Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Jerzyiroc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Obviously one of the biggest aspects of the Evo 3D is the 3D capabilities. Some love it, some hate it, some just don't care, and some enjoy it but just don't use it often. Whichever side you're on, I think we can all agree that sometimes the 3D content can strain your eyes a bit. Some people it's more than just a strain, it can flat out cause a serious headache. From my personal experience, most 3D content on Youtube looks great and doesn't bother me at all. Watching actual 3D movies looks incredible. Most of the 3D videos I've taken look great too and don't bother me at all. However, the pictures can be a different story. I notice the pictures don't align too well. When they don't align right, that's when the eyes start to strain. The more unaligned they are, the more your eyes will strain. Want to test it out? Take a picture in 3D, and move the Evo left to right, you'll see the alignment of the two pictures. You'll notice the closer together the pictures are aligned, the easier it is on your eyes...

    WELL.. there's an option with the 3D pictures that a LOT of people don't know about ----

    Adjust 3D alignment

    I can tell you how much better it is on your eyes after adjusting (huge difference), but nothing is better than seeing for yourself first hand. So here's a quick guide. It's extremely easy,


    1) Open up your camera (in 3D of course :P) and take a picture..

    2) Go to the gallery on the bottom left of the camera app
    Here's the demo picture I'm going to use: Notice how insanely unaligned the two picture are. This is the type of picture that REALLY strains the eyes bad. I can't look at it for more than 2 seconds...



    3) Tap the screen and select the icon that looks like a wand with sparkels:
    (btw, I think the image tearing is because of the 3D effect)



    4) You'll get this popup and select Adjust 3D alignment



    5) Now you'll get this screen:



    The left and right tabs is what allows you to adjust the two images taken. If you tilt the screen over you'll be able to see both the images. Now here's the trick. I'll try and explain this without being confusing.. Because of how the images are taken, its impossible to get everything on both images to align perfect. So the key is to figure out whats your focus point of the picture. In my demo picture, its the box. So you adjust the image until the two images are aligned as best you can on the focus point, the box. You'll notice outside of the focus point, like the monitor base and the black rag to the right, aren't aligned that well compared to the box. But that's fine, because again the focus point of the image is the box. So as long as you align the focus point the image will not only look much better, but it will be a million times better on your eyes

    Here's how my demo picture looked before the adjustment, then after..


    Last edited by Jerzyiroc; 07-13-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
    Thanked by 23:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Awesome.. thanks!
  3. #3  
    fraz's Avatar

    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Great write up. Thank you.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Great find!
  5. #5  
    tkemack's Avatar

    Posts
    559 Posts
    ROM
    Blazer ROM/Stock Kernel

    Default

    You're famous now OP. Featured on the front page

    sent to you in three dimensions
  6. #6  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Good find. My 3d seems to do well as is but it's good to know incase some pictures dont focus as well as they could.



    If someone jostles the cameras on the back can they becom misaligned leading to you having to constantly edit your 3d images? Maybe thats why some people have such poor experiences with their 3d?
  7. #7  
    zhecht's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyphos View Post
    Good find. My 3d seems to do well as is but it's good to know incase some pictures dont focus as well as they could.



    If someone jostles the cameras on the back can they becom misaligned leading to you having to constantly edit your 3d images? Maybe thats why some people have such poor experiences with their 3d?
    The misalignment is due to the fact that, unlike your eyes, the dual cameras on the E3D don't swivel to focus on the subject of your image. They are factory preset to converge on objects at some preset distance, but any pictures taken of closer of further objects will need to be adjusted.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Great info. So it sounds like you have to do this to every picture individually. Or is there some general 3D alignment setting that can be applied to all pictures?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    Great info. So it sounds like you have to do this to every picture individually. Or is there some general 3D alignment setting that can be applied to all pictures?
    You have to do it individually
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  
    TenshiNo's Avatar

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted) Jelly Bean

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Awesome. Thanks for the tip. This will really help. I love playing with the 3D camera on this phone
  11. #11  
    craigdts's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Remember too when taking a picture you can tell the phone what to focus on by tapping it
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    enthuz's Avatar

    Posts
    614 Posts
    Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Quote Originally Posted by newdroid View Post
    Remember too when taking a picture you can tell the phone what to focus on by tapping it
    Yes, that is an awesome feature for scenic pictures.
    Android Ninja in Training
    EVO 3D
    TF201 64GB
  13. #13  
    Czech_Pleaz's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ROM

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    This is a great tip! Thanks for posting.
    Sprint Employee & Product Ambassador, CISSP, Mobile Technology, Security and Social Media Nerd.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    I love the tip but the only issue I have now is the left and right side of the pic is misaligned. I guess I could crop.
  15. #15  

    Thumbs up Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    great find,help alot! keep um comin!
  16. #16  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    One thing that I've noticed while playing with the alignment ... The optimal alignment changes depending on how close to your face you hold the phone. Since you're getting 1 image in each eye, the distance between the image and your eyes affects how they overlay on each other.

    So it may be necessary to change the alignment on a picture again if the distance between you and your phone changes.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    i was on the edge debating weather or not i made a huge mistake purchasing the 3D ... don't get me wrong best phone I ever bought, but some of the 3D images made me want to bang my head on the wall to get rid of the aftereffect, thanx for saving my @ss and my head
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    I'm really glad this was able to help so many people out. One thing I noticed too about the 3D images is they tend to be much darker than the 2D images. Mess around with the settings and you'll take even better 3D images.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

    iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

    Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Twitter

    PS3- SpiderMonkee
  19. #19  

    Default Re: How to adjust your 3D pictures (and help your eyes)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerzyiroc View Post
    Obviously one of the biggest aspects of the Evo 3D is the 3D capabilities. Some love it, some hate it, some just don't care, and some enjoy it but just don't use it often. Whichever side you're on, I think we can all agree that sometimes the 3D content can strain your eyes a bit. Some people it's more than just a strain, it can flat out cause a serious headache. From my personal experience, most 3D content on Youtube looks great and doesn't bother me at all. Watching actual 3D movies looks incredible. Most of the 3D videos I've taken look great too and don't bother me at all. However, the pictures can be a different story. I notice the pictures don't align too well. When they don't align right, that's when the eyes start to strain. The more unaligned they are, the more your eyes will strain. Want to test it out? Take a picture in 3D, and move the Evo left to right, you'll see the alignment of the two pictures. You'll notice the closer together the pictures are aligned, the easier it is on your eyes...

    WELL.. there's an option with the 3D pictures that a LOT of people don't know about ----

    Adjust 3D alignment

    I can tell you how much better it is on your eyes after adjusting (huge difference), but nothing is better than seeing for yourself first hand. So here's a quick guide. It's extremely easy,


    1) Open up your camera (in 3D of course :P) and take a picture..

    2) Go to the gallery on the bottom left of the camera app
    Here's the demo picture I'm going to use: Notice how insanely unaligned the two picture are. This is the type of picture that REALLY strains the eyes bad. I can't look at it for more than 2 seconds...



    3) Tap the screen and select the icon that looks like a wand with sparkels:
    (btw, I think the image tearing is because of the 3D effect)



    4) You'll get this popup and select Adjust 3D alignment



    5) Now you'll get this screen:



    The left and right tabs is what allows you to adjust the two images taken. If you tilt the screen over you'll be able to see both the images. Now here's the trick. I'll try and explain this without being confusing.. Because of how the images are taken, its impossible to get everything on both images to align perfect. So the key is to figure out whats your focus point of the picture. In my demo picture, its the box. So you adjust the image until the two images are aligned as best you can on the focus point, the box. You'll notice outside of the focus point, like the monitor base and the black rag to the right, aren't aligned that well compared to the box. But that's fine, because again the focus point of the image is the box. So as long as you align the focus point the image will not only look much better, but it will be a million times better on your eyes

    Here's how my demo picture looked before the adjustment, then after..


    I stumbled across this shortly after getting the phone, then haven't been able to find it since. Thanks a million!!!
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    I stumbled across this shortly after getting the phone, then haven't been able to find it since. Thanks a million!!!
    But what can be done about poorly aligned videos?

Posting Permissions

B