Break Root and install?

IamTheCord

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I want to go away from root for now and use the finally released ICS ota, well after i tried to install it it failed ( i am assuming cause its rooted) my question is if i just rename the new OTA from sprintblahblahblah.zip to PG86IMG.zip will this work install the update and break root?

Last edited:

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
with a plethora of true Sprint ICS ROMs just moments away, why anybody would want to unroot just to take an OTA and the associated bloat is beyond me.

Reactions: pergerson6

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
with a plethora of true Sprint ICS ROMs just moments away, why anybody would want to unroot just to take an OTA and the associated bloat is beyond me.

2nd that. And I'm Rooted with s on. But my wifi tether works with my s on and that's all I care about. And all those complaints on the first page. People cried for the update and now cry that they have it. that dang grass, it always looks so green...until you get there and are standing In dog crap lmao. I registered with xda and a couple of guys are REALLY close to posting the stock rooted ROM

IamTheCord

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
After figuring out just dumb of idea this real was, i attempted to unroot and update that way after that failed i rerooted and did the wire trick now ICS roms work perfectly and i am much happier with being rooted. Thanks to everyone for your advice thanks have been givin to those who helped

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Just flashed it and got bootloops. A little disappointed in the progress so far. Always heard devs were quick to release stock roms after otas and what's been put out so far is not stable. Its only been 48 hours though but I thought bootloops were a VM issue.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Just flashed it and got bootloops. A little disappointed in the progress so far. Always heard devs were quick to release stock roms after otas and what's been put out so far is not stable. Its only been 48 hours though but I thought bootloops were a VM issue.

You have to upgrade the hboot to 1.58 to get it to boot! Virus over on xda has the complete firmware update.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
For some reason I cannot install firmware. I have the p86IMG.zip file on tour of s card but when I go into hboot and bootloader out starts loading them I get a error msg that days wrong image or incorrect image. I'm 1.5 s on but rooted through htc Dev

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
This is what I'm getting. don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Thought I just had to go into bootloader and it would scan and load it

425773cf-20fe-a23d.jpg

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
For some reason I cannot install firmware. I have the p86IMG.zip file on tour of s card but when I go into hboot and bootloader out starts loading them I get a error msg that days wrong image or incorrect image. I'm 1.5 s on but rooted through htc Dev

Your s-on that's why your having issues. PM Benny3, he should be able to help you more than I can.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Your s-on that's why your having issues. PM Benny3, he should be able to help you more than I can.

being s on has caused me a lot of headaches. If you remember you've helped me and discussed this with me before and for that I Thank You, now I see I don't don't have a choice. juopuntbear wire trick, here I come. enough with this s on crap. I'll post back when its done. won't attempt until tomorrow

Last edited:

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Already grabbed about 3 paperclips, got 2 pieces of copper wire. Already downloaded stock GB ROM just need to flash it which I'm gonna do after my lunch break. I'm familiar with htc drivers when I installed them on my og evo and did revolutionary. lets hope controlbear runs okay. Anything else I need you cash think of?

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Well wasted my time yet again. can't even install htc drivers. Can't even find htc drivers and I probably did find them but how the hell do you install them is obviously beyond me. Controlbear didn't recognize phone (because drivers weren't installed). I give up. Can't get ics without updating firmware, can't update firmware while s on. So I just waited lord knows how long for this ota for nothing. this phone is nothing but a pain in my ass. seriously thinking of throwing it against wall.

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
im working on a debloated stock rom with tweaks thats built off the 2.89 firmware and it boots with any hboot and or firmware, i need a few testers. if your s-on you may need to use 4EXT recovery or flashimage gui to flash the kernel.

if interested hit me up with a pm