Evo 3d vs. Galaxy s2

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Not being a jerk but, you posted your question in the 3D forum and thought folks here were going to say anything other than get the 3D? lol. I would've at least waited until the Specs for the SGS2 get announced tomorrow before making a decision. BTW the European version of the SGS2 has already gotten a few updates as well.

nextjeter2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Haha I normally like to put in both forums to see why every day users really like it. This time there is no one using the other option lol. But what made me pull the trigger was sense. And I still have my 30 days to switch but wow I am not switching comparing sense to tocihwiz is a joke. Evo 3d man!

Reactions: CarrieK

rahrah12

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This is my first experience with Android...I really like my Evo3D...It does everything that I need it to do.

Still miss WebOs but that is another issue.

I have no desire to try the Photon but would have loved to check out the Galaxy S2 to see which version of Android I like the best. That said I won't lose any sleep over it and will keep the Evo3D with no regrets.

nextjeter2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Haha yea if It weren't for the fact I have used touchwiz on my fascinate and removed it for how bad it is and also my friend who works for samsung had a unlocked gs2 I tried quickly that I still don't like touchwiz

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The EVO 3D, Photon, and Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G (SGS2) are all great phones but Sprint is expected to be dropping the price of the Photon and EVO 3D to $99 as the SGS2 is announced.

See the Phone Comparison for details but here is a quick summary.

The Epic Touch (SGS2) is SAMOLED which makes it brighter with less power. Each pixel has it's own Light Emitting Diodes. A black pixel needs almost no power because the LED's are off. The display is a big power drain so using less power to show dark colors is important. Also black is almost completely black giving very high contrast and making it easier to read in daylight.

The EVO 3D and Photon use Liquid Crystal Displays coving a series of backlights that are always on. The LCD is like the "gels" that are used in front of theater lights to block different colors. The white light is still just as bright and hot, the gels just reduce certain colors. That is why the "black" on an LCD can look dark gray and why a black LCD background saves no power. The backlights are just as bright.

An LCD phone is thicker because it needs a backlight to make the light and the LCD layer to block the light. So the total volume of the EVO 3D is 40% morel than the SGS2. The Photon is 50% bigger than the SGS2.

The backlight layer also adds weight contributing to the EVO 3D and Photon weighing about a third more than the SGS2.

The Epic Touch 4G is also expected to add Near Field Communication and USB Host (USB OTG).

These are all 4.3" with the Photon and EVO 3D having 960x540 displays. They are all fast dual core CPU's with 1024MB of RAM. The SGS2 internal memory is expected to be 16GB like the Photon. The EVO 3D is 4GB. All three have microSD cards, HDMI, and DLNA. The SGS2 and Photon have 8MP rear cameras. The EVO 3D is 5MP 3D.

And in the end, no specs can tell you what will feel best to you. Sprint will has three of the best phones of 2011.

Last edited:
Reactions: Averix

nextjeter2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It's funny cause you would think that 5mp instead of 8 would be worse but I feel 3d 5mp is better imo then 8mp 2d I personally love it

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The EVO 3D, Photon, and Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G (SGS2) are all great phones but Sprint is expected to be dropping the price of the Photon and EVO 3D to $99 as the SGS2 is announced.

See the Phone Comparison for details but here is a quick summary.

The Epic Touch (SGS2) is SAMOLED which makes it brighter with less power. Each pixel has it's own Light Emitting Diodes. A black pixel needs almost no power because the LED's are off. The display is a big power drain so using less power to show dark colors is important. Also black is almost completely black giving very high contrast and making it easier to read in daylight.

The EVO 3D and Photon use Liquid Crystal Displays coving a series of backlights that are always on. The LCD is like the "gels" that are used in front of theater lights to block different colors. The white light is still just as bright and hot, the gels just reduce certain colors. That is why the "black" on an LCD can look dark gray and why a black LCD background saves no power. The backlights are just as bright.

An LCD phone is thicker because it needs a backlight to make the light and the LCD layer to block the light. So the total volume of the EVO 3D is 40% morel than the SGS2. The Photon is 50% bigger than the SGS2.

The backlight layer also adds weight contributing to the EVO 3D and Photon weighing about a third more than the SGS2.

The Epic Touch 4G is also expected to add Near Field Communication and USB Host (USB OTG).

These are all 4.3" with the Photon and EVO 3D having 960x540 displays. They are all fast dual core CPU's with 1024MB of RAM. The SGS2 internal memory is expected to be 16GB like the Photon. The EVO 3D is 4GB. All three have microSD cards, HDMI, and DLNA. The SGS2 and Photon have 8MP rear cameras. The EVO 3D is 5MP 3D.

And in the end, no specs can tell you what will feel best to you. Sprint will has three of the best phones of 2011.
Great summary Milo. Each phone always has their strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes the subjective nature of one feature can turn someone completely off a phone. Displays are one of the best culprits. OLED vs. LCD vs. pentile LCD vs. resolution vs. brightness vs. etc. Some people love the color saturation of the OLED screens, some hate them. Some people don't mind a pentile display, others can't stand them.
I'm just thankful there is enough variety in all the carriers' lineups to give me enough choice to pick the phone features I like best. This has been a great year for phone variety and I hope next year is even better.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
While all three do have hdmi, afaik the EVO 3D is the only one with mhl and full hdmi mirroring. It is a great time to be with Sprint though, lots of excellent choices! There is something for everyone :D

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you really use that much room? 64gb?

lol...YES. I have movies, ROM's, and a TON of music I put on my Evo4G. And I'm out of room with a 32GB SD Card. Not to mention the more room you have on your phone, the faster it is. I partitioned my 32GB with an ext3 and my phone flies now running a Sense 3.0 ROM. The only problem with the sammy is that I don't like Samsung phones. TV's are fine. I wish HTC would release a phone with 32GB onboard.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
lol...YES. I have movies, ROM's, and a TON of music I put on my Evo4G. And I'm out of room with a 32GB SD Card. Not to mention the more room you have on your phone, the faster it is. I partitioned my 32GB with an ext3 and my phone flies now running a Sense 3.0 ROM. The only problem with the sammy is that I don't like Samsung phones. TV's are fine. I wish HTC would release a phone with 32GB onboard.

I know what you mean! I have tons of music, pictures, videos...you name it. I'm going to have to make some tough choices soon because my 32 gb card is getting pretty full. Perhaps time to archive some older stuff onto my pc...:p

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Switching from Evo 3D to Samsung Galaxy S II?

Yep, I need to use my upgrade. Been sitting on it a year now. I have the 3d and Photon a 3rd phone isnt needed. But my upgrade is wasting away.

nextjeter2

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Switching from Evo 3D to Samsung Galaxy S II?

I'm less then a week in so I could change but I will not even think of it due to screen res. The Evo is qhd which is 960x540 with a 4.3in screen. The epic touch is 4.52 with is only 800 x 480 resolution. Much lower and bigger screen extremely disappointing otherwise I would consider trying it. But I have good vision and hate seeing pixels. On my Evo I cannot in day to day use

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21