Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts
    Carrier
    clean rom ics

Default Another ROM suggestion request

Ok, I am going to root as my son got a Nintendo 3DS as wants to connect it everywhere. I am not about to pay Sprint $30+ a month so my son can use the 3DS online when we are not at home. So it is rooting time!

Here are a few things I want from a ROM.

3D. Yes, I actually like the 3D. I want it to be working. Viewing picture, taking pictures, games, etc.

Less or no bloatware. I have no desire to use Amazon MP3, etc. I would like to choose what I have on my phone, or to remove anything that comes with it that I do not want. So having the software preinstalled on it is no problem, as long as I can remove it.

Uses less RAM then stock. More RAM the merrier I always say.

Now, if I have to use the Stock ROM to keep the 3D I will. I would even like a modified stock ROM. So all the preinstalled apps are there, but I can remove what I do not want. The root should allow me to use the wireless tether programs without paying Sprint.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Cyanogen 6.1.2 / Stock

CleanROM is what you need! Strongly recommend it!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    McPlot likes this.

Default Re: Another ROM suggestion request

Agreed, Clean Rom is great! You wont be dissapointed, all the necessary features with the original sense feel. Best combination!
    McPlot likes this.

Nocturnal blackened on xda developers is a really good rom. There is a sense removal script posted on the android revolution thread to remove all of sense from your phone. I use vanilla core as a replacement launcher. Once your rooted you can remove apps via titanium backup. But make sure you nandroid first in case anything goes wrong.

Sent from my PG86100
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts
    Carrier
    clean rom ics

Quote Originally Posted by pergerson6 View Post
    Nocturnal blackened on xda developers is a really good rom. There is a sense removal script posted on the android revolution thread to remove all of sense from your phone. I use vanilla core as a replacement launcher. Once your rooted you can remove apps via titanium backup. But make sure you nandroid first in case anything goes wrong.

Sent from my PG86100
    I forgot to say, I also like sense.

That was just a script to remove it! Nocturnal blackened comes with sense.

Sent from my PG86100

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts

I've been alternating between Nocturnal Xplod XE and CleanROM. The only fault I have found with Xplod is that MHL doesn't doesn't work, but it is my understanding that they are working on it and it has to do with the kernel. Audio is enhanced with a fantastic Beats mod and yes, 3D camera and video do work. I have to disclose that I have hboot 1.4 and rooted with Revolutionary so I'm not sure how that works for people with 1.5. in terms of different kernels. As for the stock experience without the bloat, you can't beat CleanROM and it does have everything working, including MHL. When I start missing MHL I go back to CleanROM. It's fun to change things around a bit every now and then anyway

I do have a question, pergerson, about Blackened. Does it have working MHL? May be another ROM for me to try out. Thanks

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

CleanROM is great but I moved on to Warm TwoPointThree with a few scripts running and some mods flashed.

Performance and stability is great. Very convenient.

I don't think its working on that version either. There both basically the same with different theming and launchers.

Sent from my PG86100
    CarrieK likes this.

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Never Stock

I've used quite a few ROMs but am really enjoying Myn's 2.3 RLS1. Full Sense ROM but heavily themed to give you a new experience. Load it up and check it out. I use the wireless tether app all the time with my tablet. Solid daily driver and everything works (even 3D).

[ROM] Warm TwoPointThree - Release One [ODEX/DEODEX] [11/20/2011] - Always Brilliant! - xda-developers

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts

Since the MHL thing is a kernel and not ROM issue with Nocturnal Xplod I flashed the tiamet kernel and so far it appears to be working well, although I haven't had a chance to test the MHL since I did it this morning before going to work. If it plays well together then I may stick with this combo for a while. Meh...who am I kidding...

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Synergy nightly

I just want to add my 2 cents. I shopped every ROM except warm, and the best two to me are nocturnal blackened 2.5 and cleanrom. I will add that I am still waiting for a fully functional AOSP ROM because I don't care for sense. Clean ROM is awesome, but if you want more of a visual experience as well as all the other stuff you want go with blackened ROM. It comes with the new anthrax kernal which can overclock up to 1.6ghz.

Chad Goodmans's kernels only over clock to 1.5ghz! Actually 1536mhz.

Sent from my PG86100
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts
    Carrier
    clean rom ics

I am using CleanROM now. The 3.0 one. So far so good.