What is Carrier IQ?

bw75

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I read the the ENTIRE printed transcript from that guys example and I could not find ANY text messages, passwords or credit card numbers anywhere! Am I just missing it?

I mean how can people say "it collects your text messages, passwords and credit card numbers" without being able to prove that it does that?

Can you just "say" things and make it true? This is my point... I was not interested in the conspiracy theories... i was looking for some truth! I see people freaking out over the "idea" of something. Seems to me that this is not an example of how evil this program is, but rather what suckers people are for any idea you put in their head.

I am as angry as the next guy when something happens bad... but I am not going to get in an uproar because people are making unsubstantiated claims. That's what I wanted was some PROOF by somebody who knows what they are talking about, Not people repeating an article they read that said "this could possibly do this even though it doesn't do it".

I mean that is true with everything! My phone (in theory) could drive my car... but it can't!

That's awesome! I am glad you couldn't read the unencrypted information that was logged. You know, that supposedly secure https? The one that showed that
encrypted string in plain text?
Whew, good thing that it was secure and we couldn't read it.

Oh, and I never once said conspiracy theory. Simply too much info being transmitted.
lent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

rherrera30

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my EVO 4G with Revolutionary and used Root Explorer to find all files containing "IQ". There were about 8 or so. Then I simply added ".org" to their names. I got a complaint notice from the system... something like "current services needs this application", but I disregarded and rebooted. After the reboot, I checked my running apps and found that IQAgent was not running. Yes!!!

That was about 6 hours ago. So far, I've not had any problems calling, sending text, connecting via 3G or WiFi, browsing, downloading new apps from the marketplace or running existing apps.

Rooting took care of this issue, but that shouldn't have to be the case. As others have pointed out, we should be given the option of accepting or rejecting data capture and use by anyone for any reason.

Reactions: bw75

bw75

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my EVO 4G with Revolutionary and used Root Explorer to find all files containing "IQ". There were about 8 or so. Then I simply added ".org" to their names. I got a complaint notice from the system... something like "current services needs this application", but I disregarded and rebooted. After the reboot, I checked my running apps and found that IQAgent was not running. Yes!!!

That was about 6 hours ago. So far, I've not had any problems calling, sending text, connecting via 3G or WiFi, browsing, downloading new apps from the marketplace or running existing apps.

Rooting took care of this issue, but that shouldn't have to be the case. As others have pointed out, we should be given the option of accepting or rejecting data capture and use by anyone for any reason.

My point exactly. People shouldn't have to root. I'm all for rooting, but not everyone is. My arguments were for people who aren't, nor want to be rooted. That's all. We all know running a custom ROM takes care of it... Thanks for the input.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Just so you know... even though you stopped that program from running ALL of the EXACT same information is STILL on your phone being collected and is STILL view-able by anybody who hacks your phone. And the data IQ was keeping was not NEARLY as important as the stuff that is still being kept on your phone. Remember... the IQ program was NOT transmitting the information.

bw75

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know... even though you stopped that program from running ALL of the EXACT same information is STILL on your phone being collected and is STILL view-able by anybody who hacks your phone. And the data IQ was keeping was not NEARLY as important as the stuff that is still being kept on your phone. Remember... the IQ program was NOT transmitting the information.

Did you read that CNN article I posted? It looks as if someone else down the line may have has a hand in it as well.

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
And with this article I'm done with this topic. Enjoy!Carrier IQ: 'We're as surprised as you' by phone logging - Dec. 2, 2011

Again as of now you have ONE guy who put up a Youtube video that NOBODY else can seem to copy. And even in his transcript of it he has sections blanked out and says "That was my text message, I deleted it so you can't see it" like anybody would care if you saw him write "hey, Jim, I will see you in an hour"

It sure takes the credibility away when a guy says "I swear it did it but I am not going to show you that it did it".

I like the youtube video that tells people to dunk their phone in a sink of water to fix this! lol Somebody somewhere will fall for it. As it is I see people jumping through hoops to remove a piece of software that has been on their phone FOREVER never causing any problems and NO EXPERTS can find any way that this software can be any trouble to you. But one kid makes a Youtube video with everything in it redacted or "in code" and you have to take HIS word for it... and that is simply enough for some people to tear apart their phones.

I remember a phony "virus" thing going around the internet telling people to look for a file and if they had it, it meant that they were infected and they needed to remove it. It was an important system file and your computer stopped working when you removed. I repair computers and I made a Killing putting this file back on for people.

I think this is just "scare scam" number 11,546 in a LONG line of FAD scares. I don't suppose they will ever go away. lol

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you read that CNN article I posted? It looks as if someone else down the line may have has a hand in it as well.

Yes I read it... it also said that "maybe" and "possibly" but that nobody can prove that it does anything bad. All I see for SURE is that they say the program is NOT a key logger and they are not sure how the kid made the video but people who are looking into have yet to find anything!

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
"But what's not clear is whether it's entirely Carrier IQ's fault. Coward insisted that the Carrier IQ software was not responsible for the logging of keystrokes and other user data"

"Security experts say Carrier IQ's preliminary explanation makes sens"

"We don't know enough at this point"

While those things may spell a cut and dry FACT for you... It sounds to me like nobody is able to prove anything malicious is going on.

bw75

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes I read it... it also said that "maybe" and "possibly" but that nobody can prove that it does anything bad. All I see for SURE is that they say the program is NOT a key logger and they are not sure how the kid made the video but people who are looking into have yet to find anything!

He is very well known and respected in the Android community, FYI. And yes, of course they'd say it. Lol. What? OUR software is spying? No it must be someone else doing it. LOL

bw75

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
And I'm not trying to dispute your thoughts. I hope you end up being correct. I would feel better if it pans out that way.

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not trying to start a fight with anybody. All I am saying is that EVEN the 17 minute video shows NOTHING about being able to read text messages, seeing passwords or credit card numbers. Only that you 'could" if you wanted to design this software to do that. the ONLY thing that came up on there was a word he put into what he claimed was an encrypted Google search.
then EVERY article I read says "it would be horrible if somebody ever made a software that collected such information" but NOTHING saying this software DOES collect such information. In fact all of them say "There is no evidence to support that this software does collect that information"

Usually if something is true... you see LOT'S of people doing the same experiment and getting the same results. I see a TON of people on the Youtube site saying that he is not showing anybody how to check this themselves.

There are a ton of "ifs" and "it is possible" in the articles. All I am looking for is ONE other person to confirm something. I mean even the kid in the video doesn't confirm anything!

Is it wrong to want to see some form of proof of something before racing to take it off your phone? Should you not want some form of proof before messing with your phone?

Incidentally, i don't have this program on my phone so it does not even effect me. I am just curious about it am looking for anything other than speculation.

bw75

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am not trying to start a fight with anybody. All I am saying is that EVEN the 17 minute video shows NOTHING about being able to read text messages, seeing passwords or credit card numbers. Only that you 'could" if you wanted to design this software to do that. the ONLY thing that came up on there was a word he put into what he claimed was an encrypted Google search.
then EVERY article I read says "it would be horrible if somebody ever made a software that collected such information" but NOTHING saying this software DOES collect such information. In fact all of them say "There is no evidence to support that this software does collect that information"

Usually if something is true... you see LOT'S of people doing the same experiment and getting the same results. I see a TON of people on the Youtube site saying that he is not showing anybody how to check this themselves.

There are a ton of "ifs" and "it is possible" in the articles. All I am looking for is ONE other person to confirm something. I mean even the kid in the video doesn't confirm anything!

Is it wrong to want to see some form of proof of something before racing to take it off your phone? Should you not want some form of proof before messing with your phone?

Incidentally, i don't have this program on my phone so it does not even effect me. I am just curious about it am looking for anything other than speculation.

I don't either. LOL but I did enjoy the discussion.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else find Android Central's disinterest and obvious contempt for this story a little troubling?

Did anyone read Jerry Hilderbrand's post or listen to the podcast?

Did anyone read Phil's snarky post about the issue? Where's the analysis?

It's one thing to take a neutral stance, but these guys seem to have their mind made up that nothing a carrier or oem does is a big deal and nothing is ever worth getting upset about.

Fragmentation > not an issue
HTC spyware > not an issue
Loss of unlimited data on aTT and Vz > not an issue
Carrier IQ story > a few snarky posts and then condescending tones > not an issue

I'll come to the forums, but i'll get my reporting and analysis from an actual news site from now on.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else find Android Central's disinterest and obvious contempt for this story a little troubling?

Did anyone read Jerry Hilderbrand's post or listen to the podcast?

Did anyone read Phil's snarky post about the issue? Where's the analysis?

It's one thing to take a neutral stance, but these guys seem to have their mind made up that nothing a carrier or oem does is a big deal and nothing is ever worth getting upset about.

Fragmentation > not an issue
HTC spyware > not an issue
Loss of unlimited data on aTT and Vz > not an issue
Carrier IQ story > a few snarky posts and then condescending tones > not an issue

I'll come to the forums, but i'll get my reporting and analysis from an actual news site from now on.

Omg... I actually agree with you! ;)

As for people thinking that if they avoid online use thinking their information is more secure they've got another thing coming. It's already out there.

While I think some people are overreacting, there is a bit of complacency that is a bit disconcerting. No, we shouldn't overreact but we shouldn't just dismiss it either. Jmho.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I only come here for the forums my self! As far as news goes I just watch other websites for it. I do find some of the articles here interesting sometimes. Just far in between!

Either way CIQ is a big deal to some people. It is for me. So I called Sprint and told them what I thought! So now I feel better about it. :)

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I only come here for the forums my self! As far as news goes I just watch other websites for it. I do find some of the articles here interesting sometimes. Just far in between!

Either way CIQ is a big deal to some people. It is for me. So I called Sprint and told them what I thought! So now I feel better about it. :)

I think I'll email Sprint and express my concern as well. Everyone should. Now I NEED to root my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38