Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mike44pl
  • 1 Post By Djblue
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Default exactly what does rooting do to your phone?

I came from palm(hp) webos. Im used to the homebrew community and how easy it is to do. Im also hearing alot about rooting an android device. Im currently waiting for the evo 3d( which would be my first android experience).I have heard about rooting devices, and would like to know exactly what rooting does to the phones. If these ?s have been answered, can u pls let me kno what thread to read. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanked by 2:

Rooting basically bypasses the security system on the phone allowing you to customize whatever you want and remove bloatware.

Sent from my EVOlution
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    Thanked by 3:

With the reported ability to remove bloatware simply by deleting it, would it be accurate to say that the biggest reason to root would be for custom themes?

Also a new (to-be, Friday) Android user.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    With the reported ability to remove bloatware simply by deleting it, would it be accurate to say that the biggest reason to root would be for custom themes?

Also a new (to-be, Friday) Android user.
    Yes, but what you call "themes", is called a ROM, and it's actually much more than a theme, it's the entire new UI.
    Thanked by 2:
    Djblue likes this.

^What Mike said.
    Putting a new rom on a phone is like getting a new phone. It changes everything and bumps up the life of any android phone. Right now my Hero has gingerbread....it didn't even get froyo and makes the phone run better than it ever would staying stock
    With custom roms we could still use this phone 3 years from now and it would still be great. Also rooting brings great root apps like wifi tether, titanium backup, and crossfire(which should allow any phone to play tegra 2 exclusive content) and more
    Thanked by 2:
    mike44pl likes this.

another big plus would be wifi tethering, tho I'm new too, I'd assume most of the roms would have it.

the question I have is... which rom groups are the most stable, heh

Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    another big plus would be wifi tethering, tho I'm new too, I'd assume most of the roms would have it.

the question I have is... which rom groups are the most stable, heh
    Well the most well known ROMs are Cyanogen Mods. But if you're new to android I would suggest you stick with Sense, because it's really simple and nice for new users... After like a year or so after getting used to android and wanting to try new stuff on your android you can try some other ROMs, that's my suggestion.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ooak View Post
    I came from palm(hp) webos. Im used to the homebrew community and how easy it is to do. Im also hearing alot about rooting an android device. Im currently waiting for the evo 3d( which would be my first android experience).I have heard about rooting devices, and would like to know exactly what rooting does to the phones. If these ?s have been answered, can u pls let me kno what thread to read. Any help would be appreciated.
    Check this page out, it has all your rooting questions and desires answered

http://www.androidcentral.com/root

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675
    Thanked by 4:

ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by ooak View Post
    Don't root yet ...your new enjoy the software first, for at least a couple months.

Sent from my Sexy Nexus 4G
    Thanked by:
    ooak 

Can you tether to your computer through a wire if you don't root?

Yes no problem. Just download an app like PDAnet
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by mike44pl View Post
    Well the most well known ROMs are Cyanogen Mods. But if you're new to android I would suggest you stick with Sense, because it's really simple and nice for new users... After like a year or so after getting used to android and wanting to try new stuff on your android you can try some other ROMs, that's my suggestion.
    heh, not too afraid of rooting here Though, I avoid it if I can, however... eventually I get that itch to mess with the phone. I should have time while someone breaks the bootloader. And I'm mostly wondering to prep for ICS =)

Global Posts
    6,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Waiting on an Incredible S from Bell myself, Friday they say....well girlfriends phone, I'm still slugging it out with a Pre and thanks OP for starting this one(thread), and to those that responded. Trying to get a little ahead of the game before we get it.

Global Posts
    4,494 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    heh, not too afraid of rooting here Though, I avoid it if I can, however... eventually I get that itch to mess with the phone. I should have time while someone breaks the bootloader. And I'm mostly wondering to prep for ICS =)
    I'm with you on this one! I had my EVO for about a month or two before I rooted and only waited that long cause I wanted to make sure I understood the process. Once I bit the bullet I became a ROM flashing beast

There are alot of ROMs out there to fit almost everyone's needs. I'm currently going between a hybrid Sense 3.0 ROM and an AOSP ROM (the one in my sig). I like the AOSP ROM cause as of right now the Sense ROM doesn't have any kernels, AOSP battery life is much much better for me
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

I know the option was there on the EVO but the functionality is blocked unless you are paying for the tethering service. Another good reason to root is you can load a wireless hotspot app and use it for free. I do recall an app that worked for cabled tethering without being rooted, it was called PDAnet, I believe.
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mike44pl View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with just about everything in this post. Cyanogen makes 1 of many well known ROMs for the EVO, and I'm sure that will continue to be the case for the EVO 3D. I rooted my phone after just a few months of getting it simply because I wanted the "option" of having something new. There isn't anything "easier" about Sense, IMO, it's just a different UI, so things are arranged and organized differently and the options are different. Rooting really doesn't have anything to do with wanting something new as you can root and stay with the stock ROM if you choose. Rooting just gives you the option to load ROMs when you are ready for something different. That being said, I do plan on using the stock Sense 3.0 UI for a while, because it's new and I like new things. However, this will get old, for me, after a while and I will want to try other ROMs.

If you're interested in knowing, here is a list of all the more popular ROMs for the EVO:

This list isn't indicative of what will be available for the E3D, but hopefully some of the bigger developer names (Cyanogen, Kushdeck, Virus, eVoKings, Misfit, Tyzing, flipzmode, aamikam, etc...) will all support ROMs for the new E3D platform.
    Last edited by cloak.n.dagger; 06-23-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

Default Re: exactly what does rooting do to your phone?

My first Android phone is coming tomorrow. Cant wait for the 3D. Will enjoy it and do the ROOT later when it comes out.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO)

Hi

Sent From My HTC EVO 3D

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Yes... Download Easy Tether from the Market. The free version allows you to do USB tether.

Hoe do u root. Can't. Find apparently to root

Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    My first Android phone is coming tomorrow. Cant wait for the 3D. Will enjoy it and do the ROOT later when it comes out.
    I like you started out with palm and had my pre patched to the max. My first Android was the evo 4G and I did not root it. When the 3d came out i was first in line and told myself "maybe I will root this time around but only if I feel the need to". So far I have not. Very easy to delete much of the bloat without rooting and I have loved the device as is to this point. With Ics right around the corner I still have no reason to root. Good luck with your new 3d, it is a great device.

Galaxy tab 10.1
    love my evo.