Can't get a phone signal, what are my options? Begging for Help!

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
New Evo 3D user. Upgraded from the Evo 4G.
In my office, I used to get 1 bar with the 4G, but with the 3D, I get NOTHING. Sometimes it says "no signal" but most of the time it just shows no bars.

I went into the settings and messed around and think I may have made things work. Should roaming be on "sprint only" or "automatic"?

I know there's an app that would force the phone onto Verizon but that app didn't work for me, it sent calls straight to voicemail. Anyone know what setttings I need to change to make it work?

More, are there any phone settings I can tweak to get at least one bar like I did before.

I'm scared to death of rooting, but if there's something that will fix this issue by rooting, I'm all ears.

I had a Nexus S for a day and hated it. The signal, however, was amazing. I really don't want that Motorola photon because I like HTC sense.

One thing to note, the phone keeps prompting me to download an update, but I'm leery to do so, seeing what it did to my Evo 4G. Would downloading this update help?

I'm desperate for any and all suggestions. (outside of geting an airrave, office won't let me install one)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't get a phone signal, what are my options? Begging for He

You could buy the app for "Roam Only" in the app market place. ($3.99 I think)

You don't need root access for this app either! This way your on Verizon towers. So if Verizon towers are in your area try that.

You could also get a Airave. This acts as a cell power for you. I have one at my house. If you call Sprint and tell thing your signal issue they may just give you one for free. Other wise it will set you back about $100 and $4.99 a month.

Other than that your options are limited. Also make sure your tower info is updated too.

Maybe others have some ideas.

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

You can get an airave for free from Sprint if you tell them you have an EVO 3D. They know the reception on them sucks so they are giving away their repeaters for people who bought this phone. There are several threads about this in PPC Geeks and XDA developer.

You can contact HTC - HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - E-mail Support I know a few people who have and for whatever reason not enough people are reporting the issue of the poor signal on this phone. Sprint is aware of it but for some reason HTC is not. I'd highly recommend you email them HTC Mobile Phones - Customer Service - E-mail Support so that hopefully they'll come out with a firmware update for this phone or recall it and we can get an upgrade on it as it is clearly not working properly.

Also vote on your experience here - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-3d/107627-what-your-most-significant-problem-evo-3d-7.html hopefully HTC will take notice as I've sent them the link.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

I went into the settings and messed around and think I may have made things work. Should roaming be on "sprint only" or "automatic"?

I found this on the interwebs.from Sprint.

3. Turn off network roaming. By default, roaming is turned on for the HTC EVO 4G out of the box, which means that the phone scans for the strongest CDMA/EV-DO signal. If you've got great Sprint coverage where you are and don't need to roam onto one of Sprint's partner carriers, turn off roaming so the phone doesn't need to constantly search for the best signal.

LINK

Reactions: milominderbinde

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

My 3G reception seems to be just as good as my EVO 4G and EPIC. At my office i have always gotten 0 to 2 bars on various devices.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I had Best Buy replace the phone. The reception is marginally better but still I'm complaining to HTC. I don't expect a lot, but I do expect that my phone will work as a phone. Thanks everyone.

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

New Evo 3D user. Upgraded from the Evo 4G.
In my office, I used to get 1 bar with the 4G, but with the 3D, I get NOTHING. Sometimes it says "no signal" but most of the time it just shows no bars.

I know there's an app that would force the phone onto Verizon but that app didn't work for me, it sent calls straight to voicemail. Anyone know what setttings I need to change to make it work?

More, are there any phone settings I can tweak to get at least one bar like I did before.

I'm scared to death of rooting, but if there's something that will fix this issue by rooting, I'm all ears.

I had a Nexus S for a day and hated it. The signal, however, was amazing. I really don't want that Motorola photon because I like HTC sense.

One thing to note, the phone keeps prompting me to download an update, but I'm leery to do so, seeing what it did to my Evo 4G. Would downloading this update help?

I'm desperate for any and all suggestions. (outside of geting an airrave, office won't let me install one)

This is probably not the solution you are looking for but Sprint offers the option to integrate your phone number with Google Voice. This will let you (among other things) take calls from your Sprint phone on your office phone if you prefer (regardless if you have a cell phone signal or not) and access your voicemail and send/recive text messages from your web browser. Alternatively, if you have a decent wifi signal in your building and opt to use the Google Voice option I described above, you can use an app called GrooveIP ($3.99) that will let you receive your Sprint phone calls on your Sprint phone as long as you are connected to wifi, no cell phone signal required. Again, both options require that you integrate your Sprint phone number with Google Voice (you can unintegrate at any time). Here is the official link:

http://www.google.com/voice/sprint

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site

You can get an airave for free from Sprint if you tell them you have an EVO 3D. They know the reception on them sucks so they are giving away their repeaters for people who bought this phone.
Sprint has been doing this for quite a while, and not just for the Evo 3D. And not everybody is having signal issues with the Evo 3D. It could just be he got a bad apple. I'm getting the same signal I had previously with my Hero and Pre.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Go to-settings-wireless networks-mobile networks- your roaming should be set to auto.

Sometimes at school I get no sprint signal inside of buildings, and the phone roams without any problems. Sometimes however I get no signal and my friends with verizon have none either so, my phone roams fine whenever it needs to.

when you have the triangle symbol right next to signal bars, it means you are roaming, the nexus might have been at automatic roaming. if you have everything data plan, even the 450 min one, you should be able to roam as much as you want without any charges.