don't want a rom, just to do some tweeks...

Jc3

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
i just made my phone s-off used the instructions from htc. i don't want to flash a rom, all i really want to do is be able to get rid of stock apps i don't want, hide the gps icon, maybe some other small tweeks... what is my next step?

Jc3

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
just rooted with recovery... can i just download super user from the market? i read somewhere you had to be in fastboot with 1.5...

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Download Titanium Backup. Then from within that app you can go through the list of all your installed apps and remove them at will. But you must have root access in order to do so.

Jc3

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
well.. according to terminal emulator i don't have root... i have to be in fastboot usb and use cmd promt to start into recovery even.... i am pretty ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing. also, i noticed on hboot that it still says s-on, it just says **unlocked** at the top now.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That means you have unlocked the bootloader. Not as familiar with rooting with hboot 1.5 but I do know you will have to install custom recovery and su.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd like some clarification as well. No interest in a custom rom, but would like to get rid of CIQ and some bloatware. I have hboot 1.5.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Check out tommynsw's and speedtouch's threads on rooting and installing custom recovery for those with hboot 1.5. Several people have used those guides with success. From there you can decide whether or not to install a custom ROM (CleanROM and Senseless are highly recommended, I use CleanROM). You can then flash the updated stock ROM, which is 100% stock, just rooted if you want to remain stock only.

Reactions: speedtouch

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, when you say you don't want to install a ROM, what are you saying exactly? Is it the whole concept of installing one that you don't like, or are you thinking more how Cyanogenmod is a big difference from Sense?

I can tell you that if you installed CleanRom on your device, you probably wouldn't even notice a difference from stock. Except you wouldn't have a gps icon if it's off, no CIQ, and some stock garbage is gone.

Sounds like CleanRom is exactly what you want, it's not as much a whole new world of a ROM as much as it's making stock a bit more, well, clean.

Jc3

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
yeah, that does sound like what i want. i am not apposed to roms, i ran cm7 on my incredible, i just like sense.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not opposed to roms, I just don't and wouldn't have the time to diagnose or fix any problems should any occur. I just want to be able to root and get rid of bloatware. I'm fine with stock.

speedtouch

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah, that does sound like what i want. i am not apposed to roms, i ran cm7 on my incredible, i just like sense.

I'm not opposed to roms, I just don't and wouldn't have the time to diagnose or fix any problems should any occur. I just want to be able to root and get rid of bloatware. I'm fine with stock.

Then you both should go with CleanROM. It's exactly what you're looking for.

mjcole2003

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is do a nandroid backup. then you can try all the roms you want. If theres a problem, then just nandroid back to where you were.

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I also wanted a stock experience with not much changes like the OP. But CleanRom wasn't for me. I hated the animations and the battery percent mod.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Well, when you say you don't want to install a ROM, what are you saying exactly? Is it the whole concept of installing one that you don't like, or are you thinking more how Cyanogenmod is a big difference from Sense?
For me, I just want to test a full remote wipe with Cerberus right now. So I want to backup my save games mostly to restore later. And all my app settings (mostly ADW). The non-ASOP roms all seem to have the issue of needed to unlock for caller id, and that is a deal breaker for me. I'm just waiting for CM7/9 mostly so all of sense is gone as well =)

Though, it looks like to do the HTC unlock, they wipe the phone? Not to mention if I have to go through HTC, I risk them using it as a cop out for warranty issues. Or.. I just lose the games and call it a day, heh.