Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone else still annoyed by the Sense unread sms bug??

So 6 months after release and several updates and HTC still refuses to acknowledge or remedy this bug??

In case you are wondering what i'm talking about.

If you read all messages. Then send a new text and close the application, the application will read that you have an unread text, but it's the one that YOU just sent.

It also happens when you've clearly read all messages then close the application, but it will still show the messages as unread.

This isn't something obscure, this is an app that people use a million times a day, how could this be overlooked? How could people not notice this crap?!?!

/rant
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone else still annoyed by the Sense unread sms bug??

I use GoSMS Pro now but I had this problem when I was using the stock messaging app but then when messing around in its settings realized I had the Sent Notification setting (which shows notification in status bar when messages are sent) checked. I unchecked it and it stopped.
    Please thank me if I have helped!

Member E3DOC since 6/23/2011 Lovin' my new NS4G as well!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Sorry not to high jack your thread! Is GoSMS worth it? I have wanted to try it out for a while now. I hear of a few issues with it on the app market reviews. Does it play well with your phone? If so I might just bite the bullet and download it finally!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have have sent notifications unchecked and it stll persists. I tried gosms but didn't really like the interface. It's a great app, It isn't bad, it's just i'm very picky.
    Data Hog since 6/2009

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I have have sent notifications unchecked and it stll persists. I tried gosms but didn't really like the interface. It's a great app, It isn't bad, it's just i'm very picky.
    I am the same way! Picky as hell. I really like the stock app. I just see a lot of bugs with it.

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts

I enjoy GoSMS Pro very much. It is highly customizable, even in the free version, which I use. Perhaps the full version will be one of the Google ten cent apps

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts

Hmm, weird. Worked for me. Maybe I'm just special As for GoSMS PRO, I am surprised you didn't like it. Even the free version is highly customizable.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts

I am, but have learned to live with it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update we get.

Vick, I don't think that I have that bug. at least I don't see any unread messages after I just sent a PM.

I've even looked repeatedly for this bug to show up but I can't figure out why I'm not getting it. maybe there is a setting you checked/unchecked?

Harry

I also have never seen this problem. In fact, after reading this I just tried several times to see if I can make it happen and it didn't. I purchased my 3D a couple of months after it came out. Could it be an issue with early production run models?

That bug doesn't bother me so much; the one that does bother me is where you send a message and the wrong time appears...

I have this bug and it annoys the heck out of me. I'll reply to a text message and it says I have 1 unread. I look at it and it's the one I just sent.

As for the wrong time, I had that annoying bug too. I installed SMS Time Fix:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...recious.smsfix

That fixed the wrong time bug for me.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

There's also another annoying bug. I'll send a txt and get a reply quickly but it will show the response as coming before what i sent in the timeline. This is basic stuff. WTH htc...away with you!
    Data Hog since 6/2009

There's also another annoying bug. I'll send a txt and get a reply quickly but it will show the response as coming before what i sent in the timeline. This is basic stuff. WTH htc...away with you!
    Yep, I have that one too.

ROM
    Gingerbread 2.3.4

I use Handcent and have no problems.

So 6 months after release and several updates and HTC still refuses to acknowledge or remedy this bug??

In case you are wondering what i'm talking about.

If you read all messages. Then send a new text and close the application, the application will read that you have an unread text, but it's the one that YOU just sent.

It also happens when you've clearly read all messages then close the application, but it will still show the messages as unread.

This isn't something obscure, this is an app that people use a million times a day, how could this be overlooked? How could people not notice this crap?!?!

/rant

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toddpedersen View Post
    I use Handcent and have no problems.
    I used Handcent for a while and didn't have any problems with it either. Both it and GoSMS PRO are great. I switched to GoSMS PRO just to try something different. I really recommend those who are having problems with the stock app try one of these. Very customizable and free

agreed. I'm not sure this is an HTC bug but more of a sprint bug as well (at least, regarding the timestamp thing, I have seen that on other phones as well, just not as prominent as this one).

It's been happening quite a bit lately too. I don't really want to install goSMS when i like the stock one fine. Also, I'm not a fan of Go stuff seemingly releasing updates every other day it seems. And.. how the hell do they make money?

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts

Both Go and Handcent have paid services that add features such as message backup and archive. You are right, linh, the timestamp bug has been noted on other devices too. Once I deselected the Sent Notifications checkbox I never had notifications after I had sent a message again (back when I used the stock app). I even made it the default for a few days to see if it would happen and it didn't. Not saying that those who say they are having the problem aren't, just that I can't replicate it.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Go SMS is good, but I don't like the interface and the text entry area is way too small and feels restricting. Also, minor gripe, but it doesn't say who is sending what message. At a glance it's a guessing game.

It doesn't say

John Doe: Hello

Me: What's up

Petty i know, but i like that the stock app does that. A shame it's buggy as hell.
    Data Hog since 6/2009

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post
    Both Go and Handcent have paid services that add features such as message backup and archive. You are right, linh, the timestamp bug has been noted on other devices too. Once I deselected the Sent Notifications checkbox I never had notifications after I had sent a message again (back when I used the stock app). I even made it the default for a few days to see if it would happen and it didn't. Not saying that those who say they are having the problem aren't, just that I can't replicate it.
    I didn't know people actually paid for those things. I see some launcher themes as well, but it seems they would have made a killing with a cheap app.

I should add the unread bug is very inconsistent for me. It doesn't always happen, and *seems* to happen more when I swap out real quick. I think it is sometimes confused on what state it's in. I've noticed this in google talk as well. I'll hit home in a chat.. and hit google talk later to come back to it, but end up at the buddy list w/ no chats open. Similar thing happens w/ the stock SMS client at times.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

I just got my 3D this week and haven't seen this bug yet. But my phone notifies me late when I get a new message. Like my phone will notify me at 9:18 then I look at the message and it was actually received at 9:13. It used to happen on my Evo 4G, too. And it's a Sense problem because I've been on AOSP ROMs since March on and off and never had that problem.