| || |
Re: OTA update from Sprint
I rooted it with instructions .... I believe out was the following:
Full Root Section●
This is the full root section for those that don't care about backing up their apps.
●Clear Traces of Past Temp Root●
1. Clear all traces of the temporary root
1. On your phone, go to Menu>Settings>SD & phone storage 2. Select Factory data reset 3. ClickResetPhone 4. ClickEraseEverything and your phone will reboot and do the factory reset
2. When the phone restarts, unlock the phone and skip through the whole setup wizard 3. Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development and make USB Debugging is CHECKED 4. Go to the Dialer(Phone) and dial ##3282# 5. Select View Mode 6. Select Data Profile 7. Write down the email under "User Name" (this may get erased in the root process. If we write this down, we can just put it back in after root if the Profile Update fails)
●Install Android SDK●
1. On your computer download the Android SDK for your OS (this guide will work with Windows and Linux). This guide uses the r12 Windows Installer. 2. Run the exe file that you just downloaded by double clicking on it and install the Android SDK. I change the install location to C:/android-sdk
If you don't have Java installed, click the link it gives you, download JDK Java SE 6 and select your OS (I'm on Windows 64bit). Run the file and install Java. Once complete, just hit Back on the Android SDK installer and then Next.
●Install Drivers and Prepare for Root●
1. Make sure your phone is NOT connected to the computer. 2. Make sure that HTC Sync is not installed on your computer (if you didn't do the temp root section)
1. ClicktheStart button in Windows 2. Type uninstall a program in the search box and hit Enter 3. Make sure HTC Sync does not show up in the list. If it does, uninstall it
3. Download the HTC Driver Pack (if you didn't do the temp root section) and install the HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe you just downloaded. 4. Plug in your phone to the computer. If it asks where to install drivers from, just select Install Automatically. 5. Download the Revolutionary Exploit by selecting your OS (I'm using Windows). 6. Leavethepageopen aswe will useitlater 7. Right click the revolutionary file you just downloaded by right clicking and selecting Extract All. 8. Download the TWRP Recovery - Download PG86IMG.zip version or just click this direct link. 9. Go to the this PG86IMG-twrp-shooter zip file that you just downloaded and rename it "PG86IMG" with NO .zip at the end. Your computer knows its a zip file. 10. Put your phone into disk drive mode by dragging down the notification bar,clickChargeOnlyand changeitto Disk Drive mode. 11. On your computer, transfer the PG86IMG zip file to the phone. Don't put it inside any folder, just drag it on the the Removable Disk that is your phone and wait for it to transfer.
●Apply S-Off and Flash Recovery●
1. Go to the revolutionary exploit folder that you extracted and run the "revolutionary" application file that is inside by double clicking. 2. It will giveyou your serial number. If it doesn't this can be found under your battery on your phone or on the box your phone came in. Open up the revolutionary.io page that we left open (afterdownloading the exploit) and put this serial numberinto the Serial Number section. 3. Select your operating system, device, and HBOOT version (also shown in the command prompt from the revolutionary exploit that we are running). 4. Click Generate Key and type the key it gives you into the open command prompt and hit enter. Let it the exploit run. It may reboot a few times. 5. It will askif you want to install ClockworkMod recovery. I select n for No, but you can say yes. It may crash. If it does. Just skip it. We will install a recovery now anyways. 6. Your phone should now be in Fastboot and say S-Off at the top. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Power Down. Clickthepowerbutton on your phone to select it. 7. Take off the back of the phone and take out the battery for 10 seconds. 8. Put the battery back in, put the back on, HOLD the Volume Down button and then press and HOLD the Power Button at the same time and it will bootinto HBOOT . 9. It will askif you want to start update (of the PG86IMG.zip that we put on the phone). Press Volume Up for yes.
●Install Superuser Permissions●
1. When it is done, we need to delete the file. So press the Power Button to reboot the phone and let it start up. PLUG IN your phone while its booting up. 2. Your phone will go through Hands Free Activation. Let it do this and then press OK. 3. Let it do the PRL Update and press OK. 4. Cancel the firmware update or just wait for it to fail. 5. Drag down the notification bar and put your phone into disk drive mode. If it doesn't show up, unplug your phone and plug it back in. 6. On your computer, delete the PG86IMG.zip from your phone. 7. Download this Superuser file and transfer it to the phone to the same location as the deleted PG86IMG (i.e. not inside any folder, just directly on thephone). 8. Power off the phone(hold the Power Button and select Power Off) 9. Wait for it to completelyturn off. Once off hold down the Volume Down button and the Power Button to boot into HBOOT. If it doesn't boot into HBOOT, take out the battery, put it back in, and try again. 10. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Recovery and select it by pressing the Power Button 11. Once in recovery, select Install Zip (by pressing the power button) 12. Select Choose Zip to Flash (by pressing the power button) 13. Use the Volume Down button to go down to the superuser zip filethatwe put on thephone and select it by pressing the Power Button. 14. It will install quickly. Use the Volume Down button to go down to Reboot and select it with the Power Button 15. You are now complete rooted with S-Off and a custom recovery. Once booted, you can login to Google, download Titanium Backup, and Restore your apps by opening TB, hitting Menu>Batch and selecting Restore all apps with