REALLY FRUSTRATED with EVO 3D (Resurrecting my own thread)

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
New post is on page 5. Details still relevant are in this initial post.

I like the EVO 3D, or at least I really want to like the EVO 3D. It was an upgrade that I didn't intend on making, since my EVO 4G got fried. So I decided to take the plunge and get a new phone after a year, instead of riding it out on my very stable rooted Cyanogen running EVO 4G.

Enter Sense 3.0 - new, and different but not horrible. I'm waiting on root and new ROMs to come out. I know they will eventually. The 3D camera effect itself - nauseating to view at length, and not a mature technology. So I don't use it much. Dual-core, more memory, active development community - how can I go wrong, right?

WRONG.

I have had the EVO 3D lock up on me so many times I think the best thing I've gotten good at with this phone is pulling off the back cover to pull the battery. I can't count how often I've had this thing refuse to turn the screen on after basically sitting and doing NOTHING. Not overheating, not in a call, running the camera, or even trying the half-baked and beta-testing root methods out there. I've left it alone for the time being. And yet it'll still lock - sometimes with the buttons illuminated, and sometimes not.

Has anyone gone through this same pain? I'm really sick of it and Sprint was no help with their "update your Profile and PRL" (which I had done already!) advice.

On on Android 2.3.3.
Software 1.13.651.7
Kernal 2.6.35.10-gcb1cf83
Baseband 0.97.10.0530
PRI 1.15_003
PRL 21080

Last edited:

bakarus

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Honestly you should bring it to sprint store they will give you a new one. Sounds like a faulty phone.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: REALLY FRUSTRATED with the EVO 3D

Yea, man...

Unfortunately if your phone is constantly shutting off and freezing, it's time to take her in for a replacement. They dont ALL do that, I promise.

All the ones I've worked with have been good.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Wow. Totally opposite experience then I have had. I have yet to have to pull the battery. Sense is pretty nice for me. I had the OG EVO and rooted and ROMed it to death. I cant wait to do the same on the 3D.

I would return it and get a new one. Are you within the 30 days? Should be if my math is correct. Have you tried the store? Did they offer a replacement?

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site

And I just called the Sprint store, opening up with that I had recently got this phone and I've had it lock up many times and it's getting frustrating and the guy at the other end of the line kind of pauses and says.. "OK...." and nothing else.

He's basically trying to say that it's a software issue... Which I suppose it could possibly be, but I'm not running anything too crazy on this phone - certainly nothing taking up background cycles. Not even syncing facebook. Only google, another POP email account, and things like IMDB, LinkedIn, G+, QR code scanners, and the XKCD reader.

hgravez

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Definitely take it in and do your best to make them see the problems you are having. I've had mine since launch day and it rebooted by itself once. That is literally the extent of problems I have had.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Definitely take it in and do your best to make them see the problems you are having. I've had mine since launch day and it rebooted by itself once. That is literally the extent of problems I have had.

I am. Thanks for the helpful feedback, everyone!

I wish I could reproduce the problem for them. If it were some piece of software I could nail down, that would be easy.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Return it. You are within 30 days. There is something very wrong with your phone. Then say, I would like to buy a phone...

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

I have had the EVO 3D lock up on me so many times I think the best thing I've gotten good at with this phone is pulling off the back cover to pull the battery. I can't count how often I've had this thing refuse to turn the screen on after basically sitting and doing NOTHING. Not overheating, not in a call, running the camera, or even trying the half-baked and beta-testing root methods out there. I've left it alone for the time being. And yet it'll still lock - sometimes with the buttons illuminated, and sometimes not.

Probably not what you need to hear, but I have never, ever had the 3D lock up, reboot, or freeze. And I am an owner since release-day.

You are going to need to "wipe" the phone and carefully install only one thing at a time to make sure you don't have a horrible problem app. If it still misbehaves after being wiped, it is a defective unit.

Ferms_93_2.8T

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

Op, I had the exact same issue you are having with my first 3d. I assumed it was just software, but there were no reasons for it to happen. It would freeze or lock 1 to 3 times a day. So after 5 days I went to the sprint store and asked for a new one.

Long story short, I have all of the same apps and settings on the new 3D and have not had an issue since. So take it back for a swap. There is clearly some sort of issue with yours.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I traded my 3D for a new OG Evo (wife confiscated mine when I upgraded) as it's still a good phone. I went through 2 3D's. While both blazed software wise and never once locked up, I couldn't stand looking at the screen being tilted the way they were. I mean, it made the phone look cheap. But the biggest prob I had with both was the loss of signal. I would go from 4 bars to roaming back to 3 bars in a blink of an eye, and if I was on a call it would drop them like a rock. This would happen 10 times a day. So I figured since I have an upgrade coming from another device, I will get this phone once it hits revision 3 or 4.

hydrogenman#AC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site

I had to return my first evo (did it on day 3) because of it locking up like this

just don't take their **** and let them pass it off as an app problem

it was doing it when I had ZERO apps installed

just press em hard, they'll replace

movalguy

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I like the EVO 3D, or at least I really want to like the EVO 3D. It was an upgrade that I didn't intend on making, since my EVO 4G got fried. So I decided to take the plunge and get a new phone after a year, instead of riding it out on my very stable rooted Cyanogen running EVO 4G.

Enter Sense 3.0 - new, and different but not horrible. I'm waiting on root and new ROMs to come out. I know they will eventually. The 3D camera effect itself - nauseating to view at length, and not a mature technology. So I don't use it much. Dual-core, more memory, active development community - how can I go wrong, right?

WRONG.

Has anyone gone through this same pain? I'm really sick of it and Sprint was no help with their "update your Profile and PRL" (which I had done already!) advice.

On on Android 2.3.3.
Software 1.13.651.7
Kernal 2.6.35.10-gcb1cf83
Baseband 0.97.10.0530
PRI 1.15_003
PRL 21080
I have had the same problems, plus reboot when turning off wifi or gps

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

To the OP, I had the same things happen with mine. From freezing/locking, poor speaker volume, weak signal & crappy pics........I returned it!

I tried my best to like it, but at the end of the day, it wasn't a significant upgrade (IMO) from my EVO for me to keep it.

cssplat

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

I have had the phone since launch day and it's performed like a champ for me. Every now and then I'll see a slight drop in framerate when navigating through the phone, but that's about it. I've never frozen or had a lockup or anything like that. Hope you get a replacement, man.

R2D2 631

May 16, 2010
Visit site

This aluminum frame that is on the front and sides of this phone is a really bad move by HTC... ive been xtra careful especially for my thirty day period... and rite ontop of front speaker there is a little white spec, it isnt a dent or scratch but a white small mark.. I see more problems to come with this aluminum front... And im not the one who likes wearing rubbers for protection i like my phone naked and just wear a phone holder on belt.. this is just another problem for the evo3d.... this along with the signal.,heat issues maybe because of radio, stupid sensative cheap power button.. all making me go back to my e4g... The E4G never had any of those issues i just mentoned.

Last edited:

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to pull the battery. I have not had the back cover off since the day I unpacked from the box. This device has performed perfect for me thus far.

EVO-LUTION 3D

Ks2332

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

Honestly working st a corporate repair cen
ter here columbus their gonna hard reset it and send you on your way first before we replace it bc that is a software issue I hate to say it and im not just some dumb newb I've owned android since day 1 im just not active in the community