Rooting for the first time. What data will I loose when I wipe?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering rooting my phone (Evo 3D) for the first time. I'm completely new to rooting, but I've been reading up and I think I'm ready. But I do have a question first. Please help out a noob.

From what I understand, I can't do a backup until I'm rooted, but rooting will wipe everything. So I'm going to loose everything on my phone's internal storage when I do it. (Am I correct?) So what (if any) stuff should I stress about losing? What do you worry about loosing when you wipe?

My initial (noob) thoughts:
  • Contacts: Backed up to google's cloud
  • Apps: Play Store and Amazone AppStore save all downloads. I'll have to back up apk's that I sideloaded myself
  • App settings and data: I don't know of a way to avoid losing this and starting from scratch. Is there? (this is probably what I'm most worried about)
  • Pictures and Video: should all be on SD card
  • Calendar: in the cloud
  • Emails: in the cloud
  • SMS messages: I don't know of a way to avoid losing this and starting from scratch. Is there?
    [*]Voicemails: I think these can be backed up to sd card, right? But if I flash a ROM that doesn't have Sprint's voicemail app how do I get voicemail?
    [*]Bookmarks: Is there a way to backup bookmarks? It's not many, I guess I can manaually recreate.
    [*]Call history: Is there a way to back it up? (Do I really care?)

Anything else I'm forgetting?

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rooting for the first time. What data will I loose when I wip

maybe im not understanding this, or maybe its different on your phone.
i am rooted on my LG phoenix, have flashed roms and the sort.
rooting didnt wipe anything nor did i loose anyting when i rooted my phone.
enlighten me please.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rooting for the first time. What data will I loose when I wip

maybe im not understanding this, or maybe its different on your phone.
i am rooted on my LG phoenix, have flashed roms and the sort.
rooting didnt wipe anything nor did i loose anyting when i rooted my phone.
enlighten me please.

I'm a noob when it comes to rooting, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been reading up and I think it depends on the method obtaining root. Usually when you root you're taking advantage of some unintended exploit to obtian root permission. Depending on that (phone specific) process, you may or may not wipe the internal storage in the process. In the case of the Evo 3D the choices are to unlock with HTC unlock tool, or to downgrade to the previous version of HBOOT which entails intentionally bricking your device and then reinstalling the OS from a computer. I'm pretty sure that both methods force you to wipe in the process.

Last edited:

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
What the hell are you talking about??? If your not flashing a rom you shouldnt loose the first rom (stock) you dont loose once your rooted and you go to a custom rom cyanogen for example then you wipe the dalvic cache and do a factory restore then flash your new rom wich will be void but i suggestvtitanium back up and yes pay for it worth it bc press menue and do a batch file it'll save everyfhing accept sms text contacts that sort of crap but sync with google for the contacts BACK UP THE ROM!! USE ROM MANAGER TO BACK UP YOUR CURRENT ROM TO THE SD :) MEANING BACK UP AND IT WILL BACK UP EVERYTHING INCASE YOU DIDNT LIKE THE CUSTOM ROM AND DONT USE HTC AND LET THEM KNOW YOUR WARRENTYS GONNA BE VOID GO TO XDA USE THE HACK KITS BUT BE CAREFUL READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS OR IT WILL BRICK(PAPER WEIGHT) and i have the at&t htc inspire i didnt loose jack