Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Arrow FM radio, camera button/app

Hi all,

First let me say I am very new to Android, coming from a Blackberry Bold 9700. So far, I am THRILLED with the new Evo 3D and its capabilities.

I've been reading around the forums and found some awesome tips and readme's, as well as the bug thread, but haven't quite found much on the two issues I'm having.

1.) The FM Radio is really only usable if you set the device down and let it play. Otherwise, it will start scanning through radio stations, and there is no way to stop it other than to hit the power button in the app. There is no "stop" button, or any settings to configure or any way to turn off scanning. So annoying! Anyone else have this issue?

2.) I thought the camera button acted as a shortcut to the app? I press it on any screen and it does nothing. Also, when in the camera app, sometimes I press the shutter button and a screen comes up that looks like an app launcher VERY similar to that that was on my Blackberry to see what apps were running. I hit the back button, and the camera app closes. VERY ANNOYING! Edit: I also find it annoying that there is no easy way to switch to camcorder mode from camera app, and that the shutter button is not programmable in any way that I've found.

Anyone else having these two issues? I love my new Evo..and the Android platform so far...battery life is terrible but that is another project. Also need to form a backup solution as that seems to be quite a project as well. I work in IT so I'm nerdy by nature, no problem for me! Thanks for reading...looking forward to being on the forums!

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

I don't have much experience with the radio app, but the camera app is something I can help you with. To get to the camera app from the button, you have to press and hold the shutter button. As for the recently used apps, that comes from pressing and holding the home key. Maybe you are accidentally bumping it when you try to take a picture. Finally, there is a button in the camera app, next to the on-screen shutter button, that changes from still to video. Hope this helps, and enjoy your new phone.

~Drew
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Two troubling issues I've had with the 3D..

Thanks for the reply! Never guessed it'd be user error I even tried holding it in but now I realize that you have to hold it in for quite a while (longer than i would prefer) to trigger it. As for the home button thing, well, turns out I need thumb reduction surgery.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

I accidentally press the soft keys all the time. Glad I could help.

~Drew

no dont have to hold it for too long. Its a two stage button, press it all the way down and hold it for a second, it will vibrate and you can let it go. As easy as that.

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Quote Originally Posted by doubleD822 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Never guessed it'd be user error I even tried holding it in but now I realize that you have to hold it in for quite a while (longer than i would prefer) to trigger it. As for the home button thing, well, turns out I need thumb reduction surgery.
    It's not just you, I've found the screen is REALLY sensitive and have also hit the home button by accident a few too many times.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yeah, I guess that is what it is, I wish/wonder if there was a way to change the sensitivity of those buttons...lol. Thanks for the input everyone, hopefully our devs are watching these forums for these bugs :-)

Default Re: FM radio, camera button/app

Quote Originally Posted by doubleD822 View Post
    Hi all,

First let me say I am very new to Android, coming from a Blackberry Bold 9700. So far, I am THRILLED with the new Evo 3D and its capabilities.

I've been reading around the forums and found some awesome tips and readme's, as well as the bug thread, but haven't quite found much on the two issues I'm having.

1.) The FM Radio is really only usable if you set the device down and let it play. Otherwise, it will start scanning through radio stations, and there is no way to stop it other than to hit the power button in the app. There is no "stop" button, or any settings to configure or any way to turn off scanning. So annoying! Anyone else have this issue?

2.) I thought the camera button acted as a shortcut to the app? I press it on any screen and it does nothing. Also, when in the camera app, sometimes I press the shutter button and a screen comes up that looks like an app launcher VERY similar to that that was on my Blackberry to see what apps were running. I hit the back button, and the camera app closes. VERY ANNOYING! Edit: I also find it annoying that there is no easy way to switch to camcorder mode from camera app, and that the shutter button is not programmable in any way that I've found.

Anyone else having these two issues? I love my new Evo..and the Android platform so far...battery life is terrible but that is another project. Also need to form a backup solution as that seems to be quite a project as well. I work in IT so I'm nerdy by nature, no problem for me! Thanks for reading...looking forward to being on the forums!
    I use the FM radio frequently. If I remember correctly, it will go through the scanning process the first time used. You have to let it finish. Once done though, it has never happened to me again and I can scan to any station I want.