Flash a ROM vs Installing a launcher

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I got my first Android phone, the Evo 3D, in July, so I'm relatively new to Android. I've been getting bored and kinda frustrated with Sense, so I've been considering rooting and flashing a ROM. I haven't made time to research all the ROM options out there, but I have a (un)healthy infatuation with stock ICS, so I've been thinking of searching for a good ROM based on 4.0.

Yesterday, on a whim, I installed a launcher for the first time (FTL Launcher free), and I'm impressed with the features that a launcher can provide. Which brings me to my question...

If a launcher can customize my phone and provide me with new features than why would I root and flash a ROM. I'm sorry if this is a really dumb question (like I said, I'm a noob), but seriously what are the differences/benefits of rooting over just using a launcher?

(I guess I'm looking for someone to sell me on rooting/flashing, because now I'm leaning toward not doing it.)

Last edited:

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
As you discovered changing launchers can change the look of your phone dramatically without much effort. For most people this is enough. But remember Sense is still running in the background right now on your phone. As far as processing power is concerned you are running 2 launchers at the same time. The 3D is more than capable of handling this. If you switch back to the default launcher you will notice all of your widgets are still updating even though you can't see them. If you are happy with how your phone performs right now, keep it that way. I am a huge fan of rooting and flashing custom ROMs, but you seem to be content with what you have. Keep it that way. If you ever change your mind we will be more than happy to help.

Reactions: jean15paul

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I removed sense all together. in my honest opinion my RAM increased by double and my phone is a lot smoother without it. I use vanilla core as my launcher now. It's a pure ginger bread launcher and I couldn't be more pleased. Rooting is definitely the way to go, just do your research before rooting and flashing roms.

Sent from my PG86100

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
As you discovered changing launchers can change the look of your phone dramatically without much effort. For most people this is enough. But remember Sense is still running in the background right now on your phone. As far as processing power is concerned you are running 2 launchers at the same time. The 3D is more than capable of handling this. If you switch back to the default launcher you will notice all of your widgets are still updating even though you can't see them. If you are happy with how your phone performs right now, keep it that way. I am a huge fan of rooting and flashing custom ROMs, but you seem to be content with what you have. Keep it that way. If you ever change your mind we will be more than happy to help.

@newboyx, Thanks for the info. You said that Sense is still running in the background, but I'm not entirely sure. If I switch back to the Sense launcher after not using it for awhile (i.e. hours), it seems like Sense stopped running (crashed?) and has to start again. I get the white screen with the green "htc" and then Sense take a while to reload. Once it does that, I can switch back and forth without that happening like they are both running, but if I wait a few hours I get the same behavior. I didn't think to check cached processes to see if Rosie Utility was running before switching back to Sense just now. I'll check that later.

Anyway, you brought up some good points about performance. Thanks. Also, I assume that rooting/flashing give me more control and more options for customization than simply installing a launcher, right? Examples?

I removed sense all together. in my honest opinion my RAM increased by double and my phone is a lot smoother without it. I use vanilla core as my launcher now. It's a pure ginger bread launcher and I couldn't be more pleased. Rooting is definitely the way to go, just do your research before rooting and flashing roms.

Sent from my PG86100

@ pergerson6, you said you removed sense all together. I assume doing that would require rooting. Is there at least a way to kill Sense while I'm using another launcher?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of. You will still have it running in the background and it will still be using resources. Even if you install another launcher. There are tons of apps user and system in sense.

Sent from my PG86100

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Some of the benefits of installing a custom ROM are...

1. Removed bloat-ware (Sprint installed apps that never get used).
2. Performance tweaks (like zip aligned files, overclocked CPUs, battery optimizations, HW UI acceleration, ect...). Keep in mind that each ROM is unique so it will bring different options to the table. Read the OP for each ROM and see what it has to offer.
3. Unlocked ability to theme it the way you want it (deodexed versions).
4. Access to restricted programs, like wireless tethering, beats audio enhacements, etc...
5. Access to updates that newer version of Android have in them that your current version of Android may not!

Installing a new Launcher gives you a new look and feel, but it's still the same phone under the covers. When you install a new ROM many things under the hood are changed dramatically (for the better in most cases). As an example, a new launcher does not allow you to overclock your CPU to 1.5, 1.6 or even 1.8 GHz! Each ROM brings a new experience and a new level of performance and optimizations that you will not get from just installing a new launcher. I guess it just depends and what you are wanting from your phone. If it's just a new look, then a new launcher will do. If it's a new look with better performance and better battery life, then a new ROM is what you are really looking for.

Oh, by the way, all the ICS ROMs for the E3D are awesome! They are all still in an alpha stage, so there are bugs and features not working at all. But it is SWEET! I find myself always wanting to go back to ICS no matter what other ROM I try. I highly recommend Kushdecks ICS ROM, but Joelz has some good ROM ports from other phones and has even released an "unofficial" alpha build of CM9, which is based off ICS AOSP! There are lots of great options out there when you root.

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
also, I like how the custom roms spiff up the notification bar.. more settings, looks nicer, better default battery icons.. I haven't seen a customizing launcher/apps be able to do as much there.

twister99403

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
there are many benefits to rooting, battery life, speed etc... if you want a decent setup that makes your phone scream and gives you badass battery life head over to xda developers and flash meanrom [ROM] Feb-16 MeanROM v1.2 - one lean, mean 2.17.651.5 machine - xda-developers and leedroid tweaks [MOD +OTA] 01.02.2012 Leedroid Tweaks CDMA v4.0.3 -Redownload OTA Tweaks PLS! =) - xda-developers on top of meanrom. Leedroid tweaks give you the OPTION to completely kill sense/rosie from running in the background and you can run either standard launcher or whatever launcher of your choice...

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. One more question, if you root and flash is it possible to go back to unrooted stock? Would there be any reason to?

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can go back to stock. You may want to if you need to take the phone in for service, or if you want to install a Sprint /HTC OTA.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. One more question, if you root and flash is it possible to go back to unrooted stock? Would there be any reason to?

Yes, you can always go back to stock...BUT, once you've rooted and flashed a custom ROM, the idea of going back to stock will most likely have zero appeal. Everytime I go through the process of flashing a new ROM, and I have to load stock GB as part of the process, I can't get out of it fast enough!

dimebagdan65

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If you are on hboot 1.5, you cannot completely undo the rooting process at this time as your bootloader will say "RELOCKED" rather than "LOCKED". You won't be rooted anymore, sure, but your warranty is still void unfortunately...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If you are on hboot 1.5, you cannot completely undo the rooting process at this time as your bootloader will say "RELOCKED" rather than "LOCKED". You won't be rooted anymore, sure, but your warranty is still void unfortunately...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

While that may be technically true, the folks at Sprint would have to be specifically looking for this. If you put the stock ROM back on there, then there really isn't a reason for them to look for this. I took my phone in after restoring the RUU because my screen wouldn't respond to touch on the bottom and they replaced my whole phone for free, no questions asked! I had even registered on HTC's web site to unlock the bootloader. YMMV with this, guess it just depends on how nosey the Sprint tech wants to be. At the end of they day they want to make you a happy customer.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey Guys im developing a new custom rom for this device i was wondering if anyone would like to beta test it or help me improve the the software the custom rom will be called LegendaryMod please email me at [email address removed by mod] if you want to help develop it or beta test it
I removed you email address for your safety.

People can shoot you a PM for the email address :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress