Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't install any ICS ROMS

Here's the deal. Ever since the ICS leak for the 3D I found a link for a list of "Fully functional ROMS" at this link. Yet when I try to install them, I always get boot-loops. Has anyone installed any of these ROMS because I'd like to try them out myself.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

. I wish I can remember how I fixed the boot loop problem when loading ICS.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Can't install any ICS ROMS

Quote Originally Posted by AidenSurvival View Post
    . I wish I can remember how I fixed the boot loop problem when loading ICS.
    I heard that I was supposed to install a certain kernel. Even when I did that, I still got bootloops.

What your guys issue is probably that your using TWRP recovery. You need clockwork recovery. TWRP doesnt flash ICS ROMs.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Clockwork caused my boot loop, bro.

So was it clockwork that caused it, or something you did and/or the ROM file did. Clockwork has been solid for everyone I know.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Have you tried 4ext? Based off of CWM , but 110% better.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    "Something inspirational" ~ Some smart dude
    Hit the "Thanks" button

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Yea. 4ext is now my default recovery tool.

ROM
    SOS M

I'm having the same problem, can't flash any ICS roms it just goes into boot loop, and I'm using 4ext, which is awesome by the way. anyway, I just realized I have 2.08 and not 2.17 could that be where I keep getting hung up? if so what should I do? Flash the update?

This may be your fix:

Get Flash Image GUI from the market.
    - Open it and leave it set on the radio button "Kernel Image"
    - Browse for the ROM you want to install and select it.
    - Hit OK a bunch of times and it will pull the kernel from the ROM. It will flash it and then you should boot into recovery when it prompts you. Then flash your actual ROM from recovery.

Let me know how it goes for you.

You could also look up joeykrim and Scrosler has it stickied. It's joeykrim's app and it's super.
    Last edited by UTnick; 05-11-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: credits

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Quote Originally Posted by tory38 View Post
    I'm having the same problem, can't flash any ICS roms it just goes into boot loop, and I'm using 4ext, which is awesome by the way. anyway, I just realized I have 2.08 and not 2.17 could that be where I keep getting hung up? if so what should I do? Flash the update?
    You need the 2.17 firmware.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    "Something inspirational" ~ Some smart dude
    Hit the "Thanks" button

ROM
    SOS M

so i tried the flash image gui, and then tried installing it, and it loaded to the i guess home screen, all i saw was the time, battery percentage, and my service bars, which had a X above it, and then it rebooted, and then it just does that over and over. i only tried it once, because when i try restoring one of my backups it wont and does the whole white htc sreen over and over. and i relocked and unrooted my device so now i have the 2.17. so im not really sure what the issue is. im using 4ext. pretty confused, especially the part where after it doesn't work it wont load a backup...second time its happened. suggestions anyone!??
    thanks for the advice.

I have exactly the same problems... Unlocked hboot 1.5 (HTC method), 4ext recovery, 2.17 firmware. Did the "superwipe" which some people recommend. Both CleanROM and meanROM ICS versions boot loop no matter how many resets, battery pulls, etc., I do. I haven't yet tried the Flash Image thingie that UTnick suggests.

ROM
    SOS M

man i really don't get it, i just tried the MeanICS and its not working either, it loads, allows me to unlock it, then i see the htc screen for a millisecond and its reboots, repeat cycle.

How are you guys going about flashing this? I'm on hboot 1.5 and I flashed cleanrom from 2.08, so no, 2.17 is not necessary. I did mine via PC though.

My flash process for hboot 1.5
    1. Download rom and put on my SD root.
    2. Back up anything that needs backed up.
    3. Boot into fastboot.
    4. Open command prompt on my PC. You may need to change directories to wherever your shooter.img is.
    5. Ensure phone is in fastboot and plug it into my PC. It should now read fastboot USB.
    6. In the command prompt type:

Code:
    fastboot boot cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img
    and hit enter.

7. Phone should reboot into recovery.
    8. Unplug it from my PC, nandroid, factory reset, flash rom zip.
    9. Once flashed, I reboot and let it do its thing.

Note: I use cleanrom ics. There's a separate boot.img you need to flash to use xda's newtoroot's ics/sense 4.0 rom. I have not tried it out, but hboot 1.5 people have reported success in flashing.
    -----
    Sent from my ICS-powered HTC Evo 3D
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.
    Thanked by:
    tory38 

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

I use 4ext to flash ROMs on HBOOT 1.5. Perfect.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    SOS M

yea iv had pretty good luck with it as well....but this whole ICS thing has really thrown me for a "boot loop" ha. so im not really sure what the hell is going on.

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

yea iv had pretty good luck with it as well....but this whole ICS thing has really thrown me for a "boot loop" ha. so im not really sure what the hell is going on.
    Most flash the boot.img after the ROM via fast boot.

ROM
    SOS M

thanks for all the input, but its just not working, i have tried everything i could think of and what was suggested. i have s-on would that make a difference? cause thats the only thing i can think of....

thanks for all the input, but its just not working, i have tried everything i could think of and what was suggested. i have s-on would that make a difference? cause thats the only thing i can think of....
    I'm having the exact same problem tried everything you did too

Can anyone confirm that going from s-on to s-off (via the bricking/downgrade method, wire trick method, etc.) will fix the boot loop problem?

Has anyone with s-on gotten an ICS ROM to work without boot looping?

Thanks.

Was on s-on and the only rom that worked for me was newt. Everything else gave me bootloop. Did the downgrade and everything else works. It's worth the effort to go s-off.. I'm on meanrom right now

Yeah I finally bit the bullet and got s-off using the Juopunutbear wire trick, it was actually pretty easy. Now running MeanROM ICS too, seems to be a good ROM so far. By the way in both the s-off and ROM flashing I didn't wipe anything but still everything worked.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ROM
    Trib's SolidROM 2.1/HTC

Quote Originally Posted by AidenSurvival View Post
    Most flash the boot.img after the ROM via fast boot.

I can confirm that works.
    I have 1.5 hboot with S-ON and the only way it works is to flash the boot using fast boot.

I also kept trying with both TWRP and CWM and would boot loop.
    Was able to get the Newts One S ICS ROM and the MikVirgin ICS ROM installed successfully.

For me, TWRP with SuperWipe then flash ROM then boot into fastboot and flash boot w/fast boot usually 100% success.

Quote Originally Posted by UTnick View Post
    This may be your fix:

Get Flash Image GUI from the market.
    - Open it and leave it set on the radio button "Kernel Image"
    - Browse for the ROM you want to install and select it.
    - Hit OK a bunch of times and it will pull the kernel from the ROM. It will flash it and then you should boot into recovery when it prompts you. Then flash your actual ROM from recovery.

Let me know how it goes for you.

You could also look up joeykrim and Scrosler has it stickied. It's joeykrim's app and it's super.
    I'll give it a try in a bit here

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast