Whats the use of Titanium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesiss

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so whats the use of titanium when Twrp can make a back up? I want to know if i really need to do a back up with titanium before i flash a new rom...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Titanium allows you to backup system settings and apps with data. This allows you to flash the new ROM (or whatever you're doing) and restore system settings and apps. It's more of a time saver and a good way to move apps with data over so you don't have to re-download everything.

Be advise that backing up system settings sometimes causes problems. Use Titanium to backup apps with data and go from there :)

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I look at it like this:
Titanium Backup is for backing up parts (apps, data, and such)
Nandroid Backup (twrp)is for backing up everything! (this can save your ass)
When you restore a nandroid it will restore your system to the exact way it was when you created the backup.
Titanium is great for restoring little bits and pieces of a previous set up.

Reactions: Over-iOS

incarceration

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally I prefer MyBackup Root instead of Titanium.
They essentially do the same thing but MyBackup Root is a lot easier, it doesn't have any annoying (or near as much) advertising annoyances and it's also capable of doing scheduled backups

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Use titanium to restore the data and apps from one ROM you were running on to a whole other OS. You can do the same with recovery by just restoring the data but there are issues that can occur if you restore the whole data partition.... Basically use titnanium if u don't know the difference ;)

Sent from my Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk.

Genesiss

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
So, if I have a recovery image I will have everything I had when the image was done. While Titanium backs up certain things to be restored if needed. Can I restore with twrp a back up made up in titanium?

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok.. recovery... BACKS UP EVERYTHING... including the operating system etc...

This is done in RECOVERY

Titanium.. yes backs up specific chosen apps and data.. games, system apps, text messages, etc...

This is done WITH Titanium from inside the OS.

Example.. (If your not a super geek like me and still use the data partition from recovery to achieve this)

Hey, I wanna try that new ROM. Looks cool. Ok let me backup all my games and data for it so I can play it from where I am on my new ROM I wanna try...

Start up Titanium, choose to backup Game and Data...

Ok, now I can install that new ROM from RECOVERY.

Boot into recovery... Install ROM, Boot into new ROM

Hey, wow... this ROM is cool.. only wish I still had my saved games and stuff... OH WAIT! TITANIUM BACKUP!

Download Titanuim and RESTORE your game and data...

TADA!

Data restored.. you didnt have to start over.

*** I used a game as the example cause its easiest to imagine ***

Hope that helped :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol