Unlock, root and install custom Rom on Hboot 1.5 in (3) steps.

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
First off NONE of this is my stuff. I happen to have a hboot 1.5 and had to follow a few different links to figure out how to do it. Now that I have... I am going to lay it out for people with hboot 1.5 in the simplest way. I am also going to demonstrate this with CleanRom as the custom Rom, I think this is the best one out there but you can substitute it for any other Rom. (This works for Sprint phones, if you have another carrier make sure the Rom fits for your phone).

Step 1 - Unlock using HTC unlock method:

Go to Welcome to HTCdev and sign up as a user. Then goto Unlock Bootloader->Get Started->Begin Unlock Bootloader. Follow directions to unlock your phone.

Step 2 - Download this:

Download HTCEvo3D/rooting/rootevo3dnew.zip at DownloadAndroidROM.com Look for the (click here to download) and extract it to your C drive. You will then have a folder on your C drive like: C:/rootevo3dnew

Step 3 - Download and flash new Rom:

Grab the latest version of CleanRom here HTC Evo 3D - Downloads - Scott's ROMS

Place Rom on the root of your phones SD card (just plug your phone into your PC as "disk drive" and drag the file to your phone). Then disconnect your phone from your PC.

Then on your phone:

1. Go to settings>power and make sure fast boot is NOT checked.

2. Power off your phone

3. Boot into the bootloader by holding the (Volume Down) button and press the (Power Button)

4. Once your into the bootloader, highlight fastboot and hit the pwr button.

5. Connect you phone to your pc via usb cable and your phone should now say Fastboot USB.

6. Open the command prompt on your PC (press START and type cmd) In the command window, type: \cd\rootevo3dnew to get to C:\rootevo3dnew).

7. Type the following command in the command prompt: fastboot boot cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img and press enter.

8. Your phone should have now booted into Recovery. From here you can wipe cache/flash zips as you normally would and enjoy the added benefits of flashing custom kernels.

9. On your phone choose (install from sd card) then locate the Rom on the card and flash it!

This is MUCH easier than it seems. I do realize the 3 steps were actually many steps in three groups but take them one at a time and its easy.

All of this information was stolen from other pages. I did not figure any of this out. This is only an attempt to get all of the info in one place here.

You WILL always have to do step 3 to install updates or re-flash your phone but once you look at it, you will see it's only a few steps. I put the step 3 instructions into the C:\rootevo3dnew folder on my PC so I can open them and read what to type each time I update my Rom.

This will most likely reset your phone so you will need to re-install all your apps and games and you will lose your text messages. It's worth the work, just be ready for it.

If you download CleanRom updates from the updater on your phone, use the Step 3 instructions to install them. The update will be in the CleanRom folder on your phone's SD card.

If anybody notices that I missed anything, please leave a comment and I will update the instructions.

After you can follow this thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...leanrom-2-9-gb-2-3-4-perfection-achieved.html

It is the CleanRom thread. It will keep you up to date on updates and changes.

Last edited:

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Unlock, root and install custom Rom on Hboot 1.5 in (3) steps

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was looking for something *just* like this for my hboot 1.5 EVO 3D phone. Thank you.

Two easy questions:

1. How long did this whole process take to do?
2. Is the cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img file the Clockwork recovery?

And, one more time: Thanks!!

CMILD561

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

it took me six hours of scouring the internet to learn myself what you just posted here, dangit i shoulda waited a week. once you get good at it you can do all this in 30 mins

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Excellent! I am glad people are liking it! I thought about doing this a long time ago but I wasn't sure if it would be helpful.

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was looking for something *just* like this for my hboot 1.5 EVO 3D phone. Thank you.

Two easy questions:

1. How long did this whole process take to do?
2. Is the cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img file the Clockwork recovery?

And, one more time: Thanks!!

I can't answer the whole process because when I did it... I had to go to a ton of different pages. But my guess would be less than half an hour. It only takes about 3 minutes to flash the Rom (the last part) I know because I do it all the time now.

And Yes... to question 2! You always have to start it from your PC but it runs on your phone. Once you type that into your command prompt... your phone will boot into recovery... then the rest you do from your phone.

Reactions: speedtouch

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

And anybody who does this, let me know if it seemed confusing. I will try to clean up the instructions as needed.

Reactions: speedtouch

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I have a feeling a lot of people will thank you for this :)

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I can't answer the whole process because when I did it... I had to go to a ton of different pages. But my guess would be less than half an hour. It only takes about 3 minutes to flash the Rom (the last part) I know because I do it all the time now.

And Yes... to question 2! You always have to start it from your PC but it runs on your phone. Once you type that into your command prompt... your phone will boot into recovery... then the rest you do from your phone.

Thank you. One other question, what version of Windows were you using? 7 64-bit? 7 32-bit?

omnitard

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

When I get to the point of going into the Bootloader after putting the ROM on my SD card it tells me,

"Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Press <Power> to reboot."

Got any ideas? And.. Fast Boot is unchecked.

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

When I get to the point of going into the Bootloader after putting the ROM on my SD card it tells me,

"Main Version is older!
Update Fail!

So, from the guide, you were able to complete Step 1 and 2? But getting hung up at Step 3?

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

"Main Version is older!
Update Fail!

I'm not sure of your question. Is this after you have the phone connected to your PC and enter the proper commands in your PC? And is this message coming up on your PC or on your phone?

budlight14

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

when i do the "fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin" and then go back to my phone i dont get the disclaimer to unlock the bootloader..im doing the directions exactly like they are. ANy ideas??

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

when i do the "fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin" and then go back to my phone i dont get the disclaimer to unlock the bootloader..im doing the directions exactly like they are. ANy ideas??

Is this in the HTC unlock part of the process? I am not sure what your problem may be? Try searching for a Youtube video of the HTC process? Maybe you are missing something?

ryanpsd

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

As my first post here, THANK YOU! I have spent a lot of time lurking here reading on so many different things, then started thinking about doing this to my phone. After hours of searching in the past I got the idea of what needed to be done but could not find any specifics on how to go about it, so I decided it was not worth the time for me yet. Nothing I much really "need" right now from a rooted phone. However now I think I will give this a shot whenever I get the time to sit down, back up everything and do it! Thanks again.

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

As my first post here, THANK YOU! I have spent a lot of time lurking here reading on so many different things, then started thinking about doing this to my phone. After hours of searching in the past I got the idea of what needed to be done but could not find any specifics on how to go about it, so I decided it was not worth the time for me yet. Nothing I much really "need" right now from a rooted phone. However now I think I will give this a shot whenever I get the time to sit down, back up everything and do it! Thanks again.

Rooting and flashing a new ROM to your EVO 3D is *totally* worth it. I flashed mine using many pointers from this guide and things went real well. I will never, ever go back to the stock Sprint ROM. Once you go CleanROM, you never go back!

reynoldsrobbie

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I have unlocked the bootloader via HTC. I have downloaded included ROM. I put ROM in the sd card folder on my phone. When I select the sd card from the boot list the only file I can find is a battery file? Where did I go wrong?