Why does the iPhone get such better battery life?

kennedy27403

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android specifically and smartphones in general, but why does the iPhone seem to get such better battery life? Compared with a coworker (iPhone user) today, and after maybe 8 hours or so I was at maybe 30% and he was at 70%. Roughly the same usage, he may have used his more. I'm still tweaking settings, so no doubt that's a factor, but I've seen people say that the iP isn't doing as much or that the Android uses more power because it's a more complicated and better machine. What does this mean? What is the Android doing so significantly better than the iP that accounts for such a drastic difference in battery life?

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well there are several reasons for this. The iPhone does not do "true" Multitasking like Android does. Multitasking in the background does creat a slow leak. Then there are the other reasons such as the iPhone having an under-clocked CPU, no 4G whatsoever, and better display technology that does not use as much power. Also, the apps behave themselves much better. There aren't any widgets running in the background and no apps updating themselves in the background.Also Apple has a super huge battery built in the iPhone 4. My girlfriends, LG Lotus phone has better battery life than my Evo 3D. The fact of the matter is that battery technology is not developing at the same pace as mobile technology. So, the more powerful your mobile device, the less battery life you get if the size of the battery is not increased to compensate for the power.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
For one, the iPhone can't do half the things Android can do. Widgets multi-tasking and stuff like that take a toll on the battery. Be sure that if iOS was capable of the same, it would have the same battery life. The other thing is the actual battery itself. The iPhone uses a Lithium Polymer battery which is better than a Lithium Ion. I'm still not sure why Android manufactures still haven't jumped ship to the li-po batteries.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Well multitasking is the biggest factor I would say. The iPhone doesn't do true multitasking like android does. Also we have Widgets and apps that run in the background. Also your phone syncs wirelessly with Google while iPhone has to be plugged into your PC or Mac. Also poorly written apps can cause battery drain. I don't know but my battery life is great. I've gotten up to 42 hours before it died with light use. Today for example I've had my phone unplugged for 11 hours and it is at 62% and I'm running at least 12 Widgets constantly pulling data all the time.

fstop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The question should be why can't the iPhone swap batteries like Android phones can? And why does anyone buy a portable electronic device where you can't switch batteries?

All batteries will drain out eventually. My iPhone friends are constantly hooking up power and hovering over them afraid to miss a call. Me, I just swap the battery out on my superior Android phone and keep going around my business never having to hover, never having to keep an eye on the battery icon.

Funny, I could do this amazing thing called battery swap back in the sixties. What happened since then? Have we gotten stupid? Or just accepted things because a turtle necked demi-god says so?

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The question should be why can't the iPhone swap batteries like Android phones can? And why does anyone buy a portable electronic device where you can't switch batteries?

All batteries will drain out eventually. My iPhone friends are constantly hooking up power and hovering over them afraid to miss a call. Me, I just swap the battery out on my superior Android phone and keep going around my business never having to hover, never having to keep an eye on the battery icon.

Funny, I could do this amazing thing called battery swap back in the sixties. What happened since then? Have we gotten stupid? Or just accepted things because a turtle necked demi-god says so?

Because having a built-in irreplaceable battery makes it possible to design the phone with a thinner profile, and for iphone users, Thin is in, my friend...LOL!

fstop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Because having a built-in irreplaceable battery makes it possible to design the phone with a thinner profile, and for iphone users, Thin is in, my friend...LOL!

But they are not mutually exclusive. Evidence the Xperia Arc. By the way, it also has a larger screen.

In my humble opinion, if superficial things like thinness and good looks are important, then the Xperia Arc trumps the iPhone like a Gordon Ramsey on a short order chef. It just screams sexy. And of course, the Arc has real guts inside called Android.

devgrp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I dont about the iphone having better battery life. My co-worker has an iphone thats always plugged in at work but then again she is always on twitter. I've been getting greeeeat battery life so far. My phone has been unplugged for 7hrs now with 62% left. Had that been my OG Evo it would be plugged in right now.

I use my phone alot when I'm bored but when I'm busy then it just sit and idle so it works out really well for me. Stock battery with no root tweaking to the kernel and my battery is lasting much longer than my og evo with undervolted kernels.

Right now, the only reason I want root is for wireless tethering

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
But they are not mutually exclusive. Evidence the Xperia Arc. By the way, it also has a larger screen.

In my humble opinion, if superficial things like thinness and good looks are important, then the Xperia Arc trumps the iPhone like a Gordon Ramsey on a short order chef. It just screams sexy. And of course, the Arc has real guts inside called Android.

+1 on that. The Xperia Arc is a gorgeous phone.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
One of the biggest drains on battery is a weak signal. Maybe that other phone was getting a better signal than your Evo 3D. :)

Maddog088

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually just dumped the iPhone 4 for the Evo 3D (best phone decision I've made yet!). And honestly now that I'm not constantly playing on it as much, my battery life is about comparable. I couldn't be happier actually considering its a bigger screen, with a dual core in it. I was expecting far worse in the battery life department.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm at 13% battery life after 13 hours. I had 4G on for bout an hour today, played games, texted a bunch, made a few calls, GMail pushed, all animations, checked Facebook and Twitter a ton. Gotta break in that battery, I never let it touch a charger until its less than 5%, try to get it down as much as possible without letting it die completely cause you can lose some unsaved Data or something else, so I charge it before it dies as a just in case.

rayln

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
android doesn't do true multitasking.
It's similar to the save state switching, tombstoning et cetera of iOS, wp7 and the like.

Certain processes are allowed to run in the background as allowed by APIs but it's not like the apps are running concurrently, as webOS does.

When you open a task manager, most of those apps aren't actually running in the background. Perhaps the odd music or data service here and there but most of them are using otherwise unutilized ram to save their states and for faster switching but aren't actually running.

As far as I know, webOS is the only mobile os to allow true multitasking - programs running in parallel concurrently.

HYDE

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not really sure your blanket statement is exactly very accurate seeing how you seem to be basing it on one example.

On numerous occassions, one of my good friends who has the iPhone4 and has complained about the battery not lasting till dinner. I can easily get close to 48 hours with light useage.

Keep tweaking your settings, manage what you sync, use WiFi when possible, cut off mobile data if you happen to be in a building with little to no coverage, etc.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Because Steve Jobs told you how to hold it properly. That increased battery life. That and a large battery that you cannot replace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463