Queation about buying app from the market....

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys!

So I'm looking into buying some apps for the first time. So I have a question.

1) how do I know what gmail account is connected to the apps that I buy? In case I ever change devices and so on. I have 3 email accounts that are on my device. (2 personal and 1 for work.)

2) am I able to change the email account in the settings of my phone any where? I know I can with the Amazon app store. They have a sign in feature so i sorta like that.

3) transferring apps from my phone to future tablet (Toshiba Thrive)..is that allowed? I plan to get tapatalk and would like the app on both. So Id like to share the app for my own use.

4) in your opinion is it better to deal with one app store or is both ok? Looking at management of apps. I have found I like the interface to amazon and the idea behind it. Plus I also check on the free app of the day. I just don't like the fact I can't delete apps in my list that i don't wanna use or uninstall if I find them useless. Mainly free apps if the day. I have never bought an app from them yet.

So long story short I don't know much about the real android app store if you can't tell. Having some issues finding out these answers.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for any spelling errors! I type like a speed demons on my E3D! Using the mobile forums! I will check spelling later when i get to my desk in my office!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Queation about the market....

Good questions.

1 - when you first set up the device, the first gmail address you used to sign into the phone is the email address the market uses by default.
2 - I dont think you can with out resetting the market place app. In fact i think the only way you can change it is to go to settings, applicatoins, market, and reset it. Then you have to sign in again. PAID apps are assigned to the email address you bought them with.
3 - Aloowed? grey area.
Some people say once you pay for an app its yours. But from a developers stand point i am sure they would want you to pay for a completely different set up. Going from a handset to a tablet. IF it were me i would have my devices set up with 1 email address associated with all handsets, and 1 email address associated with all tablets. Keep in mind some apps are designed for tablets and not hand sets. Visa versa. So it might be a good idea to keep them seperated.
4 - I had issues with Amazon so i decided to keep it simple and use only the market. But thats just me. What i use to keep all my apps in line is appbrain. This will allow you to keep track of apps across multiple deivces. It helped me a great deal when going from an EVO 4G to EPIC, and from EPIC to EVO 3D.

If you ever switch devices, paid apps are always associated with the email address used to buy them from the market. Paid apps will follow you from device to device. Free apps usually dont. I am sure in the future this might be changed.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Good questions.

1 - when you first set up the device, the first gmail address you used to sign into the phone is the email address the market uses by default.
2 - I dont think you can with out resetting the market place app. In fact i think the only way you can change it is to go to settings, applicatoins, market, and reset it. Then you have to sign in again. PAID apps are assigned to the email address you bought them with.
3 - Aloowed? grey area.
Some people say once you pay for an app its yours. But from a developers stand point i am sure they would want you to pay for a completely different set up. Going from a handset to a tablet. IF it were me i would have my devices set up with 1 email address associated with all handsets, and 1 email address associated with all tablets. Keep in mind some apps are designed for tablets and not hand sets. Visa versa. So it might be a good idea to keep them seperated.
4 - I had issues with Amazon so i decided to keep it simple and use only the market. But thats just me. What i use to keep all my apps in line is appbrain. This will allow you to keep track of apps across multiple deivces. It helped me a great deal when going from an EVO 4G to EPIC, and from EPIC to EVO 3D.

If you ever switch devices, paid apps are always associated with the email address used to buy them from the market. Paid apps will follow you from device to device. Free apps usually dont. I am sure in the future this might be changed.

Thank you very much for the reply! I will keep all of this information in the back of my head! Did you find signing in with the Amazon account to be a pain? If its a new device do any of the app stores just re-download all of your apps if they are paid or do you have to do it by hand? I guess I was spoiled by the Palm profile back when I had the Pre- and other Palm devices.

I am sure Android works just like it some how! :)

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I had issues with it but i dont remember what it was. After trying several times i took it as a sign and gave up.
If you sign into a new device, paid apps usually follow you. Non paid apps dont. But my most recent swap from an EVO 3D to a replacement 3D ALL of my apps did follow me. Not sure why but hopefully its a feature they are adding. Otherwise to track all of my apps and keep them across deifferent devices, i use appbrain.

Reactions: cgardnervt

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
When the new market rolls out to us, it does have support for multiple accounts.
Also, I have a galaxy tab in my collection and I used the same gmail address as my phone. In the market on the tab, all the apps I previously paid for are there, ready to download. So i don't think there is anything wrong with sharing apps with yourself

sent to you in three dimensions

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
When the new market rolls out to us, it does have support for multiple accounts.
Also, I have a galaxy tab in my collection and I used the same gmail address as my phone. In the market on the tab, all the apps I previously paid for are there, ready to download. So i don't think there is anything wrong with sharing apps with yourself

sent to you in three dimensions

Awesome news! So I need to get the new App market for this option. For now I will wait for the market to update it self. I don't have my tablet yet. I am waiting for the new ones to come this fall before picking one up I think. I hope they make a Thrive 2!

Again thanks for all the replies! As always it's awesome being a part of this community! Always helpful faces around the boards.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
3) Paid apps will be available on the new device only if the developer has allowed them on the new device. For instance, your version of an app may be the phone version and another version must be used on tablets. The Android Market does not back up your app settings by default and will not transfer over your free apps unless you know the tricks to backing up and restoring apps:
Backup, Restore or Transfer Apps, Files, and Settings

4) I use Amazon and Google almost daily and have never had a problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt