Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LCD QC Issues?

I'm on my 4th Evo 3D and wanted to know how many of you that have actually taken the time to really scrutinize your Evo 3D's LCD have found dead or stuck pixels? My first 3vo had 1 stuck pixel. 2nd one had a small scratch in the middle of the screen right out of the box. 3rd one initially had none but within 3 days developed 4 stuck pixels. My 4th/current one has 1 stuck pixel. Normally I would go back and exchange it but this is just getting to be ridiculous. An hour's drive to/from the store then another 3 hours to setup the device and get all my settings/apps loaded onto the phone (and that's with the use of a backup app and an Exchange server). Windows Mobile obviously had more than its fair share of faults but at least with 3rd party backup apps like SPB Backup, I could restore basically everything and be back up and running in 5 or 10 minutes without needing to root/jailbreak my device. Not trying to turn this into a WM vs Android debate though, just want to know how many of you that have actually really looked for them have found dead/stuck pixels.

Default Re: LCD QC Issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    I'm on my 4th Evo 3D and wanted to know how many of you that have actually taken the time to really scrutinize your Evo 3D's LCD have found dead or stuck pixels? My first 3vo had 1 stuck pixel. 2nd one had a small scratch in the middle of the screen right out of the box. 3rd one initially had none but within 3 days developed 4 stuck pixels. My 4th/current one has 1 stuck pixel. Normally I would go back and exchange it but this is just getting to be ridiculous. An hour's drive to/from the store then another 3 hours to setup the device and get all my settings/apps loaded onto the phone (and that's with the use of a backup app and an Exchange server). Windows Mobile obviously had more than its fair share of faults but at least with 3rd party backup apps like SPB Backup, I could restore basically everything and be back up and running in 5 or 10 minutes without needing to root/jailbreak my device. Not trying to turn this into a WM vs Android debate though, just want to know how many of you that have actually really looked for them have found dead/stuck pixels.
    Well, transferring an account from one Android phone to another Android phone should take seconds - this includes music (in beta mode right now) and pictures (Picasa) - depending on size, this may take a few minutes, but you should be able to walk out of the store while your new phone syncs with your account. The problem in transferring seems to stem from the Windows phone. In regards to the dead pixels, this may be an HTC problem rather than an Android problem, though it seems somewhat odd that more people have not complained if this was a major issue with the Evo 3d.

Man, that's really some terrible luck for you. Haha.

Thank God I haven't had any stuck/dead pixels. I did end up exchanging my 3VO once due to a misaligned screen, but come to think of it I can really deal with it. It's nothing major that is going to ruin my expierience with the phone.

I have absolutely no idea how it took you 3 hours to setup your phone. Everything is backed up with Android, even things that I didn't know about when I was about to setup my new 3VO. I backed up my TXTs myself and loaded them after I got my new phone. Besides that, everything was backed up with Android.

It took me maybe 15 minutes max to setup my settings, have no clue how it took you 3 hours. Not to bash or anything, but that is a lot of time. 3 hours! So you sat down at like 7:00, and finally had everything configured at 10:00?
    Motorola v265 < LG enV < Motorola Q9c < Palm Centro < Palm Pre < HTC EVO 3D
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    Well, transferring an account from one Android phone to another Android phone should take seconds - this includes music (in beta mode right now) and pictures (Picasa) - depending on size, this may take a few minutes, but you should be able to walk out of the store while your new phone syncs with your account. The problem in transferring seems to stem from the Windows phone. In regards to the dead pixels, this may be an HTC problem rather than an Android problem, though it seems somewhat odd that more people have not complained if this was a major issue with the Evo 3d.
    I think you may have misunderstood what I am saying. The problem is not my old Windows Mobile (not Windows Phone) device that I haven't owned for over a year (I had the Evo 4G before my 3VO). Yes, transferring from one Android phone to another should take seconds, Sprint just does the ESN swap and I put in my Google and Exchange info and that part is done. Yes, the issue I am hinting at is that there seems to be a HTC LCD QC issue (at least from what I have experienced), not an Android problem in general. The list of things I have to do when setting up the new phone includes the following:

1. Entering in my Exchange account info then setting what I want to sync and how frequently. Going into the email app and customizing that (turn off signature, set font size, set folders I want synced, email size, etc). Repeat for my IMAP account. Repeat for my gmail account. Set which contacts I want displayed. Set which calendars I want accessed.
    2. Setup my other accounts. Facebook, Google+, HTC, etc and then customize them all so that they aren't constantly syncing.
    3. Download and install all of my apps from the Market. I would prefer just to use the backup I created with MyBackupPro but then the Market link for all of the free apps isn't restored. Then comes the tedious task of setting up and customizing many of the 40 or so apps I just downloaded. Uninstall Sprint bloatware. Move the appropriate apps to the storage card.
    4. Restore my bookmarks, SMS, and MMS from my storage card.
    5. Change the wallpaper. remove the widgets and apps currently on the home screens, then customize with the ones I want. Customize the lock screen.
    6. Set my alerts and notifications for miss calls, SMS, MMS, voicemail, email, etc and assign custom ringtones for about 9 of my favorite contacts.
    7. Install my screen protector.

If an easy, permanent rooting method was available for this phone (like Unrevoked), then much of this would not be an issue as I could simply root, use Titanium Backup or restore with a nandroid backup and be completely up and running in a few minutes. Again, while Windows Mobile (not Windows Phone) had its faults, apps like SPB Backup allowed me to restore 99% of my phone so that I could be up and running in a matter of a few minutes after swapping devices. I really like my 3VO but all these stuck pixels and the lack of a backup app that doesn't require root to restore everything is driving me crazy. If there is an easier way to accomplish the tasks I have outlined above than what I am currently doing, please let me know.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by LilTmac2003 View Post
    Man, that's really some terrible luck for you. Haha.

Thank God I haven't had any stuck/dead pixels. I did end up exchanging my 3VO once due to a misaligned screen, but come to think of it I can really deal with it. It's nothing major that is going to ruin my expierience with the phone.

I have absolutely no idea how it took you 3 hours to setup your phone. Everything is backed up with Android, even things that I didn't know about when I was about to setup my new 3VO. I backed up my TXTs myself and loaded them after I got my new phone. Besides that, everything was backed up with Android.

It took me maybe 15 minutes max to setup my settings, have no clue how it took you 3 hours. Not to bash or anything, but that is a lot of time. 3 hours! So you sat down at like 7:00, and finally had everything configured at 10:00?
    Yes, it takes me 3 hours. Perhaps I am going about things the wrong way. Please see the list I posted above regarding what I need to do every time I swap phones. If you have an easier method, please let me know, would love to be able to reduce that 3 hours.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Well I have officially thrown in the towel on getting a 3VO with a pixel perfect screen with no underlying dust particles. Listed below are the 3VOs I've been through and their issues:

3VO #1: 1 stuck pixel
    3VO #2: small scratch on screen right out of the box
    3VO #3: 4 stuck pixels
    3VO #4: 1 stuck pixel
    3VO #5: multiple dust particles under the screen
    3VO #6: 1 dust particle under the screen
    3VO #7: multiple dust particles under the screen
    3VO #8: 3 dead pixels

After all that, both the Sprint rep and I got tired of opening up new 3VOs and spending 10-15 minutes thoroughly examining each one in hopes of finding a pixel perfect screen with no dust particles under the screen. In the end, we just gave up and I took #6 since the pixels were all fine and you could only see the dust particle if the screen was off. The first 3VO was purchased from Sprint telesales while the other 7 came from two separate corporate Sprint stores. I love my new Evo 3D but I have to say that I am thoroughly disappointed in what appears to be a lack of QC in the HTC manufacturing and/or assembly process. I have purchased almost every recent HTC smartphone Sprint has offered (PPC-6700, PPC-6800, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2, Evo 4G), I scrutinized every one of their screens just like I did the Evo 3D's screen, and none of them had the pixel or dust issues of the 3D.
    nkd

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

seriously 8 evo 3ds. You must be the unluckiest man on earth.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    seriously 8 evo 3ds. You must be the unluckiest man on earth.
    I have actually had quite good luck with smartphones in the past. Been using them since 2001 (owned at least 12 different models) and just never had any issues like what I am experiencing now. Perhaps my luck has finally run out though.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    No issues with mine! Phone is awesome! But I take good care of my electronics. My pre lasted a year and a half, and is still being used by my nephew. My og EVO is still like new after 8 months, my wife will use it next! Loving my 3d.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Well I take very good care of my electronics also but that really has nothing to do with whether or not a device has dead/stuck pixels or dust under the screen right out of the box. The longevity of a phone as a function of how well you take care of it is a completely separate and unrelated topic in regards to the pixel and dust issues I am referencing in this thread.