Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry HTC Evo 3d does not play internet video

My new evo 3d cannot seem to play the video on any major video website. I've tried the video section on foxnews.com, the daily show, the colbert report and amazon video on demand. All of them stall out or say 'unable to connect'. Why shouldn't this superphone be able to play simple online videos like a low end laptop or an iphone can? Anyone else with the evo 3d; could you try watching an episode or clip from these websites, and see if you have any more luck? Thanks!

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Default Re: HTC Evo 3d does not play internet video

is your flash enabled/up to date?

I would start there

Carrier
    CleanROM, Revolver

I generally have no issues at all with internet videos. However, I did try foxnews, and their videos don't play. I just get a black box. Perhaps they are HTML 5. Try the skyfire browser from the market. Also, there is a fox news app that plays videos.

Carrier
    n/a for now

Quote Originally Posted by Seafox420 View Post
    My new evo 3d cannot seem to play the video on any major video website. I've tried the video section on foxnews.com, the daily show, the colbert report and amazon video on demand. All of them stall out or say 'unable to connect'. Why shouldn't this superphone be able to play simple online videos like a low end laptop or an iphone can? Anyone else with the evo 3d; could you try watching an episode or clip from these websites, and see if you have any more luck? Thanks!
    There is a setting in the Evo 3D browser where you choose the location and size of the video buffer/cache. I had the same problem playing video until I picked the SD card as the default location. I can't remember if I changed the size or not. Sorry I can't be more help as I returned my Evo 3D so don't know exactly where the setting is but I'm sure it should be easy to find. If not maybe another owner can chime in.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Chitwood View Post
    There is a setting in the Evo 3D browser where you choose the location and size of the video buffer/cache. I had the same problem playing video until I picked the SD card as the default location. I can't remember if I changed the size or not. Sorry I can't be more help as I returned my Evo 3D so don't know exactly where the setting is but I'm sure it should be easy to find. If not maybe another owner can chime in.
    I found the setting you were talking about. After opening the browser, press the menu button, then More, then settings. It's at the bottom under Advanced configuration. However, on mine it is automatically set to download storage to the SD card, but after I changed the cache size, the videos on those websites played fine.

I also cannot get fox to play videos. Daily Show played commercial and then sat there for a while and went straight to "replay video".

help

EDIT: Fox works now. Had to hit tiny play button on bottom left.

Carrier
    n/a for now

You tried what I had said in my previous post? Set the buffer/cache location? The default browser that comes with GB really is garbage. You guys should try Xscope in the Android Market. Its free now (used to be $3 I think). It really is the best browser you can get. Its very fast and has some features that are very usefull. Also, I haven't had any issues playing videos with this browser, as it comes with a media player built in instead of using whatever that sorry excuse for a media player Gallery is. I'm running it on 2.3.5 Nexus S 4G but I don't think it should matter. Cheers

PS: I play coach stays, he goes I go
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Wow, fantastic everyone, I wasn't expecting such a response. However, my cache size is already set to the maximum and the sd card. I tried dolphin browser hd, skyfire and xscope, but all have the same problem. Skyfire does have a tool to convert video into compressed html5, but I wish I could just watch normal video. Could it be a problem with my phone specifically?

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seafox420 View Post
    Wow, fantastic everyone, I wasn't expecting such a response. However, my cache size is already set to the maximum and the sd card. I tried dolphin browser hd, skyfire and xscope, but all have the same problem. Skyfire does have a tool to convert video into compressed html5, but I wish I could just watch normal video. Could it be a problem with my phone specifically?
    I have the same problem with my EVO 3D as you. I've been trying all the suggestions left here also without success.

I can play videos on my wifi tablet or laptop while connected to my phone's hotspot so I'm thinking the problem must be a browser setting.

what browsers are u using...

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Dolphin HD and the stock browser.

Quote Originally Posted by bbarend View Post
    I generally have no issues at all with internet videos. However, I did try foxnews, and their videos don't play. I just get a black box. Perhaps they are HTML 5. Try the skyfire browser from the market. Also, there is a fox news app that plays videos.
    Not being able to get Fox News may be a blessing in disguise.
    cloak.n.dagger likes this.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,190 Global Posts
    Carrier
    "Lollipop" 5.1 Stock

I tried to mobile and the full site. Both work fine for me.

I tried them also with Dolphin HD and they all work fine. I haven't made any changes other than cache size, which I did the day I got the phone just out of habit...not to fix anything.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I've tried all the browsers described above, as well as the stock htc browser.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,190 Global Posts
    Carrier
    "Lollipop" 5.1 Stock

On the Foxnews site, are you tapping the small play button in the lower left-hand corner of the video window? Not the big play graphic in the center of the window.

What happens when you try to play a video?

I did that and then scanned over to the play button to launch it.

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

I was able to get the Fox news videos to play, too,:-)
    I still can't get Amazon Instant Videos to play.

On my EVO 3d any video I try to watch, even YouTube, and all my mp3 music stored online---everything--- keeps stopping to rebuffer (or whatever you call it). Getting more than a little fed up with this phone. Not so fast either. And I've yet to see good 3d. However this video/mp3 problem is a MUST FIX!!! But how???????

Had the same issue as nothing would play. Not youtube,watch, cnn video. When I did a factory reset it worked for a brief period then stopped again. I found out that the proxy settings were wrong on my phone. Go to Sprint Community: Home and go to the evo 3d forum and post that your video is not working and the sprint techs will help you with the fix. Good luck.
    Sambo41 likes this.

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

Thanks, I'll try that.

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

After talking with Sprint and Amazon.com tech support, all I had to do to get Amazon Instant Videos to stream and play on my EVO was to update the Adobe Flash Player to version 10.3

They play perfect now!
    Wiley_11 likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Wow, updating flash was indeed the answer. It seems this phone ships with an outdated version, yet doesn't update itself automatically. Thanks for the support everyone!

Just tuned in a saw your reply, kc8utq. Thanks for the tip. Will do

I am also new to this. I own a video production website and working on it to make it exclusive. In the process I have faced several difficulties. Kindly send me your suggestions that you find worthy of its kind and also mention me any changes or modifications that needs to be done in my website. Also please let me know if some features are missing. Have a look at my website.

www {dot} inspiredbc {dot} com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast