1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Talk status/mobile indicator?

anyone having issues w/ google talk not showing the mobile indicator icon (which I assume is the android icon I see on all my friends)? It's not setting my away status either when the screen shuts off.

as a sidenote, does anyone know how google talk works? is it polling/staying connected or is it more a server side push? curious as to its effect on battery life (I'd test, but being a new android user, my first couple weeks is not a good indicative test of battery life =)
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Google Talk status/mobile indicator?

anyone want to give it a try and see if it does the same? =)

Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post

as a sidenote, does anyone know how google talk works? is it polling/staying connected or is it more a server side push? curious as to its effect on battery life (I'd test, but being a new android user, my first couple weeks is not a good indicative test of battery life =)
    Since Froyo, It uses push for notifications, so leaving it signed in should have negligible impact on battery life. (and that has been my experience with it as well)

I never leave on, but will give this a try and see how it affects battery

Do you have the mobile indicator and the away status message checked? Also If you have gmail up on a pc it will not show it. This included usig sites like meebo and such. Hope that helps.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    Do you have the mobile indicator and the away status message checked? Also If you have gmail up on a pc it will not show it. This included usig sites like meebo and such. Hope that helps.
    Yeah, signed out of all other locations. Checked from an alternate account as well as from someone else's. Same results, my status is online, but not mobile.

Yes to having mobile indicator and set away status on as well.

I had the same problem where I could not see the mobile indicator. I unchecked the allow video and voice chat option in the talk app in the latest android(ginger bread 2.3.4) and checked the mobile indicator on settings. My friends(who have android device) were able to see that i am on android device

For my friends who are on gmail chat - they have to enable the lab feature where they can see the green robot. Unless they do that, they will not be able to identify that i am on mobile - this is weird though.

I tested it and it works.