Camera shutter sound

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not easily. If you're rooted, you can manually replace that sound with a silent noise or something.
It is seriously irritating, but seems to be the trend for privacy reasons.

ihatethisregistration

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Odd... I had the sound turned off before the update, now (after the update) the option to turn off the sound is gone, but mine is still off! I'm glad, but very unhappy that this may change in the future. I always take candid shots of friends and family, and that stupid sound would completely ruin my pictures.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Odd... I had the sound turned off before the update, now (after the update) the option to turn off the sound is gone, but mine is still off! I'm glad, but very unhappy that this may change in the future. I always take candid shots of friends and family, and that stupid sound would completely ruin my pictures.

Had that too. I reset the camera preferences to check the green color issue. Once that's done, the shutter sound is there. The setting for no shutter sound carries over from the previous version and still works, but as soon as that gets wiped out, there is no way to set it to off again.
So, whatever you do, don't reset your camera preferences. I don't know if making minor changes will write them out again too since I can't test that anymore.

jrojas12

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I turned mine off before update and now mine is locked in "silent"

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Did you try turning your your ringer call ringer volume to vibrate? That's what mine is on the majority of the time, and I get no shutter sound.

Symphony_of_Sickness

May 26, 2011
Visit site
i have the app Volume + on my phone and when i turn the volume down to 0 the camera shutter isn't silent but much lower. before the update my shutter sound was completely off. now it's not. my green issue is still there too but mostly on low lit subjects. maybe HTC killed the shutter option to make it so people won't abuse the camera function. you know for the perverts in the world. lol. i just find the shutter sound annoying. on my main camera it's also off too.

dotsin

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I use Silentsnap, it is an app in the market and it makes your shutter silent when you open your camera through that app. It will also put your phone on silent, but that is an easy fix. :p

Reactions: lamonicaj

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com
The sound isn't as bad as the Motorola one, but if you are rooted, you can use CWM to flash a replacement HTC_Camera.apk that is missing the camera and video click sounds.

(The focus sounds are controlled by the media level)

wes6440

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Mine too

ihatethisregistration

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why I'm feeding the trolls, but, I used to be a professional photographer, and while I still have my dslr with me much of the time, my phone (sans ugly shutter noise) is fine for candid shots when I don't have it on me. Also notice two things about my previous post:

1) Friends and family

2) CANDID

The shutter noise is fine if all you want are a bunch of pictures of your friends grinning like idiots while chugging cheap beer, but to capture a true moment requires patience, skill, and discretion.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If you wanna go for a 3rd party app , you can use Audio Manager (available both free & paid versions) & then set the System Volume to zero , as I far as I know it only mutes the camera shutter

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No doubt! Taking pics of people without their consent is just wrong, and somewhat pervish!

Yes, it is. No one should argue that, but there are cases where having that shutter sound can ruin some good pictures.
Consider the case where you have a sleeping baby and want to get a few pics of the adorable bundle of joy. Oh wait! One snap and now instead of adorable pictures to send off to grandma, you have 15 minutes of calming a crying baby.
Now consider a trip to the zoo. Your child is feeding a baby reindeer in the petting zoo. Cutest thing ever and likely this year's family Christmas card. Oh wait! One badly focused pic and before you can take another one, the shutter sound has frightened the animal and now you have to take the whole family into Wal-Mart for a family Christmas pic with fake smiles and crappy backdrop.

There are legitimate reasons to have a silent shutter. Oh and for the record, the Wal-Mart thing is just a hypothetical argument. I won't set foot in that place. :)

thascourge

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is. No one should argue that,

Yes they should - it is a FIRST AMENDMENT right. The only places you don't have a right to take a picture of whatever you want are on private property and goverment places where there are rules about photography.

In public, anyone should be able to take pictures of whatever or whoever they want. Some of the best photographers in the history of photography - Henri Cartier Bresson, Gary Winogrand, Elliot Erwitt, etc, etc, etc, etc, would have been NOTHING if they had asked every subject if it was OK to take their picture.

As long as the intent is not pervish, there is nothing pervish about taking photos of people in public without their consent.

The fact that you assume all people taking candid shots are pervish also says something about you.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This whole subject is a grey area. There must be some kind of laws somewhere because just last Saturday my son and I went to take some recycling and the city was sponsoring an awareness drive, giving away gift cards and other prizes. They asked if it would be ok to take our picture while we were registering because they wanted to possibly post it on their website and had us sign a consent form. Another time, I was at a concert event where they were filming a video and since they were panning the crowd where I was going to be, asked us to sign a consent form (unfortunately you couldn't see much of me, I was mostly in shadow :( ). Anyway, maybe it has nothing to do with privacy laws...maybe they request permission so that you can't come back later and demand payment or something, idk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc