[How-To] Hboot 1.5 Unlock, Install TWRP Recovery & CleanROM

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind I am a complete newb when it comes to anything Android. This guide is for the complete newb who is unfortunate enough to have Hboot 1.5. I assume, but am not sure, that this guide can be used to install any ROM. It just happens that CleanROM is the one I chose.

Thanks to Tommymsw, I was able to use his How-To to guide my path to CleanROM. The only difference between his and mine is that he used ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) and I used TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP). Both recoveries do essentially the same thing, as far as I know.

Please see Tommymsw's excellent guide if you'd like to use CWM as your recovery rather than TWRP: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...oot-install-custom-rom-hboot-1-5-3-steps.html

Now, on to the show.

Go to HTC Dev and create an account then begin the HTC Unlock Bootloader process from the website.

******The HTC Unlock Bootloader method will wipe your phone. All your apps will be blown away, so if you have important data in them, make a backup somehow.******

Note: I run 64-bit Windows 7 and I used the 32-bit version of JDK. When you download and install Android SDK R15, it does not include fastboot.exe. HTC will have a link for you at Step 5.c.2 to get fastboot.exe. (That really tripped me up until I read HTC's fine print.)

Your phone will reboot after the HTC Bootloader unlock is complete. After a while of booting and loading your phone will take you to the initial setup of Android. Just skip everything, unless you want to configure it for some reason. (No need to since you're going to wipe it all in a moment anyway.)

Connect the USB cable if not already connected. Put the phone into USB Drive mode. We're going to place two files onto the USB drive. Copy the CleanROM Zip file to the EVO 3D's USB drive.

Also, copy "boot.img" from the CleanROM Zip to the C:\Android folder you created during the HTC Unlock Bootloader process.

From Windows, eject the USB drive. Pull the USB cable, wait 10 seconds, then plug the cable back in. If you touch nothing on the phone it will default to Just Charge mode, that's what we want.

On the phone, go to Settings > Applications > Development > Enable USB debugging.

Follow the instructions from Scott to install TWRP on your phone: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...rp-recovery-1-1-1-all-hboots.html#post1325108 Come back here once you're done.

From the Bootloader screen go into Recovery. Select: Wipe, then Wipe Everything (Data Factory Reset). Once it's done wiping, select Back to Main Menu.

Select: Install Zip-->Choose Zip to Flash-->Select your CleanROM’s Zip file-->Flash Zips Now.

Once it's done flashing the ROM, go to Main Menu-->Advanced Menu-->Reboot Menu-->Reboot to Bootloader.

From Windows open a Command window and go to C:\Android.

Run the following commands: "fastboot flash boot boot.img" then "fastboot reboot" without the quotes, of course. This installs the kernel so that your WiFi and 4G will work, as well as Sprint HotSpot and WiFi Tethering.

Done!

As a side note I had a lot of trouble with my 3G speeds after installing CleanROM and the kernel. Radiation0512 recommended I first do a Profile Update and then a PRL Update, in that order. I did as he recommended and my speeds increased quite a bit. See here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...3-4-cleaner-than-whistle-117.html#post1418928

Last edited:

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
This looks detailed and accurate. I like that!

Good job and thanks for the participation!

Thank you. That's exactly what I was shooting for. And thanks for confirming the section on flashing the kernel, that was the only part I wasn't sure of. Like you said, if the WiFi turns on and works, kernel was flashed correctly. And my WiFi certainly does work!

ryanpsd

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I found this thread after the other one... I went your route today and rooted mine. Thanks to this, it was almost too easy. Thank you so much for your contribution, and Scott: CleanROM is pretty slick, keep it up!

Since I am still new to the rooting, one dumb question (for anyone really): During the HTC unlock process, the last step says you can do a fastboot lock to re-lock your bootloader. Is this required or necessary? I took their "you can" as a "could" and not "should" so I didn't perform this step and left mine unlocked. Is this correct?

Speedtouch, your instructions were almost spot on. The only thing I can recall right now that wasn't all there was this step:

From Windows open a Command window and go to C:\Android.

Run the following commands: "fastboot flash boot boot.img" then "fastboot reboot" without the quotes, of course. This installs the kernel so that your WiFi and 4G will work, as well as Sprint HotSpot and WiFi Tethering.

Unless I missed it somewhere, it wasn't previously mentioned to copy the boot.img file to C:\Android. I made an assumption that this is the same boot.img from the cleanrom zip, so I copied it to this folder then performed the step. I hope that was the right thing to do, and I think it was. Wifi works (I have no 4G in my area).

Thanks again both of you! :) I will continue lurking and will try to start contributing soon!

Reactions: speedtouch

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You're very welcome. Heck, if it wasn't for Tommymsw, neither of us would be rooted. :)

You are right to keep your phone unlocked. As best I know, if you lock it, you will again lose all access to loading new recoveries, roots, and ROMs. So definitely keep it unlocked.

I looked over my instructions and I was able to find where I mentioned to extract boot.img and place it onto the USB drive.
Connect the USB cable if not already connected. Put the phone into USB Drive mode. We're going to place two files onto the USB drive. Copy the CleanROM Zip file to the EVO 3D's USB drive. Also, copy "boot.img" from the CleanROM Zip to the USB drive.

Since it's already on the EVO's USB drive (SD card) before you issue the commands "fastboot flash boot boot.img" then "fastboot reboot" from the Windows command line, you do not need to copy it to C:\Android. Or....at least I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I did not place boot.img into my C:\Android folder. I'll check tonight when I get home. If I am wrong and you are right I will correct my guide immediately. Thanks for bringing this up in any case.

Were there any other things that you would clarify or explain further in my guide? It's really helpful to have another person follow the guide then point out roadblocks or sections that just aren't clear.

ryanpsd

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I looked over my instructions and I was able to find where I mentioned to extract boot.img and place it onto the USB drive.
ryanpsd said:
Connect the USB cable if not already connected. Put the phone into USB Drive mode. We're going to place two files onto the USB drive. Copy the CleanROM Zip file to the EVO 3D's USB drive. Also, copy "boot.img" from the CleanROM Zip to the USB drive.

Since it's already on the EVO's USB drive (SD card) before you issue the commands "fastboot flash boot boot.img" then "fastboot reboot" from the Windows command line, you do not need to copy it to C:\Android. Or....at least I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I did not place boot.img into my C:\Android folder. I'll check tonight when I get home. If I am wrong and you are right I will correct my guide immediately. Thanks for bringing this up in any case.

Yeah, I recall doing that step and that's what made me stop when I was doing the "fastboot flash boot boot.img". I thought I missed something because I was expecting it to look locally (in C:\Android) for the file, but tried it regardless thinking it'd look on the SD card, but it said something along the lines of file missing, or could not find... etc, so that is why I re-extracted and copied it to C:\Android. Maybe I still missed something though.

Anyway, otherwise I read over your steps again, and as far as I can recall it was pretty accurate. I wish I could easily do it again and I'd be glad to note it step by step.

I think yours was more clear than the HTC unlock tutorial, as far as some of the prerequisites from HTC. Obviously I did not have HTC Sync or the Android SDK tools before, as well their site said that the Java JRE was needed. Also Android SDK required the Java JDK, so I downloaded and installed all them before beginning with the HTC steps.

I think, if you want me to be picky, one of the menu names in the recovery while choosing the zip or in the wipe menu wasn't exact, but it was still close. But I can't really recall which since it wasn't really an issue, or if I just read it wrong. Really it was pretty good :cool: I'd do it again for sure with the same instructions.

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, brother! You were right. I did have boot.img in my C:\Android folder. I'll update my guide in just a moment. Sorry that part tripped you up and you got a file not found error.

Yeah, the HTC tutorial was ok, but a little confusing. Especially the part about getting fastboot.exe. I am glad my instructions came across as more clear. That was definitely the intent. If it worked out well for you, I suspect it'll work out well for others.

I'll see if I can find the nitpicky menu name in the recovery. Thanks for all your input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol