Using a EVO 3D (or Samsung epic) in Europe?

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have red and searched, and know CDMA doesnt work in Europe most places, but am I correct that I can still use the wifi for email and either Fring or Skype?

Question 2, I love the Google maps and navigation. Will the maps work in Europe? The satellites would obviously not be sprint dependent but I didnt know if they would automatically download or would that require a data signal. Even without directions, the maps would help. Is there an app for google maps europe I could download to the sd card in advance to at least know position and major local places of interest?

2 of us have sprint and 2 have Verizon, but I dont know that that matters since both are CDMA. last choice is to purchase a europe map for my old small garmin, but I like google maps better.

Would either the samsung epic or evo 3d be better suited?

Thanks.

SirRob94

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am also getting ready to take a trip to Europe. I am not enabling my phone when I am over there because of all of the fees.

You can put your phone in airplane mode and turn on WiFi. The phone then becomes just like a PC. You can then use the phone as you would a PC when you have WiFi. Use Google Talk, What's App, Skype, Ovoo, etc. to communicate. You will still be able to check email and use the web when you have have a Wifi spot.

There are certain apps that you can use without having WiFi that might be of use. Search for the word "Offline" in the Market. For instance Trip Advisor has an app that uses the GPS in conjunction with the map & database for large cities that you can download and store on the SD card. Also there is an offline translation dictionary and an app so you can download webpages when you have a connection then read then offline.

You can test this before you go on your trip by enabling Airplane mode. Hold down the power button for a second then the phone presents an option for airplane mode.

I am also buying a battery pack that will allow me to recharge the phone several times. Goto Amazon and type "Phone external battery pack". Someone reported that the 5200mAH one gives three charges with the EVO3D.

Enjoy your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21