Goodbye Evolution.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
When pure google comes up with some better widgets I may switch... But it just looks so blah... Ill take a device loading a app a millisecond later for a more aesthetically pleasing experience.. I like how they added the screen off animation to the nexus but they need to go further... Widgets need redesigning, the notification bar... Also it would be nice to delete a single notification instead of having to clear them all.. Maybe a lockscreen with some info and a app quick launch like htc sense.. Pure stock in my eyes has alot to work on... Keep it fast but improve on information at a glance.

LuckyLucky

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I was JUST about to make a thread about something similar. I'm kind of torn...

*Wall of text, GO!

I love my 3D, it's my first high-end smartphone (first smartphone was the horrible Samsung Transform). The big screen is nice, colorful, and the resolution is amazing. However, I find the phone overall to be a bit too big...and the battery life leaves much to be desired.

The Nexus S is smaller and it fits in the hand well. The battery life, as I've read, lasts at least a full day(or close) with heavy usage. By heavy, I mean leaving a few accounts on auto-sync, lots of web browsing and texting, and the occasional video and game. There is no way my 3D would last that long with that much going on. Whats the point of having a phone so powerful if you have to limit it just so it won't die on you?

I was having a hard time deciding between the Nexus S 4G and the 3D (before I upgraded to the 3D), and I let all the spec whores get to me. I know that the Nexus' hardware is a year old, but I've played with it a bit in store and it doesnt seem too much slower than the 3D. The 3D loads apps a bit faster (and browsing is a much smoother experience), but it's not really enough to annoy me.

Battery life is very important to me and I can sacrifice a few extra seconds loading apps/web pages for my phone lasting more than a few hours. I also love sense, but that's nothing that a new launcher/widgets can't fix.

Nexus Pros: Battery life, slim/not bulky, pretty fast for old hardware
Cons: Possible radio issues( I've read some people dont experience any problems, but many seem to), no 720p recording (though I never record videos on my phone...doesnt really matter)

3D Pros: Dual-core speed, great screen resolution, decent camera, 3D is fun but I wont miss it
Cons: I thought I could deal with a 4.3-inch screen...but I find it too big, battery life isnt what I hoped

*/ Wall of Text
tl;dr version: If one isn't a too obsessed with specs, would the Nexus S 4G suffice for a two-year contract (thanks to those premier changes I no longer have yearly upgrades >:[ )?

Anybody mind sharing any advice?

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
@LuckyLucky here's my post from another thread, seems like exactly the question you were asking:

I used the Nexus S for two weeks, traded it in within my 30 days for Evo 3d and have had it since the day it came out, here's my opinions on the two phones:

Nexus S-- Much nicer build quality, much nicer screen (yes slightly lower resolution, but AMOLED just looks sooo much nicer compared to qHD). Very smooth for using basic integrated apps, but single-core 1Ghz CPU chugs pretty often if you try to get into "hardcore user" type stuff. Not too very difficult to root/flash, I ended up with both vanilla AOSP and CM7 on mine, overclocked to about 1.3Ghz (note, still chugged noticeably on games and other things).

Overall, much better out-of-the-box experience, if you just want a great phone to use as-is and do things similar to what LegendarySoul said he wanted to do, then DEFINITELY get this phone.

Evo 3D-- Lower build quality, I remember being disappointed with the out-of-the-box impression. The back cover is a cool rubberized texture, but the rocker/power keys are covered with it too, making them very annoying to press compared to the Nexus S (this was the hardest thing about the switch from Nexus S to Evo 3D) qHD looks nice, I switched everything over to Serif font just because it had the resolution to show it off and it looked really cool. Not anywhere near as vibrant as AMOLED though. 3d screen and camera are pretty cool, but if you buy this phone for that express purpose, you'll probably be disappointed at the options (not many movies/games, and can't use the GUI in 3d). However, if you just want this phone for the specs then the 3d is a very cool side-feature. Not rooted yet so can't say anything about flashing or customizing. Bloatware boarders on absurd. Now to the good part The hardware on this sucker is just outstanding. Dual-core 1.2 GHz means that even when 3d gaming or doing really hardcore stuff, I haven't even seen it so much as stutter.

If you're a hardcore user and really like to tinker with, and get the absolute max out of your phone, DEFINITELY go with the Evo 3d. Just messing with them side by side would make you think Nexus S is better, (HINT: This is why reviewers don't like the Evo 3d very much! They only test it for a day or so and don't actually use them both for 2 weeks like I did ) but once you get down to the nitty gritty the Evo 3d blows it out of the water.

Hope someone finds this useful, if not at least it was fun to write :)

From your post it sounds like you'd enjoy the Nexus S more :)

EDIT: LegendarySoul said earlier in the thread that he wanted a phone to do emailing, texting, small games like angrybirds, pictures, just general typical phone stuff and not any hacking/modding/hardcore gaming, etc

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
had the nexus s for a month. I had only one email account, did do a lot of text messages and web browsing, however I wouldn't call it heavy usage, by the time I would be back from school around 7 at night, I would have less then 20% battery left. I dont call myself a heavy user specially if I am at school, However I would use the phone when I am not in class or at my break.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Its whatever. People are going to be like that. Gotta expect it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

No, we shouldn't expect it. That's not what this community is about. Your post may be helpful to someone trying to decide between the EVO 3D and the Nexus S, both of which are awesome devices in their own respects. People who are "going to be like that" should be on a different site. We're all adults here and we should act like it. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. We have great mods here and I know they don't tolerate actions like that.

Now back to your post - I was torn between the Nexus S and the EVO 3D as well, and ended up going with the 3D. I'm glad I did. I hear a lot that the 3D is gimmicky - and it is - but there could be worse gimmicks (coughBingcoughKyoceraEchocough). The 3D isn't that bad and it has a "wow" factor when you show it to "average consumers" who aren't tech geeks like us. I haven't met one person who didn't think it was a cool feature and not one person said they thought it was gimmicky - they just thought it was cool.

The Nexus S has that really nice Super AMOLED screen, pure Google experience, and guaranteed quick updates and is a solid choice,but the EVO 3D has managed to make me a fan of Sense when I've always run LauncherPro before and I think it's a worthy successor to the OG EVO. Battery life could be better, but it's wicked fast and the only other major contender I could see on Sprint as a better device would be the Galaxy S II, and I just wasn't willing to wait for it when it hasn't even been announced yet and we don't know what specs it will have. I'm assuming Samsung is going to differentiate them all between carriers like they did with the original Galaxy S series. I liked my Epic but switched for the EVO because the Froyo release was taking forever and I don't regret the switch.

I think both the EVO 3D and the upcoming Galaxy S2 are going to make lots of fans for people looking for their first Smartphone device or an upgrade and this next generation of Android devices really showcase the platform, what it can do, and put it above the competition for average people who aren't going to tinker with it and flash custom ROMs and what have you. The OG Droid, Droid X, Nexus One, Nexus S, and EVO brought brand-name recognition to Android - this next generation of dual core devices is going to blow the competition away.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
No matter the specs or features on the phone, it may not be for someone.Thats why there are choices out there. Enjoy your Nexus S 4G.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
Is the lettering that much smaller than on the original EVO?

Text is about 17% smaller, as the 3D as greater pixel density. I actually prefer the smaller text as more can be fit on to the screen, but then again I have 20/15 lazor eyes! lol

The physical 3D screen is slightly narrower and slightly taller, as its aspect ratio is longer (taller?) than the 4G. (16:9 vs 5:3)

The 4G "feels" wider and bigger than the 3D to me, but now that I'm used to the greater resolution, the 4G seems like my parent's computer running 800x600 on a 20" monitor with giant icons and text, haha.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12