About to unlock 1.5 with HTC and root...couple of questions

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm dumb.
I had an Evo 3D on 1.4, but traded it for an Epic Touch and now I'm back to the Evo 3D, but it's on Bootloader 1.5.

There's at least 4-5 guides on how to best root and install roms on 1.5 but they all do things differently.

Questions

* Is there a method that allows me to install TWRP and then flash roms like I could on 1.4 or are those days over?

* I saw some instuctions here (Flash your a** off) - [GUIDE] HTC Unlock Hboot 1.50 + TWRP Recovery + Root + Flash Ur Ass Off! [9.11.11] - xda-developers

* Another set of instructions here - See post #29 It appears this one uses Clockwork recovery - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-3d-rooting-roms-hacks/124903-tool-v2-installing-twrp-recovery-1-1-1-all-hboots-3.html

So which way is preferred/easier to flash roms/less likely to brick my phone?
I was a flashing champ thanks to Scott, the man who invented cleanrom, but I feel lost in the jungle here.

So, what should I do? I'm sitting here at the computer hoping for someone to guide me.

Also, assuming when ICS DOES come out, someone will just create a ROM and we'll flash it. Right?

Thanks

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot. I actually tried it myself. and I did it using a combo of the links above. I unlocked and got root using HTC.
I then installed recover using the program found in the FIRST post of my second link.
Then flashed Cleanrom using second post in the first link I have above from the SD card once I ran twrp from the command prompt on the computer.

I''m still really confused,. Why do we have to bring up fastboot and then TWRP through the computer to flash a kernal and/or rom? Why not just go right into fastboot from the bootloader menu? What makes this different?

Also, where can I get the stock kernal if I want it? Let's say I don't want to use cleanrom anymore, I'd need the stock kernal, right? Is flashing a kernal the same process as flashing a rom?

When we get ICS, will this be the same process?

Basically the days of flashing a rom without a PC are over, right? Can't do it "on the go" anymore?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the info. I never should have gotten rid of my 1.40 evo! 3d Ugh.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
As of now, and for the foreseeable future you will have use a pc to flash ROMs.

There are plenty of stock rom flashable zips floating around if you ever want to go back to stock.

Sorry about the lack of help. I am working on a project and screwed something up that really sidetracked me. I am glad everything worked out.

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot. I actually tried it myself. and I did it using a combo of the links above. I unlocked and got root using HTC.

You used the HTC method to get root? You didn't have to install a recovery to get root? I always thought you had to install a new recovery to get root. I'm asking this because I am planning on getting root this weekend so I can use WiFi Tether.

bbarend

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to have a custom recovery to get root, but you do to flash ROMs. That being said the OP installed TWRP, which is a custom recovery.

Generally speaking, each ROM has its own kernel. The kernel included with CleanROM will work way better than the stock kernel. Scott did a lot of testing on that.

Reactions: speedtouch

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The HTC process was really easy, as was following the steps I mentioned. I took the best of the best and it seems to have worked.

So.... to follow up.

1) For the foreseable future, we need to use the PC to flash roms. What would happen if I went to my recovery from fastboot and flashed WITHOUT being connected to a PC? (Same process, but without getting into TWRP through the PC commands)

2) Besides ROM's and kernels, when else would we need to use the PC to flash something?

3) Where can I find a stock rom and kernel, just in case?

Thanks a lot, you folks are the smartest people I "know".

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Did the HTC process wipe your phone? I read over on XDA that the phone is wiped sometime during or after the HTC unlock method.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci