1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP!!!

Default [HOW TO] Setup Google Voice with Sprint and have separate numbers

NOTE: These directions were written on a phone with a small screen size, so your screen may display differently. The general idea is still the same and all processes should go in the same order.

There have been many questions about setting up Google Voice properly since Sprint and Google attempted to merge the Google Voice settings for phone numbers/voicemail. Even if you have already merged your numbers, you can separate them and use them as different lines when calling people. Follow these instructions.

NOTE: For those that have already merged your number (whether by accident or you just want to change it back now) need to complete these two steps before proceeding.

1: Uninstall Google Voice from phone.
    2: Login to and click "disable" here:
    Click here:

Then disable here (mine says enable, yours will say disable if you have it "synced"):
    NOTE: If you link does not say "disable" then skip this step and continue to instructions.

EVERYONE SHOULD BE AT THE SAME POINT BEFORE GOING FURTHER.
    -No Google Voice on phone.
    -Disable link clicked on OR never activated before

Now, on to setting it up!

Download and install to phone:

Open up Google Voice and DO NOT TAP ANYTHING! (This is a very important step)
    You will see this:

Scroll down until you see this "hidden" skip button and tap it:

Sign in with gmail account:

Tap "Next":

Select this so that you have the option when making calls (this can be changed later):

Tap "Next":

Click number to dial (just to be certain) and then tap "Configure" to continue:
    Note: Dialing the number does not result in a voice call to anyone. It just dials a system to update.

Select "Google Voice":

If you get this notice, just select "OK" and then hit the physical back button to get back to Google Voice setup:

Click "Finish":

NOW, you must do one more thing to make Google Voice work!
    Go to
    Click here:

Then click here to activate your new Google voicemail to send notifications to your phone!:
    NOTE: If you get any additional popups here just click ok/done to dismiss them.

Now, you can add the widget to your home screen and have someone call you to give it a try. For the first time, give it a few minutes to update before thinking it doesn't work. Enjoy!
    "Th- th- thinking of a master plan"
    Thanked by 3:

Default Re: [HOW TO] Setup Google Voice with Sprint and have separate num

Thanks for posting this up! I was trying to figure this out all weekend, so its greatly appreciated.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP!!!

Cool! Glad I could help!
    iEd

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
    NOTE: These directions were written on a phone with a small screen size, so your screen may display differently. The general idea is still the same and all processes should go in the same order.

There have been many questions about setting up Google Voice properly since Sprint and Google attempted to merge the Google Voice settings for phone numbers/voicemail. Even if you have already merged your numbers, you can separate them and use them as different lines when calling people. Follow these instructions.

NOTE: For those that have already merged your number (whether by accident or you just want to change it back now) need to complete these two steps before proceeding.

1: Uninstall Google Voice from phone.
    2: Login to and click "disable" here:
    Click here:

Then disable here (mine says enable, yours will say disable if you have it "synced"):
    NOTE: If you link does not say "disable" then skip this step and continue to instructions.

EVERYONE SHOULD BE AT THE SAME POINT BEFORE GOING FURTHER.
    -No Google Voice on phone.
    -Disable link clicked on OR never activated before

Now, on to setting it up!

Download and install to phone:

Open up Google Voice and DO NOT TAP ANYTHING! (This is a very important step)
    You will see this:

Scroll down until you see this "hidden" skip button and tap it:

Sign in with gmail account:

Tap "Next":

Select this so that you have the option when making calls (this can be changed later):

Tap "Next":

Click number to dial (just to be certain) and then tap "Configure" to continue:
    Note: Dialing the number does not result in a voice call to anyone. It just dials a system to update.

Select "Google Voice":

If you get this notice, just select "OK" and then hit the physical back button to get back to Google Voice setup:

Click "Finish":

NOW, you must do one more thing to make Google Voice work!
    Go to
    Click here:

Then click here to activate your new Google voicemail to send notifications to your phone!:
    NOTE: If you get any additional popups here just click ok/done to dismiss them.

Now, you can add the widget to your home screen and have someone call you to give it a try. For the first time, give it a few minutes to update before thinking it doesn't work. Enjoy!
    I've stayed away from GV heard so many horror stories. This thread inspired me to give it a try

I like that I can now use my Sprint number w/ GV... I only wanted their voicemail service so I can get the free transcription which Sprint wants you to pay for, which makes no sense since they partnered up. Plus the texts getting logged online is kinda cool, let's me check and txt from my pc too.
    Thanked by:
    iEd

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts

Calling from the computer is sweet too.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Androidceb View Post
    Calling from the computer is sweet too.
    Yep. So many possibilities with it. Also, you may be interested in this:
    Thanked by:
    iEd 

I seem to have everything set right, but it won't let me make calls from Google Voice. It just dials via phone no matter if I say "ask every time" or "use Gvoice to make all calls". The only way I've been able to use gvoice is if someone has called me and I click on that voice mail, hit settings and choose "call". Any ideas?

EDIT: OK, I hadn't merged Google voice or set it up on this phone, but apparently I had set it up previously. So when I dialed the *28 number it must have deactivated it. Re-dialing the number has everything working as it should.
    Last edited by Led_Zappa; 08-17-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    iEd

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
    Yep. So many possibilities with it. Also, you may be interested in this:
    Good Stuff, Intense but good

Thank you! I was trying to figure out how to get Google voice setup as only voicemail - thanks!