Does The EVO3D Become Slow & Unresponsive After Being Used A Lot?

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

With my Palm Pre, after I use it a lot and for a while, it slows down and I get (Card Errors). At that point I can't load apps or even open web pages. The only way to fix it, is to reset the phone. Does the EVO 3D suffer from anything like this, or can it keep performing functions after hours of use, in the same compacity that it could after first being turned on hours eariler? Or does the EVO 3D also need to be reset after hours of use, in order to get alll of it's memory and processing resources back? And how long does it take for the EVO 3D to reset? Please tell me it's not 7 minutes like my Palm Pre.

Thanks in advance!

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Does The EVO3D Become Slow & Unresponsive After Being Used A

Well OP, I can tell you that I have had mine since 6/23 and use it constantly and it still is just as quick and responsive as it was the day I got it. It is an excellent device. In fact, it is better now because I am rooted! :D

Reactions: the2ndflood

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

no slowdowns for me had it since launch day and works as fast as day I received it.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

ok, I'm new to android, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt...

it is my understanding that Android frees up memory as needed so that you will not have such slow downs with any normal use, even long term usage. it is the number one reason why you don't need to kill tasks to free up memory with a task killer.

there are only two reasons to kill a task because of this. 1) the task is locked up and wont stop running in the background, and 2) you want to benchmark your phone using the most free memory that you can have.
in fact at times it seems that the phone works best if you don't use a task killer at all unless you must...see reason #1.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

The only thing that will "slow down" the phone is that with some graphically intense live wallpapers the animations between homescreens might get a little jerky, especially if you have a bunch of full screen HTC widgets running that need to be updated over the internet occassionaly to show the latest data. Other than that...nope, you can switch from Angry Birds back to the browser, do some texting, and back to the game without hardly a wait.

Restarting the phone? That's a fun exercise when you're in need to see the Sprint animation that shows up when the phone boots.....orrrrrrrrrrr...if you have some crap app just kill your phone, but even that doesn't need a reboot most of the time since HTC thoughtfully included a task manager with which you can kill off the offending app. This task manager works very well and I find it to be a valuable tool, a tool you don't have to use every day to make the perform well, but a tool that's nice to have when needed.

Ask Vick, he had a Palm Pre, the difference between it and the Evo 3d is like the difference between a Pentium 200 with Windows 98 and a Core i7 with Windows 7, and yes, I had a Palm Pre too. Too bad I jumped right on to the Evo 4g, had I waited and kept the Pre until the Evo 3d, like Vick did, this phone would have blown my mind even more!

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Words With Friends is pretty laggy. I wonder why. Doesn't load as fast as the other applications.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site

Trust me....as someone who used the Pre as well this phone performs light years better. The processing power in this device is far greater than the Pre. You won't notice any of those issues. Start up time is quick if the Fast Boot setting is enabled. Otherwise about 2 minutes.

exile

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I was going to make a thread about this. I'll put it in here too since this is relative to your question.

I notice a slight problem when I use it for a prolong period of time. When I drive down to school and come back for break I use my GPS. The drive is 5 hours, Chicago suburbs to southern Illinois.

I would say about 3.... and a half hours of driving the phone seems to overheat. This happened to me about 3 times so far. When driving... It is very frustrating.

The phone is pretty hot. So I figure since the GPS has been on for so long... The phone over heats.

I can't even turn it back on. Even after pulling the battery to reset it. I just have to give it some time for the phone to cool down. I thought I read somewhere that this is nvidia's little protection for the gpu? To have it shut down when it reaches a certain tempurature to prevent potential damage to the hardware?

Edit*

After asking around and seeing what might be the potential problem to my situation, I figured out the answer. The phone doesn't overheat. It just gets hot in general. the thing is the car charger and how it recharges the battery.

The car charger I have is from sprint, its a car adapter and have the prongs to plug it in home too. Its also got two usb ports to connect another phone or something to charge.

I only have the phone charging so the other usb port is left unused. After I realized that it isn't overheating or something ridiculous like that, I thought it was my usb cable. I ran a 6ft usb extension in my car to the ceiling. Hidden wire... Just enough slack so it sticks out from the ceiling board into the phone when it is docked into my gps mount. the extension isn't the problem.

although the phone is charging the whole time, having the gps on constantly with the screen also on constantly, the combination of the two just sucks the battery dry. The reason why the phone couldn't turn back on wasn't because it overheated and had shut down. the battery was just dead.

So if you're planning on going on a long drive and using the GPS... You'll have to keep the screen off while still have the gps on. the gps will still guide you and talk to you, but it won't be draining the battery fast enough where the charger can't keep up.

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Last edited:

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for everyones help! It sounds like I won't be dealing with the slow down issues that I have been dealing with on my Palm Pre. From everything that I have read and heard about, the EVO 3D sounds like the next device I'm going to upgrade to. I'm just glad there is forums like this, so I can find out as much as possible before I buy a new phone.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Reactions: CarrieK

exile

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Edited my post and added new details. Just to correct what I was saying. I don't want to misinform you nor change your decision about the phone. Just the facts to the problem so you're not mislead or anything!

Its not a big problem or anything nor do I want to make it sound like it is. Just something that happens :-D

Sent from HTC Evo 3D using Tapatalk