Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Camera shutter sound

With the new update to the HTC EVO 3D, you CANNOT turn off the camera shutter sound anymore. Any suggestions on how do beat this?

ROM
    Stock on most

Default Re: Camera shutter sound

Not easily. If you're rooted, you can manually replace that sound with a silent noise or something.
    It is seriously irritating, but seems to be the trend for privacy reasons.

Odd... I had the sound turned off before the update, now (after the update) the option to turn off the sound is gone, but mine is still off! I'm glad, but very unhappy that this may change in the future. I always take candid shots of friends and family, and that stupid sound would completely ruin my pictures.

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by leroy3rd View Post
    Odd... I had the sound turned off before the update, now (after the update) the option to turn off the sound is gone, but mine is still off! I'm glad, but very unhappy that this may change in the future. I always take candid shots of friends and family, and that stupid sound would completely ruin my pictures.
    Had that too. I reset the camera preferences to check the green color issue. Once that's done, the shutter sound is there. The setting for no shutter sound carries over from the previous version and still works, but as soon as that gets wiped out, there is no way to set it to off again.
    So, whatever you do, don't reset your camera preferences. I don't know if making minor changes will write them out again too since I can't test that anymore.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Can you change the app and have that as an option?

I know you can a lot of other default apps on the phone.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

I'm in the same boat, I turned mine off before update and now mine is locked in "silent"

Did you try turning your your ringer call ringer volume to vibrate? That's what mine is on the majority of the time, and I get no shutter sound.

Sorry about the double words. I meant turn the ringer volume to vibrate.

how can you turn off the camera shutter sound???? only through being rooted??

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I always take candid shots of friends and family, and that stupid sound would completely ruin my pictures.
    Am I the only one slightly creeped out by this?

i have the app Volume + on my phone and when i turn the volume down to 0 the camera shutter isn't silent but much lower. before the update my shutter sound was completely off. now it's not. my green issue is still there too but mostly on low lit subjects. maybe HTC killed the shutter option to make it so people won't abuse the camera function. you know for the perverts in the world. lol. i just find the shutter sound annoying. on my main camera it's also off too.

I use Silentsnap, it is an app in the market and it makes your shutter silent when you open your camera through that app. It will also put your phone on silent, but that is an easy fix.
    I have no idea what I am doing
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

The sound isn't as bad as the Motorola one, but if you are rooted, you can use CWM to flash a replacement HTC_Camera.apk that is missing the camera and video click sounds.

(The focus sounds are controlled by the media level)

Quote Originally Posted by cheechmo View Post
    Am I the only one slightly creeped out by this?
    No doubt! Taking pics of people without their consent is just wrong, and somewhat pervish!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Mine too

Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    No doubt! Taking pics of people without their consent is just wrong, and somewhat pervish!

You clearly don't know the first thing about photography.
    stephentheh likes this.

I know a lot about photography, taking pictures of people without their consent is just wrong. I guess no more stalking people at Walmart for you.

I don't know why I'm feeding the trolls, but, I used to be a professional photographer, and while I still have my dslr with me much of the time, my phone (sans ugly shutter noise) is fine for candid shots when I don't have it on me. Also notice two things about my previous post:

1) Friends and family

2) CANDID

The shutter noise is fine if all you want are a bunch of pictures of your friends grinning like idiots while chugging cheap beer, but to capture a true moment requires patience, skill, and discretion.
    = I C E D R E E =

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - Stock 4.0.4

If you wanna go for a 3rd party app , you can use Audio Manager (available both free & paid versions) & then set the System Volume to zero , as I far as I know it only mutes the camera shutter

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    Yes, it is. No one should argue that, but there are cases where having that shutter sound can ruin some good pictures.
    Consider the case where you have a sleeping baby and want to get a few pics of the adorable bundle of joy. Oh wait! One snap and now instead of adorable pictures to send off to grandma, you have 15 minutes of calming a crying baby.
    Now consider a trip to the zoo. Your child is feeding a baby reindeer in the petting zoo. Cutest thing ever and likely this year's family Christmas card. Oh wait! One badly focused pic and before you can take another one, the shutter sound has frightened the animal and now you have to take the whole family into Wal-Mart for a family Christmas pic with fake smiles and crappy backdrop.

There are legitimate reasons to have a silent shutter. Oh and for the record, the Wal-Mart thing is just a hypothetical argument. I won't set foot in that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Averix View Post
    Yes, it is. No one should argue that,

Yes they should - it is a FIRST AMENDMENT right. The only places you don't have a right to take a picture of whatever you want are on private property and goverment places where there are rules about photography.

In public, anyone should be able to take pictures of whatever or whoever they want. Some of the best photographers in the history of photography - Henri Cartier Bresson, Gary Winogrand, Elliot Erwitt, etc, etc, etc, etc, would have been NOTHING if they had asked every subject if it was OK to take their picture.

As long as the intent is not pervish, there is nothing pervish about taking photos of people in public without their consent.

The fact that you assume all people taking candid shots are pervish also says something about you.
    Thanked by:
    stephentheh and Wiley_11 like this.

This whole subject is a grey area. There must be some kind of laws somewhere because just last Saturday my son and I went to take some recycling and the city was sponsoring an awareness drive, giving away gift cards and other prizes. They asked if it would be ok to take our picture while we were registering because they wanted to possibly post it on their website and had us sign a consent form. Another time, I was at a concert event where they were filming a video and since they were panning the crowd where I was going to be, asked us to sign a consent form (unfortunately you couldn't see much of me, I was mostly in shadow ). Anyway, maybe it has nothing to do with privacy laws...maybe they request permission so that you can't come back later and demand payment or something, idk.
    Please thank me if I have helped!

Member E3DOC since 6/23/2011 Lovin' my new NS4G as well!

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
    This whole subject is a grey area. There must be some kind of laws somewhere because just last Saturday my son and I went to take some recycling and the city was sponsoring an awareness drive, giving away gift cards and other prizes. They asked if it would be ok to take our picture while we were registering because they wanted to possibly post it on their website and had us sign a consent form. Another time, I was at a concert event where they were filming a video and since they were panning the crowd where I was going to be, asked us to sign a consent form (unfortunately you couldn't see much of me, I was mostly in shadow ). Anyway, maybe it has nothing to do with privacy laws...maybe they request permission so that you can't come back later and demand payment or something, idk.
    You are correct in your assumptions. Also it is very grey, which is why it is still debated in courts. Pics for art fall under our freedom of speech (still debatable though). While living in southern California, I signed a few of those waivers. If you read all of the fine print, it does waive all rights so they can use it for advertisements.
    Android Ninja in Training
    EVO 3D
    TF201 64GB

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

There is nothing preventing HTC from removing the sound. There are too many arguments that can be made.

There is no sound when recording video.
    The phone user can mute all sound to the phone.
    There is nothing defining the level of the sound.
    All of my other cameras have ability to mute click.
    Security cameras take pictures all day without sound... Etc, etc.

HTC please fix this bug. Btw there is also a bug with Mirror app.
    Thanked by:
    Wiley_11 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
    That "grey area" is for their ability to use it for commercial uses.

If it is for art or personal use, you have no recourse for when someone snaps a pic of you. Now if they are HARASSING you, sure - trying to take pics up your skirt or simply following you around everywhere and not leaving you alone.

But that is not the camera's fault, and people who legitimately use cameras should not be penalized for it.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast