Wifi tethering that actually works...

Jace985

May 27, 2011
Visit site
For me atleast.. download the latest beta not the experimental version wifi tether from Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting and install it and go to settings and make sure mss clamping and routing fix are selected and it should work perfectly no more stuck on just google and other problems. The other method listed in here wasn't working for me it would only let me go to google and I saw other people with the same problem so figure I would point out what worked for me.

I'm using beta version 6 for reference.
Mss clamping selected
Routing fix selected
Need to be rooted

CMILD561

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
are there any programs that allow tethering without being rooted, there are apps but they cost 10 dollars and i dont feel like arguing for my money back if they dont work. the only reason i really need to root my phone is for tethering, im happy with the rest of my phone otherwise, so if i could figure out how to tether without rooting then there really is no need for me to root.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, for me also the main reason to root was to get the WiFi tethering without having to pay an extra $30/month for something I use only sporadically.

The no-root tethering programs (EasyTether, PdaNet) only work on USB and/or Bluetooth, and in my experiences worked very poorly when they worked at all. Sometimes I had to do multiple resets / uninstall & reinstall / redo settings to get it to work then the connections would drop after a few minutes, etc. Totally unsatisfactory.

WiFi seems to be a much more reliable standard for internet access but requires rooting (I don't know the technical reasons why). I found that the Wireless Tether app would work only on 4G but not 3G, whereas the unlocked hotspot that comes with some custom roms would work only on 3G. Grrrrr....

Anyway I FINALLY got the Wireless Tether working on 3G as well as 4G when I did the following. I gave WiFi Tether some tough love... While I had uninstalled and re-installed every version of Wireless Tether many times with no joy, one time I tried clearing data (via Menu / Settings / Applications / Manage applications / WiFi Tether / Clear data) BEFORE uninstalling WiFi Tether. Then after re-installing, it worked on 3G AND 4G... After that I could switch 4G on and off multiple times and it all worked. That was a couple of weeks ago and while sometimes I lose the connection and I have to stop/restart Wireless Tethering once or twice to get the connection working again, it's not a major inconvenience.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
you can media share with wireless on the EVO 3D using sprints built in hot spot software. It is nice for those who want to share files not the Internet.

CMILD561

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Stupid question. If you have WiFi then wi do you need to tether something over WiFi to your phone? Just connect your computer to the wifi. I need something to tether because I am constantly traveling for work and not all airports or hotels have free WiFi. So if I can tether my computer to my phone to access the internet to do stuff on my computer that is too complicated for a phone.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
THere are ways to wire your phone into your computer without paying Sprint $30 per month. To make your phone act as a wireless router is the problem. On your computer, you would connect to your phone just like any other wireless network. But you have to break the security in the phone (what rooting does) to get the wireless to work without paying Sprint. Unless someone found a way to do it without a root. You can connect like 8 devices at one time this way.

But the wired option requires software on the phone and computer. Like EasyThether Pro. If you only have one computer to connect, the wired option does work wonders. The laptop provides power to the phone as well. I would go with it. Pay the $10 for EasyTether Pro (one time charge) or another program. No root needed!

Last edited:
Reactions: CarrieK

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
or you could read this post that was posted on how to a while back... works everytime ;)
Didn't work for me on any version of Wireless Tether and some others... Until I did the "Clear Data" thingie as mentioned above, no joy on 3G although 4G always worked fine.

Stupid question. If you have WiFi then wi do you need to tether something over WiFi to your phone?
That's not what Wireless Tether does, it does just the opposite of that.

I need something to tether because I am constantly traveling for work and not all airports or hotels have free WiFi. So if I can tether my computer to my phone to access the internet to do stuff on my computer that is too complicated for a phone.
That's exactly what Wireless Tether is for. It turns your phone's internet connection (via your wireless service provider on 3G or 4G) into a WiFi hotspot for your computer in places where you DON'T have a free WiFi connection available.

You'll find that as soon as you activate Wireless Tether, everyone at the airport is trying to connect to your phone! So be sure that you have security enabled. (Although I would NEVER connect to an unknown/untrusted WiFi source, it opens up all sorts of data phishing possibilities. For that reason I use the EVO's wireless tether even when an open WiFi is available.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol