Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Unlock, root and install custom Rom on Hboot 1.5 in (3) steps

Quote Originally Posted by taztaz8380 View Post
    Ok thanks for the info but i have one more question. When there are updates or when its time to install ics do i look for a update to this Rom or do i look for a hole new Rom.
    Also follow this thread
    [ROM] 11/20/11 - CleanROM 2.9 - GB 2.3.4 - Perfection Achieved!

This is the CleanRom thread and will keep you up to date on updates and the ICS build.

ok thanks again but i hate to be a nag but im having trouble flashing roms. after i unlocked htc method i try to flash cwm following ur steps and all it does is say sending recovery.... and never goes past that. is there a step by step video that i can use

So... I've been lurking on this thread and have been checking out the CleanRom thread. I'm extremely nervous about rooting my phone, etc. but I really want to clean up the OS and have the phone run smoother. Sooooo, I'm going to do it tonight. Hopefully I will not screw anything up.

Wish me luck, I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes. Oh and thank you for this guide!

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Quote Originally Posted by TheOpusFuller View Post
    So... I've been lurking on this thread and have been checking out the CleanRom thread. I'm extremely nervous about rooting my phone, etc. but I really want to clean up the OS and have the phone run smoother. Sooooo, I'm going to do it tonight. Hopefully I will not screw anything up.

Wish me luck, I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes. Oh and thank you for this guide!
    Good luck!

alright. No go on the root. Already having problems. For some reason my girlfriends windows 7 pc isn't recognizing my phone as a modem when it installs the drivers or something.

Second problem, when I was at the cmd prompt and copied and pasted what was needed for the ADM prompt it just said waiting for device. Nothing more. So.... I guess I give up. Not that knowledgable on this stuff and I'm worried I'll screw something up.

Ugh!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Here is a Youtube video that shows much of the process. Maybe it will help?

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

@ TheOpusFuller.... don't give up man. Watch the youtube video... sometimes seeing it is WAY easier. It is not terribly hard to do and I believe it is WELL worth it!

As you guys are doing this fresh, please let me know where you got hung up and I will revise the instructions.

I'm stuck at "waiting for device" in cmd prompt. Any suggestions?

I don't think the phone is reading the disk image. Does that make sense?

I'm also getting hung up at the command prompt. That's basically my only problem. When I type in the first command it just says waiting for device.

Hmmmm.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Quote Originally Posted by TheOpusFuller View Post
    I'm also getting hung up at the command prompt. That's basically my only problem. When I type in the first command it just says waiting for device.

Hmmmm.
    Do you have the drivers? USB debugging enabled? Phone set to charge only?

Maybe that's the problem.

Do I need these installed on the pc before I even begin?

Google Android SDK zip:
    Java Runtime Environment:
    HTC Sync:

I see these on the HTCDEV page but never installed them. This could be the first problem...

Alright. Figured it out. It was definitely a driver issue. I had to install HTC SYNC. Once I did that, I was able to type in the commands at the command prompt.

I just finished unlocking the bootloader. Now I'm onto rooting my phone.

My next question is - after I root is it easy to install a rom? I want to install the cleanrom. Have no knowledge on rom installation though.

Hmm..

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

after root, install your custom recovery, then it is on to flashing ROMs.

newboyx - check your pm's - just sent you a message.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Yes the drivers must be installed on your PC for this to work. I think that happens in the HTC part though.

Installing the Rom is the easy part! Just follow the steps or watch the Youtube video I placed in the thread #31.

After Step 2, is the phone rooted? Can I stop there and just remove apps and bloatware and such?
    Also, If i unlock using the HTC method and then root. Will the phone accept OTA updates at this point?

Thanks all.
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    After Step 2, is the phone rooted? Can I stop there and just remove apps and bloatware and such?
    Also, If i unlock using the HTC method and then root. Will the phone accept OTA updates at this point?

Thanks all.
    You can stop after the HTC method, although removing the apps may be a little work. The point of the custom Rom is that it already has all of those things removed. Saves you a TON of time. (I now use the Senselss Rom and that also has the Sense stuff removed)

I am not positive about the OTA updates (somebody may be able to answer that) but if you put the custom Rom on the phone, you will get all the updates from the Rom Updater on the phone.
    Thanked by:

Thanks. I'll check out them out. If everything works as stock and is stable I may flash but I'm likely to stay stock/rooted
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009
    Thanked by:

bootloader unlocked htc method (check)

i followed all of the steps, but when i get to step 6. to enter the commands it just keeps saying "the system cannot find the path specified"
    i tried renaming the file, deleted it. re-downloaded and extracted to the specified location. even tried a different location. nothing.
    "\cd\rootevo3dnew" is this not the correct cmd?
    this is BS im soooo close!!
    help anyone?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Quote Originally Posted by keronlezama View Post
    bootloader unlocked htc method (check)

i followed all of the steps, but when i get to step 6. to enter the commands it just keeps saying "the system cannot find the path specified"
    i tried renaming the file, deleted it. re-downloaded and extracted to the specified location. even tried a different location. nothing.
    "\cd\rootevo3dnew" is this not the correct cmd?
    this is BS im soooo close!!
    help anyone?
    If the folder is on your C drive like "c:/rootevo3dnew" then YES that is the right cmd to get to that folder. You can try typing "C:\cd\rootevo3dnew"

and remember.... NO quotes!
    Thanked by:
    keronlezama likes this.

its not working and i retraced my steps about 50 times. its not finding the folder for some strange reason. as stated that the zip folder must be extracted in C drive with the same name. thats what i did and i have the senseless rom on my phones SD card waiting to be unleashed. any ideas of a workaround. different location for the file, rename it, did i extract it wrong or something?
    thanks again.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

Quote Originally Posted by keronlezama View Post

its not working and i retraced my steps about 50 times. its not finding the folder for some strange reason. as stated that the zip folder must be extracted in C drive with the same name. thats what i did and i have the senseless rom on my phones SD card waiting to be unleashed. any ideas of a workaround. different location for the file, rename it, did i extract it wrong or something?
    thanks again.
    Let's take this one step at a time...Did you go to the folder on your computer just to double check the path? Go to the file and just make sure that the folders and files match exactly as the directions state? Do you have the C:\rootevo3dnew folder on the HD of your PC? Like when you look at your C drive you see a folder named rootevo3dnew? You could also try extracting it anywhere i.e you desktop and then copying it to the root of your C drive.

The command line would be:

cd c:\rootevo3dnew

That is assuming that you created a folder on the C: named "rootevo3dnew" and extracted the file into that folder.

Quote Originally Posted by ez2bgman View Post
    The command line would be:

cd c:\rootevo3dnew

That is assuming that you created a folder on the C: named "rootevo3dnew" and extracted the file into that folder.
    Ok so I finally woke up and got into recovery mode. Having experience rooting my old EVO 4g I knew what to do from then. But looking for the senless ROM i couldn't find it in the folder.
    Q: was I suppose to extract the senseless ROM folder into the phone or just copy it their.
    Q: is there a specific name that its under.
    Side note: I installed superuser and titanium backup but still says no Su privilege. Is it cuz its rooted HTC method?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast