HTCdev or REVOLUTIONARY?

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTCdev or REVOLUTIONARY

Revolutionary. Hands down. No qquestions.

Assuming you did not take the update. If you took the update then I would revert back and then use revolutionary. I have not tried reverting back from the latest 2.08 OTA so take that with a grain of salt but I am almost positive it can be done (maybe).

Reactions: lopezzito

safetypin

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
DO NOT USE HTCs METHOD TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER

By using htcs method to unlock your bootloader all you basically do is get your bootloader unlocked with s-on, so its worthless, it wont even let you flash a custom recovery, we just did it on my buddys 3vo and we cant flash anything, we even checked out some other forums and other ppl are having the same problem, wait for revolutionary to update and use it, which is what I will be doing, so glad we tried that out on his phone first instead of mine :) :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just a side note that warrant is void by using HTC. The. Same might be true for Revolutionary, but at least you don't have the device registered with HTC so they know which devices have been unlocked.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

jamexman

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTCdev or REVOLUTIONARY

Revolutionary. Hands down. No qquestions.

Assuming you did not take the update. If you took the update then I would revert back and then use revolutionary. I have not tried reverting back from the latest 2.08 OTA so take that with a grain of salt but I am almost positive it can be done (maybe).

Stupid me, I updated. I'm willing to be the ginea pig an revert back and try. Sorry my n00bness, how do I revert back?

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com
Ok, update.

I was able to root my phone. No S-Off, but I wonder if that matters.
Really, I just wanted root access, not custom roms.

So you can still flash CWM, and flash in superuser.

canterrain

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Just as a follow up to this.

Initially it was believed that using the HTC unlock method would prevent using a custom recovery or a custom rom. I'm happy to say it's definitely not true.

As I stated above, following those previous instructions allowed me to get the recovery on the phone just fine. Today I installed Cleanrom (man that thing flies by the way, excellent excellent rom).

Phone is running great. There's only -one- weird thing I've run into.

I can't use the four in one power menu to get to recovery. (You know, hold power button, and when you restart choose recovery). It ends up on the error screen like you don't have a recovery installed.

But doing a full power off and getting to the bootloader still allows me to get to recovery. Not sure what that's about, but losing that bit of convenience isn't a dealbreaker to me.

rexdeaz

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Kernel built into Roms

Ok, I'm in a bit of an odd spot here. I have the earlier software version and bootloader 1.40 but I can't root via Revolutionary for some odd reason (keeps saying "waiting for device). I want to gain root access somehow and the only other way right now is via the method in this thread. However, one of the main reasons I want to root is so that I may flash a rom with a kernel built in that automatically scales the CPU, over and underclocking it deems fit. But I'm reading that unlocking my bootloader via HTCDev will not allow for the flashing of custom kernels. Here is the main question: If the rom I flash has a custom kernel built in will the effects of the kernel still take hold or will the rom give me basically the same performance for my battery as the stock does?

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Kernel built into Roms

Ok, I'm in a bit of an odd spot here. I have the earlier software version and bootloader 1.40 but I can't root via Revolutionary for some odd reason (keeps saying "waiting for device). I want to gain root access somehow and the only other way right now is via the method in this thread. However, one of the main reasons I want to root is so that I may flash a rom with a kernel built in that automatically scales the CPU, over and underclocking it deems fit. But I'm reading that unlocking my bootloader via HTCDev will not allow for the flashing of custom kernels. Here is the main question: If the rom I flash has a custom kernel built in will the effects of the kernel still take hold or will the rom give me basically the same performance for my battery as the stock does?

Use Revolutionary. You need to make sure that you have the proper drivers/system files setup for your operating system, ie Windows. I think that is your issue. I guess you need to have HTC Sync uninstalled also, but that didn't seem to cause an issue for me. Also, in your power options make sure that fastboot is not checked. Those are the main things that come to mind... Hope it helps!

rexdeaz

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Kernel built into Roms

Use Revolutionary. You need to make sure that you have the proper drivers/system files setup for your operating system, ie Windows. I think that is your issue. I guess you need to have HTC Sync uninstalled also, but that didn't seem to cause an issue for me. Also, in your power options make sure that fastboot is not checked. Those are the main things that come to mind... Hope it helps!
I wish it were that simple. I've poured over every bit of info about how to properly do this for the better part of three weeks now. I need an expert at this point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance