Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Default Smashed Evo 4g, should I get the EVO 3D or another 4g?

I just smashed my EVO 4g a half hour ago. Sprint was great and is allowing me an early upgrade price. Should I get another EVO 4g or the EVO 3D? I have no need or desire for 3D video. With that being said I assume there isn't a major difference except newer Sense and faster processor etc.
    Pros and cons or your thoughts?

I didn't have insurance on the 4g and I'm reluctant to get another Evo 4g since it is already 1 year old+ so I'm thinking about the EVO 3D instead.

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Default Re: Smashed Evo 4g, should I get the EVO 3D or another 4g?

If you have the money the 3D is the way to go.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

EVO 3D hands down! Even if you don't care about the extra dimension, it's still a party piece. As for the phone, the bump in hardware is greatly worth it. I came from the 4G, and the 3D is much better.

~Drew

JJ 3D is a great device major upgrade coming from original EVO you will enjoy it.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II

Thread cleaned - this is not the place for fighting and Evo vs Nexus debate.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom

The hardware is upgraded, but what is not being marketed enough is the upgrades to Sense. Go play with the new Sense 3.0 features in a store and see how fast this device is and it'll be an easy decision. Plus the physical camera button gives you more control, and the slightly different dimensions make it a much easier pocket fit (even if we're talking mm differences in the width).

So far I've noticed the same voice & data coverage, although some units have been incorrectly programmed for CDMA data so you may need to check into your specific unit once you get it. Also know that your charging cord for the 3D is a 1V cord while the standard microUSB cords you may have from Evo, etc push at .75, so you will notice a difference in amount of time needed to charge on older cords.

Bottom line, this device is worth every penny, and the 3D does not get in the way at all...if you don't want to use those features, you won't.
    Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO > Evo 3D > Samsung GSIII on VZW

Easy choice...had / have both. Go EVO 3D!

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfire8 View Post
    Also know that your charging cord for the 3D is a 1V cord while the standard microUSB cords you may have from Evo, etc push at .75, so you will notice a difference in amount of time needed to charge on older cords.
    Are you sure? My charger for my EVO 4G and my 3D are identical

~Drew

ROM
    Stock 3D, CM 7.1

I also have both. 3D all the way. The hardware difference is significant.

Another person for the evo3d...Had the evo4g since May25, 2010...upgraded on June 21, 2011...The evo3d is an excellent device...get the evo3 to the d
    iEd

Global Posts
    2,388 Global Posts

I've never had the E4G but go with the E3D. The 3D pics and vids are fun but it's a great device besides that.

I had a EVO 4G, EPIC and now a 3D and i am very happy with my 3D.
    Battery life is better then the previous 2 devices. Screen is better compared to the EVO 4G. I sitll like my EPIC S-AMOLED screen but the 3D comes close.
    Loving the speedieness and responsiveness of it.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I say go 3D! I got mine and I love it so far!
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Thank you everyone. I did go with the 3D and after 24 hours my impressions are very possitive.
    Speed is great on the device and very smooth scrolling etc. Initially I didn't care about the 3D aspect at all. I don't go out of my way for 3D movies and really couldn't care less. However, after taking some photos and actually seeing in person I must say it is striking. Maybe a little gimmicky but oh so cool. Showing it to co-workers is great fun. Even the iPhone 4 owners are quite amazed and give some props.
    I'm a fan of Sense so really enjoy Sense 3.0 especially direct to apps from unlock screen.
    Device is definitely slimmer and I'm still worried about battery life. I had the big extended battery for the Evo 4g and although I was used to the size, losing the slim form factor really sucks. Hopefully this larger battery on the #d will help.
    So far so good and I'm very happy with the device. It's definitely an upgrade over the 4g.

BTW- Sprint was awesome to deal with since I had no insurance on my shattered 4g. they moved my early upgrade date up and I got the 3D for $199 with no begging involved. Thumbs up Sprint!
    JJ

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

If you have the upgrade go for the EVO 3D, its a great device. It'll be a good upgrade for you!

Edit: Sorry didn't see you already got the Evo, congrats on the new device!

Quote Originally Posted by bdGDL08 View Post
    EVO 3D hands down! Even if you don't care about the extra dimension, it's still a party piece. As for the phone, the bump in hardware is greatly worth it. I came from the 4G, and the 3D is much better.

~Drew
    +1. I was in the same boat, EVO 4G got fried and after much debate finally went and let myself get upgraded to the 3D. The 3D effect is kind of headache-inducing, but as others have said, the phone itself is a great upgrade in memory, hardware, screen, and processor. With root so close to being achieved, I was willing to upgrade, even tho if my 4G had not been wrecked, I would not have even considered it until next spring.
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - rooted but still stock for now.
    Nook Color running CM7

The difference is $100 over a 730 day contract or 13 cents a day.

If you pay $80 a month, the EVO 4G is about $2100 over the 24 months. The EVO 3D is $2200.

Either way you are spending two grand to have this phone the next two years, get the one you want.

Life's short. You use your phone all the time. Get the one you want.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓