1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default EVO 3D: Rebooting?

I see this was apparently a problem on the EVO 4G but I'm new to the Android world (loving it!!) and my wonderful EVO 3D has been doing random reboots the past couple days...not sure if I need to return it or just wait for an update. Almost every time it has rebooted I have had a 3.5mm headphone jack plugged in and just started playing whatever song was next to queue up using the default music player. Plays for about 5 seconds and then the phone reboots...sometimes it only does it once but Sunday it repeated this 3 times...any info would be appreciated. Love Android and my Evo 3D so i'm hoping there is something to fix this issue.

Default Re: EVO 3D: Rebooting?

I've have a similar problem occur off and on. One thing that seems to help is pulling the battery for at least 1 minute before starting it back up. I almost threw my phone against the wall after the third day of it happening to me at the worst possible time.

I'm thinking it is just a software bug that will be patched soon (we hope!)

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm new to this phone and Android, but assuming you don't have any crappy live wallpapers or shady apps, this should not happen. My GF's phone is doing this, we both got ours at the same time so I consider myself lucky. We are going to try and get it swapped, it's unacceptable for a brand new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by logan2981 View Post
    I see this was apparently a problem on the EVO 4G but I'm new to the Android world (loving it!!) and my wonderful EVO 3D has been doing random reboots the past couple days...not sure if I need to return it or just wait for an update. Almost every time it has rebooted I have had a 3.5mm headphone jack plugged in and just started playing whatever song was next to queue up using the default music player. Plays for about 5 seconds and then the phone reboots...sometimes it only does it once but Sunday it repeated this 3 times...any info would be appreciated. Love Android and my Evo 3D so i'm hoping there is something to fix this issue.
    I tested this today on mine. Mine didn't do this, it was fine. I was able to listen to music with the headphones plugged in and browse the web. Could it be a certain app running in the background?

I had mine reboot once but not from playing music. I had just opened my email for my work exchange and then jumped over to Dolphin HD and the hole thing locked up for some reason and just rebooted its self. Haven't had thag problem since though.

I would think that its a software issue and if you try and return it they will more than likely perform a hard reset and send you on your way. Which may solve fhe issue but only time will tell.

My phones been fine....except for the past two days I've had random reboots, black screen with capacitive buttons still on. fixed that by hard resetting. But now, sms error for every text that started today, and after I closed an app my notifications still worked but my home screens disappeared, and I fixed that by restarting, but still have the sms error issue. Does anyone know if this is software related or should I exchange the phone?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeDW View Post
    I've have a similar problem occur off and on. One thing that seems to help is pulling the battery for at least 1 minute before starting it back up. I almost threw my phone against the wall after the third day of it happening to me at the worst possible time.

I'm thinking it is just a software bug that will be patched soon (we hope!)
    And that is my issue, I ride a motorcycle and love having my music playing...but when I'm on the road its a little difficult to even get the music app firing from my pocket or backpack. Here's hoping they have a software fix in the works. Hasn't been doing it for 2 days now.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

As for the Live Wallpapers or Shady apps...I run a live walpaper but it was preloaded on the phone. As for apps i'm pretty sure I've only downloaded the free app from Amazon each day...so i'm guessing that isn't the issue. If the Live Wallpaper is the issue then they need to get that fixed, I don't buy the processor in the phone can't handle a live wallpaper and its own music app running...who knows.

Global Posts
    475 Global Posts

Mine has rebooted randomly then it is fine for days.... Today I got the black screen and had to pull the battery. Even putting it back in it wouldn't turn on u til I plugged it in. Battery was almost full so that wasn't the issue. I even tried a spare I got. I did a factory reset and it has not crashed but it did just reboot on it's own as I was reading this thread. Sounds like a memory bug for the rebooting but whatever it is I hope it gets patched soon.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

GF's phone was swapped out by Sprint. I'll let you know if she has any more reboots. My phone however has been rock solid.
    EVO 3D
    Former Pre user

Global Posts
    475 Global Posts

Mine keeps going to sleep mode normally then I can't get it out. Ing mine swapped out by sprint.

For the first week I had this phone, it was crashing, locking up, and restarting at random on a daily basis. I took it to the sprint sort and they just did a software reset. I also found an installer and re-installed the entire OS. None of that worked.

This past weekend, I did a few battery tweeks and removed a couple of widgets: specifically, I removed the news and calender widget. Since I did that, I have only crashed 1 time (been about 4 days now).

I'm running a flat black background using a brightness control app set to 25%. Juice defender balanced setting. I'm getting excellent battery life and like I said, basically stopped crashing.

Only had my phone 2 days, day 1 rock solid, today I have had about half a dozen reboots in the past few hours. Haven't even had time to load much, haven't tried to do the temp root, just been messing with it a lot and marveling at how fast it is.

Has HTC acknowledged this problem? I love my 3D but once every day or so my phone goes black and the bottom buttons are all lit up. Only solution is a battery pull. It is quite annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    Has HTC acknowledged this problem? I love my 3D but once every day or so my phone goes black and the bottom buttons are all lit up. Only solution is a battery pull. It is quite annoying.
    My impression of this is that the screen is not coming on, but the phone thinks it is.. I get the exact same issue.
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - rooted but still stock for now.
    Nook Color running CM7

Yesterday mid afternoon my phone went into a boot loop all on it's own, I watched it reboot at least 10 times without stop. I pulled the battery and did a factory reset of the phone, ignored all the updates and it has been fine so far.

I have an external speaker with a 1' connection cable I plug into the headphones jack when listening to music. Works great. Then I bought a 16' extension cable to connect to the 1' cable. The phone went crazy, making random phone calls, screen bouncing around to different stuff, etc. However it didn't reboot. But the headphones jack was involved. Thinking of trying again since update to 2.3.4 but afraid I might cause serious damage. I have no idea why this happened nor does any rep. One suggested ext cable too long for phone to handle. Who knows

Very sorry! Got my threads mixed
    Last edited by 3dkit; 08-22-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Arrow Re: EVO 3D: Rebooting?

I purchased the phone in August and had this problem big time. Was pulling the battery six times a day to restart. I tried to return it to Radio Shack, but they said come back in a week because they were out of stock. When I took it back the next time, they said the moisture tell-tale on the battery meant it was user damaged and would not take it back. Virgin and HTC also would not take it back. Finally got a refund through American Express without returning it. Since then, it has been working more or less well. Not rebooting often at all. Perhaps Virgin pushed a semi-fix down to the phone? Now the only major problem is the super-sensitive screen and case. If you look at it cross-eyed, it will launch an app you don't want, or disconnect a call, or some such nonsense. Not ready for prime time, this phone.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

My phone would boot to the HTC logo, shut off and power up again just to repeat in an endless loop. I dropped it off at Sprint this morning and they declared it fubar, so I'm waiting for a replacement now.
    Android Ninja in Training
    EVO 3D
    TF201 64GB

Quote Originally Posted by enthuz View Post
    My phone would boot to the HTC logo, shut off and power up again just to repeat in an endless loop. I dropped it off at Sprint this morning and they declared it fubar, so I'm waiting for a replacement now.
    Replacement phones are great. New phone for nothing. I just got a replacement last week lol.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Phone/Evo 3D cdma
    Rom/ViperS r284
    Hboot/eng 1.58
    Root Method/Htc Dev unlocked/Juopunutbear s-off
    Recovery/4-EXT

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

Yes, I'm loving this new phone. It is so much better than my last one. I just hate having to reset/reload it again, but it is a good excuse to clean house.
    Android Ninja in Training
    EVO 3D
    TF201 64GB

I love this new phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky105 View Post
    I love this new phone!
    Glad it worked out.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Phone/Evo 3D cdma
    Rom/ViperS r284