Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jajuan
  • 1 Post By Starfleet Captain
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New to the Android world

Hi there. I just got my HTC EVO 3D yesterday and am slowly learning new things about it every minute. I've never had a smart phone before and have only played around with the iPhone. I really like it so far and have actually convinced my mom to buy one as well (her's should be coming in today some time later) so I need to know everything and anything now so that I can teach her new stuff.

Now considering I've never had a smart phone, I've never had to deal with using my phone a lot. So I guess I need to know more about batteries and how I should treat them. I've read the battery post so far and I've learned from a friend that I should let it die and power it to 100% 3 times and it should be set. Is this right?

What good apps are out there that I should have.

Any tips?

I keep hitting the search button a lot on my phone, does this happen to anyone else?

Oh, and what case should I get? I have the body glove with the stand in it, but I think I'm going to take it back because its too slippery.

Thanks! I look forward to reading you answers!

~Lauren

Go sms for texting, pandora for music, words with friends for gaming, tango for video chat, tapatalk and facebook for social networking. Youtube to learn more about the best android apps and widgets
    iEd likes this.
    iEd

Global Posts
    3,302 Global Posts

Default Re: New to the Android world

I just started using Go SMS. I like it better than Handcent.

Tune Sync is a must have for wireless syncing of Itunes. It's a joy not having to plug in when I changed a Itunes playlist or added one.

Audio Manager is good also you can set up custom ring profiles save them as widgets I have profiles like loud,medium,vibrate and alarm where just the alarm will sound and no other notifications.

Smart Keyboard is a good one also lots of skins available to give the keyboard many different looks.

Travel#'s Airline,Rental Car, Cruise Line and Hotel phone numbers

Point Inside is good also indoor mapping of malls airports based on your location.

Well, the thing about Android is that it can be really simple to use, yet if you're a pro user, you can do some complex things with it. I suggest you take a while to really get to know your device.Tinker with the settings, learn to get used to the notification bar and slide down window. Learn to get used to the phone dialer. Start playing with and experimenting with different widgets and sizes. Then set up your 7 home screens to your liking. Once you've become comfortable using your phone and know how everything works, start grabbing some apps.

I say this because you may find some apps to be superior than whats currently on the device. Some may be redundant and some may even be inferior. For example, I had apps on my old Evo 4G that I've decided not to install on my Evo 3D because of the new functionality found in the UI on the 3D. There are several threads here by the way, with good app recommendations. Click the following link and give that thread a look.

Must-Have Apps?

Hope this helps. And Welcome to the world of Android.

BTW, My vote goes to Handcent, for text messaging, hands down.
    cgardnervt likes this.

Being new myself to Android and the EVO 3D, I haven't found out this answer yet (nor have I asked..)

What's the closest thing I can use that compares to Notepad on a BB? If I just want to write a few things down or a small list of items, then save them?

One other thing:

The AC community can be a helpful bunch. Read some of the Android: 101 articles that are posted on the site. Keep an eye on the forums and do a search for questions you may have. You could also ask your question (but please do a search first) if you can't find the answer. If you are really new to the smart phone world, there will be plenty of questions, I'm sure. Also, youtube has some wonderful how-to videos, for Android, the Evo and Evo 3D. That is how I learned how to use Android...

Quote Originally Posted by slab0meat View Post
    Being new myself to Android and the EVO 3D, I haven't found out this answer yet (nor have I asked..)

What's the closest thing I can use that compares to Notepad on a BB? If I just want to write a few things down or a small list of items, then save them?
    Well, I like the Evernote app. Its a wonderful little app that lets you jot down notes, do a quick voice recording, and add a picture to your notes. The app is free and you get a free online account. The app syncs your notes to your online (password protected) account, so they can be accessed from a computer with an internet connection. The only drawback is that the free version of this app does not let you access your notes when your phone does not have a data connection. If you get the paid app, you get local storage as well.

Also, you should check the apps in HTC HUb (on your phone). They have a free simple note app available too.
    Thanked by:

I'm new to android too. Only had my 3D for 3 days now. I've been reading Android Central | Android Forums, News, and Help and phandroid.com for a month to get smarter and decide exactly what phone I wanted to get. I'd definitely recommend reading those blogs. Also, do you have any friends with android devices? If so, they are great resources. These boards are extremely helpful also.

I never used Blackberry, but Catch Notes is a fantastic note app. I prefer it to all other note apps I've tried.

ROM
    Blazer 1.4 Rom

Im gonna be honest. Just use the phone for like a week, and when you see things you would like improved about the phone, just do a check for an app for whatever. Get acclimated to the phone first, so you can get familiar with the android world, then you will see what apps to put on your phone. So for the first step, just get games.. Angry birds still free and such.

ROM
    Stock

A must read for all....

Evo 3D FAQ's & Tips
    Please thank me if I have helped!

Current Phone - Sprint GS3

Previous Phone - Evo 3D - Evo 4G