Stock Keyboard disappears when typing...

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Its been doing it off and on. Has anyone seen this before? I know I have big hands but is there something I could be doing wrong? I am not touching the back arrow or home buttons or anything. It just seems to be doing it on its own...Its very very strange. Any advice?

Its the stock keyboard and stock messenger app. But it does it on the web too.

Sometimes it does it in the middle of me typing or just letting it sit there from time to time.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok I figured out how to change the keyboards. My issue is still there. Keyboard likes to just up and disappear all on its own. No one else has seen this? Its very very annoying.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
When it would happen to me in the beginning, I noticed I was either touching the back button or hovering over it too long as the capacitive buttons are hyper sensitive. Over time you get used to it and it no longer happens. It is now second nature using the phone.

Reactions: cgardnervt

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! That could be it but I think I have seen it do it when my hand is no where near the button. I will have to watch my self more and see if this is the issue. Thanks for the heads up!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
When it would happen to me in the beginning, I noticed I was either touching the back button or hovering over it too long as the capacitive buttons are hyper sensitive. Over time you get used to it and it no longer happens. It is now second nature using the phone.

This is for sure not the issue. Still doing it this morning. I did reset the phone. (Power off and back on) I cant be the only one with this issue? I have no idea what it would be. I even tried other keyboards as well. (SwiftKey X)

This drives me nuts. ><

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you think it could be a software issue? It's not as bad and it seems to have gotten better over time. It also seems to be in the sms app only. (Stock app) I also guess it could be how I type. Gonna give it a few more days. May also try a new sms app too while I'm at it! So far I still love this phone! HTC makes great stuff! :)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It happens on mine intermittently, I've just become used to it

As in you think its how you type? See I am still used to my old real Pre- keyboard. I could type with that lighting fast! Hehe so it still could just be me! I am not 100% sure yet though. Either way its pretty much only a minor issue. Think I am gonna try a new SMS client to see if it fixes it. Sometime next week. Only had the phone for a short while. So it still could be me!

Thanks for all the replies guys! I really enjoy the community here!

:)

bdGDL08

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this too. Only in the stock SMS app, and only every once in a while. I know it's not because of hovering over the back button, because it is happening to me in lanscape, where my fingers and palms are no where near the back button.

I've also noticed that, when in the sms app, if you get a text while typing a message, it will dismiss the keyboard. That is also frustrating

~Drew

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this too. Only in the stock SMS app, and only every once in a while. I know it's not because of hovering over the back button, because it is happening to me in lanscape, where my fingers and palms are no where near the back button.

I've also noticed that, when in the sms app, if you get a text while typing a message, it will dismiss the keyboard. That is also frustrating

~Drew

Wow, that would be frustrating! I use SwiftKey with Handcent messaging and haven't had that problem at all. I wonder if there is a setting you could change? Lol there are so many of them! I am still learning ways to customize this thing. If I run across anything I'll let you know.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm so it seems to be a bu with the software! Good to know. I my self for the most part like the stock SMS app.I bet we will see HTC patch it at some point.

Is GO SMS Pro any good? Handcent looked cool too. Any major diff other than UI? Both look cool! Might just try both.

In the end I still love my E3D! I will switch up the messaging app until they patch it.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I can't evaluate Go SMS because I haven't used it but I can say that I've been using Handcent for about a year now, on 3 different devices, and I have been so satisfied with it that I haven't even considered any other ones.

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it is a bug in the software...i'll be texting fine all day and out of nowhere it will start bugging like how you describe. May last a few mins.

I may reboot or delete the chat log if the problem persists longer and usually it will be solved for awhile...

eovnu87435ds

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
if you hold the menu softkey for a second it will show/hide the keyboard, even when you are in an area with no text input fields... hands off of that button too.
I thought i had the same issue, and I also have veteran pre thumbs :D maybe its how we instinctively hold the phone. Since using Graffiti Pro and switching how i hold the phone in order to use it, the problem has disappeared.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
if you hold the menu softkey for a second it will show/hide the keyboard, even when you are in an area with no text input fields... hands off of that button too.
I thought i had the same issue, and I also have veteran pre thumbs :D maybe its how we instinctively hold the phone. Since using Graffiti Pro and switching how i hold the phone in order to use it, the problem has disappeared.

LOL Oh wow you are right! if you do hold it down it does do that. Maybe it is me. It will take some getting used too! Either way its ok. I still love this phone! VBK is better and way more easy to type with than my old Pre-. Thanks a lot for the info Evonu!

mitch2k12

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I get a similar problem where the keyboard stays onscreen but the texts jump to the beginning of the conversation, and back down and then back and forth. Quite annoying. They best come out with a software update soon...

T_hab

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone for 8 months, and it just started happening this week. Every two letters I type, the keyboard disappears. Nothing can bring it back except exiting the app and coming back in. It happens in messenger, Whatsapp, gmail, and Internet. I have yet to see an app that it doesn't happen in. This is extremely frustrating as I can no longer use my phone for anything that involves typing more than two characters.

prakcash

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Fixed! Try this.

Goto your phone settings -> Apps
Change from “Downloaded” tab to “All” tab.
Click on “Android keyboard (ASOP) and click on “Clear Data”.
Click on “Dictionary Provider” and click on “Clear Data”... you are welcome !