Small phillips screwdriver
    small star screwdriver
    soldering iron/solder
    Wire cutters
    Xacto knife
    Electrical tape
    Multimeter
    Palm touchstone with wall charger and USB cable
    Donor Micro USB cable (that would charge the phone)
    Two wires for the charging - I used the interior USB wires from the donor cable.

Got this done after some time. I wanted to do it right. I am coming from Palm and have REALLY missed having the ease of the touchstone. I had an old Pixi cover and was going to use that but its not a good choice, the setup is completely different and is not as compact as the cover from a Pre. I just so happened to have a Pre cover on my Pre (I also have it on my Franken Pre2 which now has a shattered screen but still works in wifi only duty)

Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0087.jpg

The charging coil, circuit board and associated steel discs (they are not magnetic, the magnet is in the touchstone itself) come right out and fit fine if you invert it so the circuit board is near to the camera. This lets the cover close a LOT easier. You need to keep the silver backing- the black backing fits fine and sticks right to the inside of the OEM 3d cover. No need to really work with it, although I did trim a little of the black that was near the circuit board. I didn't get a real good picture but you can see the inside back of the phone with the coil stuck to it in the above picture

The hard part is getting the power to the charging port. I had first wanted to solder it directly to the leads on the inside. Out come the screw drivers. There is NO room to do this. I didn't want to go so far as to pulling the board completely but I couldn't get that soldering done (see below)
    Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0088.jpg
    Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0089.jpg

Audible! I'll just use the stock port and trim down a USB jack. What I did different though was since I had the whole phone opened up, I ran the wiring *inside* and underneath the phone cover (not just the battery cover) The leads fit fine going out of the USB jack and don't obstruct anything plugging into the USB. Use leads that give you a LOT of extra room - I didn't but was ok - you can trim later depending on how much flex you want the USB nub to have. The wires come out at the battery connect point and the battery holds them in nice and tight. Solder the + to the + on the coil setup (verify with multimeter with just the back on a touchstone - you should get 5v and should be able to see + and -). Once thats soldered I adjusted the wiring going to the circuit board closed it all up leaving me with a + and - lead coming out of the sides of the USB jack. Verify voltage with the whole phone on the touchstone and continue.
    Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0090.jpg
    Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0091.jpg

I just used wire cutters (wear goggles) and cut away a MicroUSB jack. I connected and verified the phone would charge on the touchstone and then set out to make the USB as tiny as possible (it doesn't respond to cold pools like humans do so I had to cut away...)
    Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0092.jpg

I continued to use the wire cutters and took out everything I could. Pins 1 and 4 are what you want to concentrate on and just keep cutting. I also used an Xacto knife (be real careful as I almost lost 1/2 of the tip of my finger) Connect/test/solder the leads to your new nub and put it in the USB jack. Verify charging! You can use whatever you want at this point to seal it up. Some use Epoxy, some would use JBweld, maybe a liquid plastic would work. I used electrical tape (for now) and with the case I use its actually fine because it feels similar and being black doesn't look out of place.
    Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0095.jpg

This brings me to the last part - the cover. I just got a $7 cover from Amazon and liked using it. I didn't want to give it up but something had to be done so I can charge via touchstone without pulling the cover on and off. I cut a touchstone sized hole in the cover (with the cover off the phone...). This actually does more than just allow the charge to occur; it holds the phone where it should be. The 3d is pretty heavy and due to the dual cameras it sits a LOT higher on the touchstone than it should. Its top heavy. The cover holds it in good where it should be. I'll clean it up a little or buy a new one and actually use a hole saw to get a prefect circle.
    Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0096.jpg

Done!
    Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger-imag0097.jpg

I would without question do it again. Now I have a use for the touchstones I collected

You could really just install the coils inside the back of a protective cover and do the same too - just run the wiring inside the cover and have your own nub. Always test voltage if you are doing this because my cover wouldn't provide proper voltage.
    Thanked by 2:
    cgardnervt and bengalzerano like this.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Default Re: Evo 3d working with Palm Touchstone Charger

Nice work.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

Well done.

thank you, I'm going to want to try this its just I don't want void warrenty

impressive work

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

1) Similar mod was achieved by good people at , but without opening the phone and breaking the warranty seal on one of the screws.
    2) I hope you shorted pin 2 and pin 3 on the microUSB jack to get full 1000mA. If pins 2 and 3 are open, the phone reserves them for data connection and limits the charging to 500mA, or 2-3 times slower.
    3) How easy is it to remove the trimmed-down charging microUSB jack in order to free the port up for the USB data cable? Will it hold thousands of plugging-unplugging without breaking apart?
    4) You can replace the metal disks next to the coil with so that the phone can hold even on a vertically mounted touchstone, for example on a car dashboard. See better explanation .

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Nice mod,

There is an easier way but costs more. Buy a power mat.

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Its not just the charging. Its the magnet dock.

I'm even considering a magnet-only mod to my case just so I can use that feature while charging via plug since I'm rather wary of soldering irons.

wow, impressive! great job!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by bengalzerano View Post
    thank you, I'm going to want to try this its just I don't want void warrenty
    Its possible still - especially with a 3rd party protective case. I was looking for an inside only option and called a quick audible when I found zero space.

Quote Originally Posted by kruglovus View Post
    1) Similar mod was achieved by good people at , but without opening the phone and breaking the warranty seal on one of the screws.
    2) I hope you shorted pin 2 and pin 3 on the microUSB jack to get full 1000mA. If pins 2 and 3 are open, the phone reserves them for data connection and limits the charging to 500mA, or 2-3 times slower.
    Its shorted on the charger itself so its good. Same charge if it were plugged in directly. I was paying attention to it and yesterday it went from 20% to 95% in 3hrs and I was using it for a little bit. Otherwise it was just on the touchstone
    3) How easy is it to remove the trimmed-down charging microUSB jack in order to free the port up for the USB data cable? Will it hold thousands of plugging-unplugging without breaking apart?
    Its really easy. I'm not sure it will hold up to thousands but it shouldn't need to. Expected life of it even at 3 years is 1095 days - charge at home/work with a touchstone half that time and its 500. I'd expect it to hold up for at least that. If it does happen to break, it will be at the USB plug and would just require a resolder.
    4) You can replace the metal disks next to the coil with so that the phone can hold even on a vertically mounted touchstone, for example on a car dashboard. See better explanation .
    I'd be weary of actually adding a magnet. The compass is weird when its on the touchstone and that would render it fairly useless. It holds even inverted with the stock discs - it wont hold up to a bumpy car ride though
    -Greg

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse617 View Post
    Its shorted on the charger itself so its good. Same charge if it were plugged in directly. I was paying attention to it and yesterday it went from 20% to 95% in 3hrs and I was using it for a little bit. Otherwise it was just on the touchstone
    OK, it may be shorted on the charger, but it does not matter to the phone. The phone only "sees" what is plugged into the MicroUSB port. And my guess is that you have the trimmed microUSB jack there with pin 1 and 4 supplying electric power, and pins 2 and 3 open. The Touchstone coil on the back of the phone has only 2 contacts, + and -. And only 2 wires go from the coil to the jack.
    Your charging time example only supports my theory. 75% in 3 hours, or 100% in 4 hours. But if the phone is taking full 1000mA, then it should take 1.73 hours to fully charge the stock 1730mAh battery, if the phone is off. If it is on, and being used a little bit, then it is reasonable to expect it to fully charge in 2 hours. If it takes 4 hours to fully charge, then the phone only takes 500mA of incoming electric current. Try Current Widget - it shows (and logs) electric current, in mA, that the phone takes, net of what it uses (positive when charging, negative when not). If it reports the net current over 500mA, then you are right. The highest I saw on my Evo was 940mA. Compare it with charging from the wall charger (without Touchstone) and from a computer (should top at 500mA). Just don't forget to remove the widget from a home screen and stop logging when you're done, or it will keep working and wasting the battery (not much, but still unnecessary).

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse617 View Post
    I'd be weary of actually adding a magnet. The compass is weird when its on the touchstone and that would render it fairly useless. It holds even inverted with the stock discs - it wont hold up to a bumpy car ride though
    I have been using these magnets Evo and Epic for several months now (and Palm Pre before that). They hold the phone on a almost vertically mounted touchstone in a car. The phone never fell off of it. And there are almost no effect on the phone. Epic works completely as it did before. And Evo has only a slight inconvenience. When Evo is on the Touchstone, the accelerometer (or is it a gyroscope?) does not work. When I want to change the screen orientation and turn the phone while still on the Touchstone, it doesn't change the orientation. I simply need to take it off the Touchstone, rotate and put it back on. Compass, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc. work exactly the same. Without the Touchstone both phones act exactly the same as without the small magnets. My guess is that magnets in the Touchstone are much more powerful and screw the accelerometer on HTC Evo. They might do the same on HTC Evo3D.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

My original Touchstone to EVO3D mod can be seen there for reference. When I saw your pictures I was hopeful of a hardwire mod, but you don't think you can solder the contacts without breaking them? I can see how this may be appealing to people who want a bulkier phone/case to hold on to. I'm more of a minimalist. In your design you had to cut away the case but why not just put the metal discs on the outside? Although my mod doesn't necessarily void warranties by going through the USB, I would really like to see a hardwire mod that doesn't require USB at all. I've found that while traveling a Touchstone isn't always there and a microUSB is, so taking the back off each time can be a bit annoying (you need nails or a guitar pic to make this look easy). The beauty of my mod is that it can be transferred to a new phone when needed, making life easier next time.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

OK, it may be shorted on the charger, but it does not matter to the phone. The phone only "sees" what is plugged into the MicroUSB port. And my guess is that you have the trimmed microUSB jack there with pin 1 and 4 supplying electric power, and pins 2 and 3 open. The Touchstone coil on the back of the phone has only 2 contacts, + and -. And only 2 wires go from the coil to the jack.
    Your charging time example only supports my theory. 75% in 3 hours, or 100% in 4 hours. But if the phone is taking full 1000mA, then it should take 1.73 hours to fully charge the stock 1730mAh battery, if the phone is off. If it is on, and being used a little bit, then it is reasonable to expect it to fully charge in 2 hours. If it takes 4 hours to fully charge, then the phone only takes 500mA of incoming electric current. Try Current Widget - it shows (and logs) electric current, in mA, that the phone takes, net of what it uses (positive when charging, negative when not). If it reports the net current over 500mA, then you are right. The highest I saw on my Evo was 940mA. Compare it with charging from the wall charger (without Touchstone) and from a computer (should top at 500mA). Just don't forget to remove the widget from a home screen and stop logging when you're done, or it will keep working and wasting the battery (not much, but still unnecessary).
    Thats exactly how I have it. The OEM charger and cable also produce the same current. Plugged in I get just over 500mA and on the touchstone I get ~450mA at the same 4.1v (that app is really cool, I was looking for something like that when doing this)

I see what you are saying about the phone needing to see 2&3 shorted. Because it happens in the charger (non existent in the touchstone setup) there is no short. I'll have to make/trim a new cable (no big deal) and get data with those two shorted.

I have been using these magnets Evo and Epic for several months now (and Palm Pre before that). They hold the phone on a almost vertically mounted touchstone in a car. The phone never fell off of it. And there are almost no effect on the phone. Epic works completely as it did before. And Evo has only a slight inconvenience. When Evo is on the Touchstone, the accelerometer (or is it a gyroscope?) does not work. When I want to change the screen orientation and turn the phone while still on the Touchstone, it doesn't change the orientation. I simply need to take it off the Touchstone, rotate and put it back on. Compass, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc. work exactly the same. Without the Touchstone both phones act exactly the same as without the small magnets. My guess is that magnets in the Touchstone are much more powerful and screw the accelerometer on HTC Evo. They might do the same on HTC Evo3D.
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwd40 View Post
    My original Touchstone to EVO3D mod can be seen there for reference. When I saw your pictures I was hopeful of a hardwire mod, but you don't think you can solder the contacts without breaking them? I can see how this may be appealing to people who want a bulkier phone/case to hold on to. I'm more of a minimalist. In your design you had to cut away the case but why not just put the metal discs on the outside? Although my mod doesn't necessarily void warranties by going through the USB, I would really like to see a hardwire mod that doesn't require USB at all. I've found that while traveling a Touchstone isn't always there and a microUSB is, so taking the back off each time can be a bit annoying (you need nails or a guitar pic to make this look easy). The beauty of my mod is that it can be transferred to a new phone when needed, making life easier next time.
    I started with the same hope of a hardwired solution and took the risk by opening up the phone. The hard wire will be REAL tight. Maybe it can be further torn down but I didn't how myself. I already had it opened up and went with that solution. If there was even 1mm around the jack to get at the pins I'd be surprised. It could be a full solution if you count having the wart on the side which is pretty much what yours did but the wiring was routed differently because I had the option.

I thought about putting the coil/discs on the outside and just using the case but I was already inside the phone at that point. To me the $7 for the case was a non issue. The big problem is that current doesn't like to go through it, even when put directly on it! I'm sure there are some cases that work better for a fully 'external' solution. Besides, now I actually really like having the 'hole' there in the case. It gives a much better feel to the phone and you can handle it a lot easier. Doesn't really affect the added durability and reason to have a case too.

You can take the USB plug out of mine without removing the back cover but you do need to remove the case.
    -Greg

Very intuative...Though I would figure if you were that smart to do this why are you still running a Task Killer LoL. Not needed in todays android phones.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fifedogg View Post
    Very intuative...Though I would figure if you were that smart to do this why are you still running a Task Killer LoL. Not needed in todays android phones.
    It's a personal choice. And as such, it should be respected, not LOL'ed at.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Yea, I know that its not needed persay. I don't have it auto kill anything but it is a good tool after a reboot to drop the things that aren't used. It is a good interface if I have a problem with an app.
    -Greg

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Is there any conceivable way to do this without taking up the USB port? I was hoping for one, despite the potential for messy internal wiring.

EDIT - Hard to tell the actual size, but if I could run the two wires to those points on the motherboard matching the pinout that would work and allow usb functionality still I assume? The issue was the fine soldering required?
    Last edited by Avenger09; 10-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

It was access to the pins along with really fine soldering. I'm sure someone can do it so that it is 100% internal
    -Greg

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I will try and report back when the parts arrive.

In my mod, a bought the powermat receiver back for the EVO 4g. I removed the USB plug and soldered the wires from the touchstone coil to the USB pins 1 & 4. This USB plug is very low profile and does not stick out much at all. It is very easy to plug and unplug when using a straight USB plug. I do notice that my charging time is quite long. It must only be charging at 500mA. I downloaded the utility mentioned above, but not sure how to get it to collect data. How do I short pin 2 and 3 to get the full 1000mA? Another posting mentioned shorting the pins on the charger side?

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdog View Post
    In my mod, a bought the powermat receiver back for the EVO 4g. I removed the USB plug and soldered the wires from the touchstone coil to the USB pins 1 & 4. This USB plug is very low profile and does not stick out much at all. It is very easy to plug and unplug when using a straight USB plug. I do notice that my charging time is quite long. It must only be charging at 500mA. I downloaded the utility mentioned above, but not sure how to get it to collect data. How do I short pin 2 and 3 to get the full 1000mA? Another posting mentioned shorting the pins on the charger side?
    1) Current Widget - - is a widget. It only works if a widget is added to a home screen: Menu -> Add -> Widget - Current Widget, then you can change a few settings, like how often to refresh, log into a text file, etc. Without changing any settings, you'll get a 1x1 widget showing the electric current in mA, refreshing every 60 seconds, with the manual refresh button on it. Note: not every phone reports electric current to the system. I personally tested Current Widget working on HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Epic 4G, Motorola Xoom WiFi, and not working on Motorola Droid Bionic. Alternatively, if you have a multimeter (and you should, if you do any electric circuitry soldering), you can measure electric current on the touchstone coil contacts or wires going to the microUSB plug.
    2) Shorting means connecting wire or together. Just put a little bit of filler metal (solder) between pins 2 and 3. This will give the phone a signal that it is not connected to a computer and so it can draw 1000mA, instead of 500mA, from pins 1 and 4.
    3) Shorting pins on the charger side will have no effect here. (In fact, the wall charger already has pins 2 and 3 shorted.) The phone only "sees" the microUSB port (jack, plugged into it). In your current mod, the microUSB jack is only connected to the touchstone coil with pins 1 and 4. Pins 2 and 3 are open (not connected to anything or each other), which signals the phone that it is plugged into a computer data USB port, and it limits the electric current draw to 500mA and expects data exchange through pins 2 and 3.
    Good luck!

I am thinking about doing this. Bought the Palm charger and cover for 7 bucks off amazon. However I dont want the usb port to be used. I was wondering if anybody soldered the wires straight into the USB pin on the motherboard.

There are a few of them done for other phones but nothing for the EVO 3D.

I can solder with no problem.. however I need to figure out where to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by unkuser View Post
    I am thinking about doing this. Bought the Palm charger and cover for 7 bucks off amazon. However I dont want the usb port to be used. I was wondering if anybody soldered the wires straight into the USB pin on the motherboard.

There are a few of them done for other phones but nothing for the EVO 3D.

I can solder with no problem.. however I need to figure out where to do it.
    Were you able to do it?
    I am planning on doing this, but I need to find a place to solder the positive wire. I