Benefits HTCdev method s-on unlocked vs Juno wire methods s-off

louden13

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
What are the benefits and differences between the 2. S-on unlocked and S-off. Not sure I understand the difference. I am hboot 1.58 on my new replacement phone. Before I was rooted on hboot 1.4 and I don't understand the difference or if there is one on the HTCdev method.

Thanks

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Benefits HTCdev method s-on unlocked vs Juno wire methods s-o

Without getting too technical (because I'm about to destroy a gyro lol) unlocked s on is temporary root. You have superuser and privilegesbut are limited. Some features on some roms may not work. You wouldn't be able to even flash some roms. You have unlocked bootloader which allows you to load custom boot images. But s stands for security so your device is not 100% unlocked as security is on. S off is totally unlocked. You bypass HTC security to load custom roms and do things on recovery. An example: I purchased my EVO 3d June 15th. Got unlocked bootloader and root on the 17th. I wanted ics so I waited for update thinking I could just flash a Rom. Update drops, roms are made, I tried to flash one, found out I needed to update my h boot and radio. YOU CANNOT UPDATE RADIOS WHILE S ON. so I found a Rom that said you can load it even while s on and on any h boot so I tried and damn near bricked my phone. Had to do some restoring to stock (not too hard but a pain in the ass none the less). I got s off and I'm running that Rom now. Literally typing this post from it. (That same Rom no longer says flash with any h boot Lmao) so in a nut shell the difference is s on is temp root. S off is full root. Being rooted is not having a unlocked bootloader. it's having s off. The benefits are many. Thing is you gotta do some research. This site, xda, htcevohacks.com, and YOUTUBE if you need to see it visually. Google is your friend. I broke my phone on a Friday but did not revert and get s off until Sunday because I spent a full day and a half doing my homework. You have to understand things for yourself. Trust me. Do not proceed with anything until you have fully researched and completely understand what your doing. If I'm wrong somebody correct me. I'm not a expert at all. I'm just telling youwhat I've learned on this device so far. And I pray you don't feel what I felt 2 weeks ago thinking I was responsible for breaking my own phone by being impatient. I was praying to just go back to stock. Didn't even care if I lost root, just wanted a working phone lol. Now I know it's not the end of the world. Bottom line, if you can get to the HTC screen, if the light comes on when you plug it up to charger, then the phone is not bricked and there is a way to fix it. But TRUST ME, you don't wanna even get to that point. So do some research

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Benefits HTCdev method s-on unlocked vs Juno wire methods s-o

not to step on anyones toes..lol but root has nothing to do with the bootloader
the rom is whats rooted so apps can have read/write access to system files
an unlocked bootloader allows us to write to partitions that normally we wouldnt be able to..boot/recovery partitions
now that being said, s-on does not allow writing to the boot partition but s-off will, thats why with s-on you either need to flash your boot img with fastboot or enter your recovery through fastboot or use a third party app to flash it for you
s-off allows access to all partitions...hence flash away lol

i hope this helps you and not confuse you even more..lol

oh yeah ..a rom will not brick your phone. flashing radio's and bootloaders can so be careful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty