Unrooted. Just took update. What are my root options?

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I got a replacement Evo 3D and the guy at the store updated to the new OTA. Do I have any options for rooting? If I could flash roms, have wireless hotspot, and overclock ill be happy. Am I screwed until the unrevoked is updated for the update? Thanks.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I got a replacement Evo 3D and the guy at the store updated to the new OTA. Do I have any options for rooting? If I could flash roms, have wireless hotspot, and overclock ill be happy. Am I screwed until the unrevoked is updated for the update? Thanks.

Wondering the same thing.

[GUIDE]Root Evo 3D!|Win/Mac/Linux|VIDEO WALKTHRU|HTC Unlock Method|08/23/2011 - xda-developers

This is my third posting. I have asked the OP of the "official" revolutionary thread to post this info in his OP but he is ignoring me?

Either way... Do that and you will be fine.

jamesjeter1

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Dude, I used HTC unlock, and cwm and I'm flashing custom stuff. I'm running cleanrom 2.1 with WiFi tether too. Search htchacks.com for the step by step on how to do it. There's a zip file and the only step u use from HTC is step 10. Everything else will be in the zip file and there's a you tube video guide too.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
so i checked out the HTC unlock method and it looks like you can't get superuser access and can't run kernels that allow overclocking. Am I not getting the point or is this correct? Thanks for talking me thru this.

planet_x

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Well the first thing you should have done was to tell them NOT to give you the OTA otherwise they can keep the phone, they dont have to give you the OTA and you didnt have to accept it, that's of course too late now but for those who have to replace, keep that in mind.

That said, you are now pretty well out of luck until the boys at revo. come up with a fix or are able to completely get around the 1.5hboot and fully root the phone..

You will be able to flash twrp, you can flash roms, there are success stories of this even while using the HTC unlock method. You can read up on the xda htc evo 3d General forum for what is and is not currently working.

the best advice would be to WAIT and DO NOTHING and TURN OFF ANY FURTHER OTA updates: Settings, System Updates, HTC software update and UNCHECK scheduled check.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Great advice. Thanks!

Scrosler - Will cleanrom work with this root method? If so, I'm gonna do it tonight!
Thanks
This method works just the same as the revolutionary method. Its just done by HTC instead of Revolutionary. At this time I have plenty of CleanROM users that used the HTC Unlock method and have report no issues at all.

Reactions: czarphanguye#AC

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - I'm starting right now.
You said it's the same as revolutionary, but I thought the HTC method doesn't allow me to overclock. Is that just bad information? I truly appreciate your help, as do many other readers, I'm sure. People don't always treat newbies so nicely.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - I'm starting right now.
You said it's the same as revolutionary, but I thought the HTC method doesn't allow me to overclock. Is that just bad information? I truly appreciate your help, as do many other readers, I'm sure. People don't always treat newbies so nicely.
Just bad information.

People "think" alot of things. But it has yet to be proven. They say that because the new base being used (2.3.4) is not the same as the old base (2.3.3) so the OC kernels do not work at all with the new ROMS hence people think its the unlock method causing that.

Its not.

Its lack of a 2.3.4 kernel.

Oh and I am nothing more than a newb my self... Just got tons of experience is all, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: czarphanguye#AC

azrael.arach

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just bad information.

People "think" alot of things. But it has yet to be proven. They say that because the new base being used (2.3.4) is not the same as the old base (2.3.3) so the OC kernels do not work at all with the new ROMS hence people think its the unlock method causing that.

Its not.

Its lack of a 2.3.4 kernel.

Oh and I am nothing more than a newb my self... Just got tons of experience is all, lol

You can't flash any boot.img files with only the htc unlock. There are slightly modified boot.img and kernels that with a lot of testing show it does not flash. Mdsum of the kernel partition shows same return on stock kernel and after trying to flash a modified 2.3.4 kernel.

For all reasons with even the htc unlock custom rooms are useless since 99% of them use a modified boot.img

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com
I'm interested in rooting my evo3d but I've always been scared to do it. I never rooted or flashed any Rom before in ny life. The only thing I did closest to rooting was with my pre using preware, etc.

Anyways. Is it safe to assume if I root using HTC's method I can install the Rome mentioned in these threads? Cleanrom and viper or venom ROM. Seems I keep seeing conflicting things.

Also, I know zilch about kernals on android phones. Do these roms come with overclocking or does that need set up separately?

Thanks and sorry for beating a dead horse if these questions have been asked before!

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
You can't flash any boot.img files with only the htc unlock. There are slightly modified boot.img and kernels that with a lot of testing show it does not flash. Mdsum of the kernel partition shows same return on stock kernel and after trying to flash a modified 2.3.4 kernel.

For all reasons with even the htc unlock custom rooms are useless since 99% of them use a modified boot.img

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Ok.... well ridle me this?

I have a MODIFIED stock kernel in my CleanROM and SenselessROM 2.x that adds init.d functionality as well as removing some of the bloatware at the kernel level. It flashes fine.

Whoever told you that its not flashing is incorrect sir. It does flash. As more proof to this, people have reported boot looping with incorrect kernels on HTC Root method. If your statements were correct... Then... You would not have boot loop because the incorrect kernel would not have flashed.

I know alot of people on the inetnetz say alot of things... But I am telling you this from hard experience.

Secondly, your statements would indicate that those that HTC Unlocked are not currently runnign my ROM. But they are. With the benefits of the modded kernel. Just read a page back and you can see that.

Can you please provide a citation for your statements? I would like to investigate this further.