Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By illwood
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Turn 3G off?

How do you turn 3G off? I remember with T-Mobile there was an option to force 2G (GSM) only but on the Evo 3D I don't see a way to turn Sprint's Evdo off. Any suggestions?
    nkd

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

Default Re: Turn 3G off?

Do u mind explaining, why you wanna turn off 3g? Battery lasts me all day on 3g. I don't think there is 2g on cdma. It's just 1x..I really don't think you want that.

You can turn the Mobile data off in the ”Quick Settings” and you won't use any mobile data. If you aren't on 4G or WiFi, you will only get phone calls and text messages.
    LegendarySoul likes this.

Pull down your notification screen, tap quick settings, uncheck mobile network. You'll still get your texts and calls, just nothing that relies on 3g, like email and stuff.

Beaten to the punch!

-----
    Android: It will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me.
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    Do u mind explaining, why you wanna turn off 3g? Battery lasts me all day on 3g. I don't think there is 2g on cdma. It's just 1x..I really don't think you want that.
    If you're on WiFi, there really is no reason to have the mobile network on as well. I tend to turn mine off when I'm at home. Just have to remember to turn it back on when you leave, although it's not something you can easily overlook when you try to use the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    If you're on WiFi, there really is no reason to have the mobile network on as well. I tend to turn mine off when I'm at home. Just have to remember to turn it back on when you leave, although it's not something you can easily overlook when you try to use the network.
    it turns off automatically when connected to Wifi. No need to do it manually.

Coming from a GSM phone myself, doesn't seem like there's a 2G/EDGE option on Sprint.

1xRTT would be the equivalent of 2G for Sprint. It is really 2.5G though and there is no reason I could see to force your phone to use it over 3G
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

My reasoning behind turning off the 3G was to boost my signal. With GSM, if you had a poor 3G signal and changed it to 2G you would gain more bars and have a much better signal. At least that was the case with T-Mobile and AT&T. Won't have to worry about this tomorrow when I get my Sprint AIRAVE.

If we had root there is a way to force roaming in which case you could pick up what may or not be a stronger signal but as of now that is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AZwldcats View Post
    it turns off automatically when connected to Wifi. No need to do it manually.
    What AZwldcats said, no reason to turn off 3g data when you are on wifi because the 3g radio isnt being used so won't use any juice. You are just making more work for yourself with no real battery savings.