Does viewing the 3D content hurt your eyes?

SpeedJunkie69

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I went into sprint the other day to play with the E3D, and came away with mixed feelings. I loved pretty much everything except for the seemingly "best" feature of the phone, the 3D.

I looked at 3D content for about 2-3 minutes before my eyes started to feel really strange. I'd heard about people having different reactions to stereoscopic 3D, so I figured I was one of the people who had eyes that just weren't right for it. I stopped after the 2-3 minutes, but about 15 minutes later I started getting a splitting migraine. I assume it was from the 3D since I rarely get headaches that bad, but I'm curious as to how other people feel about the 3D.

Does it hurt your eyes? Do they feel fine no matter how long you look at it? Can you look for a little while but not too long?

tyrelian

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I went into sprint the other day to play with the E3D, and came away with mixed feelings. I loved pretty much everything except for the seemingly "best" feature of the phone, the 3D.

I looked at 3D content for about 2-3 minutes before my eyes started to feel really strange. I'd heard about people having different reactions to stereoscopic 3D, so I figured I was one of the people who had eyes that just weren't right for it. I stopped after the 2-3 minutes, but about 15 minutes later I started getting a splitting migraine. I assume it was from the 3D since I rarely get headaches that bad, but I'm curious as to how other people feel about the 3D.

Does it hurt your eyes? Do they feel fine no matter how long you look at it? Can you look for a little while but not too long?
yes i had the exact reaction but after that my eyes adjusted

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to look at it for more then a few minutes. It has not hurt my eyes but it does take my eyes about 15 seconds to adjust and focus.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally haven't had any problems viewing the 3D, nor has anyone I have shown it to. I have seen on the forums that some have. I guess it depends on the individual.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have sat and watch youtube 3d for hours with no side effects. I think it is awesome. Non of my friends have mentioned headaches after watching mine for some time.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had much of an issue with it. Sometimes it bothers my eyes a little when they adjust. Liken it to the old magic eye books. I do try not to look too long though or take mini breaks. But it's about the same as watching a 3d movie in the theater.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Ngmasterj

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Before the 3vo came out, I checked out the Nintendo 3DS and my eyes got a good raping. Had the biggest headache and my eyeballs felt like they were going to pop out. Wasn't sure after that if I was gonna get the 3vo anymore, but after that horrid experience, neither the 3vo nor the 3DS hurt my eyes anymore. I think the general consensus here is:

1. Have good eyesight.
2. Find the "sweet spot" where the effect isn't forced
3. Your eyes need time to adjust if it doesn't immediately.

Last edited:

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Another tip is don't try to focus on things that aren't in focus. If you're trying too hard to focus on things in the background or aren't the true focus, you're going to get headaches because you can't change what's being focused on.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
3d always gives me a headache. I don't even see 3d movies in theaters anymore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had much of an issue with it. Sometimes it bothers my eyes a little when they adjust. Liken it to the old magic eye books. I do try not to look too long though or take mini breaks. But it's about the same as watching a 3d movie in the theater.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Your post gave me an idea. I looked up magic eye in the market and found a lot of magic eye apps. Its awesome!

Faint

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
The videos are actually REALLY good, the pictures leave a lot to be desired though. Doesn't hurt my eyes no matter how long I look. But the viewing angles just aren't good if you're showing your friends.

dkmrules

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
It hurt for the first time when I didn't know how to look at the content correctly, and it has been the same for everyone I showed it to. The Mario 3d on YouTube made me nauseous though.

dohcstunr

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Once my eyes have gotten used to what they need to get adusted... I can look at a pic and my eyes get it right away. No strain. The hardest one i have is of a orange double lily that I took at night from up close and with the flash.
It takes a lot of effort for me but it is by far the most astonishing 3d pic on my phone. It literally floats above the screen, almost like a hologram.
Movies that I've shot don't really strain my eyes, but i've found it difficult to sustain the effect.
Spiderman 3d and the green hornet I'm fairly certain i could play or watch for hours without a problem.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I only have issues if I take pictures or video in semi-low lighting. But for good quality videos or pictures I've taken in bright places, I don't have any issues.

maximumac52

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No problems watching 3D here. Always try to find the right angle and u wont get ur eyes hurt. Also, it depends on the quality of the 3D video u r whatching. youtube has lots of 3D video but if u notice, some have better 3D effects than others n usualy those wont give u headaches

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt