Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How long does it take your EVO 3D to reboot?

When I first got my phone it took under a minute after about a week it started taking close to 10 minutes. I had to get a replacement phone recently and the new one is now taking just as long. Powering off with fast boot enabled it takes about 8 seconds but doing a complete restart it takes forever. Any ideas?

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Default Re: How long does it take your EVO 3D to reboot?

The issue of slow booting is something I don't get. How often are people rebooting their phone? The only time mine gets restarted is if I'm installing a new ROM version or a file from zip. Its fairly rare. So if it has to sit there for a few minutes and reboot, it doesn't bother me

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

im not sure if its a gross exaggeration or theres something seriously wrong with your phone(s) because mine on slow boot is probably about a 1minute. I haven't timed it myself but its no where near 10 minutes.

Mine takes about a minute. It will take longer if you flash a new ROM and reboot for the first time.
    Please thank me if I have helped!

Member E3DOC since 6/23/2011 Lovin' my new NS4G as well!

I'm saddened by this development. I thought I had gotten away from slow boots. My phone with fastboot off takes at least 5 minutes. 5 #%$$%#$ minutes?!?!?! WTF HTC...sigh
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009

Never takes more than a minute for mine.

Have Fast Boot enabled on my phone. Held down power button and hit "Restart". 3minutes 38 seconds later, I can use phone. I've noticed mine was always slow too. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    The issue of slow booting is something I don't get. How often are people rebooting their phone? The only time mine gets restarted is if I'm installing a new ROM version or a file from zip. Its fairly rare. So if it has to sit there for a few minutes and reboot, it doesn't bother me
    I have to reboot mine every day or every other day. I frequently have to take my phone in and out of airplane mode due to the nature of my work. It commonly is unable to get data access going again after going out of airplane mode. I can see the 3G icon, and it's flashing like it's transferring data, but the phone definitely does not have Internet access. That's really my big gripe about the EVO 3D, its inability to consistently get data rolling again once airplane mode is turned off. A long reboot cures the data problem every time.

As far as rebooting goes, I suspect it takes anywhere from 1.5 to 3 minutes or so. A shutdown then startup is far, far faster.

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

Just rebooted mine, took somewhere about 1minute 30 seconds for the whole thing. Fast boot enabled.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by onesie13 View Post
    Just rebooted mine, took somewhere about 1minute 30 seconds for the whole thing. Fast boot enabled.
    Are you powering off then turning the phone back on or selecting restart to shut it down?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    I have to quite often to swap batteries or it just randomly reboots. This has been the case on all 4 EVO 3Ds I have owned.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

im not sure if its a gross exaggeration or theres something seriously wrong with your phone(s) because mine on slow boot is probably about a 1minute. I haven't timed it myself but its no where near 10 minutes.
    I never timed it when I posted but it seemed at least 10 minutes. Someone told me that clearing the cache helps and is the reason why. So I cleared my cache and timed it. 7 minutes both times I tried it. This is my 4th 3D and for the first week it's about a minute or less then after that at least 7. Been the same on all 4

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by steelers1 View Post
    Are you powering off then turning the phone back on or selecting restart to shut it down?
    I'm doing a straight restart, haven't timed it from total powered off.

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by steelers1 View Post
    I never timed it when I posted but it seemed at least 10 minutes. Someone told me that clearing the cache helps and is the reason why. So I cleared my cache and timed it. 7 minutes both times I tried it. This is my 4th 3D and for the first week it's about a minute or less then after that at least 7. Been the same on all 4
    Are you rooted? if so what rom are you using?

If I power down and then boot back up, it takes less than 15 seconds. A reboot takes as long as two minutes.

its based on how many apps you have installed(atleast it is for me). i had about 600mb left and it took over 2 mins to reboot, cleared some apps and im up to 800+mb and it takes just under 1 min to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by 84guy View Post
    its based on how many apps you have installed(atleast it is for me). i had about 600mb left and it took over 2 mins to reboot, cleared some apps and im up to 800+mb and it takes just under 1 min to reboot.
    You know, that really does make sense. Like people who have tons of stuff on their computers. Lol, I have seen pc's that do literally take 10 minutes to boot!
    Please thank me if I have helped!

Member E3DOC since 6/23/2011 Lovin' my new NS4G as well!

I power off my device daily or every other day. I do it to keep the unit refreshed.
    I have fast boot turned off and once its completely off, i wait a few minutes. Press the power button and mine is usually on in 3-5 minutes.
    Stock Rom with latest carrier updates. Not Rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
    You know, that really does make sense. Like people who have tons of stuff on their computers. Lol, I have seen pc's that do literally take 10 minutes to boot!
    if people were smart, they would "Defrag" their hard drives at least once a month or so. this will then line everything up nice on the HD and thus have quicker boot ups.
    but you're right, having a ton of programs and stuff also turn on durring boot up can and will take forever to start up...so people, turn off all them programs that start up at boot up.
    CarrieK likes this.

oh, and my phone takes about 2 mins to do a full reboot. less if I power off then power on.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Are you rooted? if so what rom are you using?
    Nope, Not rooted

My stock unit takes at least 5 minutes with fastboot enabled.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
    if people were smart, they would "Defrag" their hard drives at least once a month or so. this will then line everything up nice on the HD and thus have quicker boot ups.
    but you're right, having a ton of programs and stuff also turn on durring boot up can and will take forever to start up...so people, turn off all them programs that start up at boot up.
    If you're not aware, phones don't actually have a hard drive. Defragmenting would do nothing since it's flash storage. There are no moving parts to slow down the disk reading process so "lining up" programs is irrelevant. Check this out (he does an ok job)
    Also guys, fast boot only works when you shut down the phone and then turn it back on. It's basically the same as hibernating your computer. If you turn off fast boot then it will go through the entire boot process. And whether fast boot is on or off it will go through the entire boot process if you choose to restart the phone. That's why it takes 15 seconds to turn on yet 1-2 minutes to restart.
    One thing I haven't figured out yet is what exactly "start automatically: auto launch task manager after device startup," does. The built in task manager doesn't really seem to do anything except give you the ability to close apps. Has anyone figured out exactly what this does?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Had to do a battery pull this morning. According to Android Assistant it took 1:13 to boot back up.

2:28 from pressing OK (in the reboot popup) until the lock screen showed up. About 4:05 until all the icons worked (instead of the generic android icon). Fast Boot checked. And just found out, that if I'm looking at the phone while it reboots, it feels like a lifetime!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast