Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Swap Evo 3d camera with Evo 4g camera?

Can the EVO 3d camera (5mp) be replaced with the Evo 4g camera (8mp)? I am not talking about the 3d camera on the Evo 3d but the 2d camera. Could this work? Thanks.

Global Posts
    968 Global Posts

Default Re: Swap Evo 3d camera with Evo 4g camera?

I know there is a hack from the HTC Amaze but I really don't think a hack from the EVO 4G simply because it is an 8 mp camera would make the EVO 3D camera any better. Also, for reasons I can't begin to technically explain (but others here can) there isn't really a noticeable difference between an 8mp and 5mp camera on a cell phone. I use the Amaze hack and it works really well. Nice UI and the default settings are really good. I think that is the problem most people have with the EVO3D camera, not the camera itself.
    Please thank me if I have helped!

Member E3DOC since 6/23/2011 Lovin' my new NS4G as well!

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I am wondering the exact same thing. hes not wondering about a software hack he means change the hardware.

Watching screen replacement I know the camera is removed. So I wonder if its possible. I dont like the camera at allll on the evo3d.

Doesn't look like it's worth the effort to me. I'm sure it's possible, but the difficulty looks rather high and you're probably going to have to modify the construction of the phone.

Things like this where a lot easier back in the 80s when I could tear apart a TV and put it all back together. But devices these days are so compacted that you really have no room to move. They were designed to fit in an exact location with no room to breathe... but if you do take on this project - you should keep us updated. I personally wouldn't do it.

Also, I don't think the Evo 4G pictures are that much better than the 3D.. if at all.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Oh my the evo pictures are far far far better than the evo3d. Ive taken thousands of photos with my evo. I returned the evo3d. The pictures were too bad. Getting the Epic.

It doesn't matter if you put an 8MP camera or 5MP camera into a cell phone. Picture quality has to do with camera sensor size, both of these are extremely small compared to a standard digicam.

While I suppose it would theoretically be possible to switch the cameras out you would run into software and kernel problems.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I shoot in RAW format with my Canon and some of the EVO photos have rivaled those photos. Not in size but in quality and color. Yes I tweaked the settings on the phone.

Sensor is not the only factor and the mp has a huge effect. Are you really saying the front facing 1.5mp camera takes the same quality photos as the backside 8?

Htc does up the sensor size
    HTC EVO 4G Review - Multimedia and Camera

And of course were comparing phones with phones not phones with Nikons or Canons.

As phones go the EVO has beaten most photos ive seen and taken myself of other phones. The 5mp 3d was vastly behind the quality of the photos I took with the evo. I look forward to seeing if the Epic Touch will be as good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swap Evo 3d camera with Evo 4g camera?-imag0271.jpg   Swap Evo 3d camera with Evo 4g camera?-imag0284.jpg   Swap Evo 3d camera with Evo 4g camera?-imag0005.jpg  

No, I'm not saying the front camera takes just as good of pictures as the back. But the sensor on the front camera is also smaller. Obviously sensor is not the end all be all decider of quality but people are fooled into thinking MP is the deciding factor which is not true at all. They could put a 20MP camera in a cell phone and it would never look as good as a quality camera with a large sensor.

Perhaps some reading is in order. Engadget Primed: Why your camera's sensor size matters -- Engadget
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

i have a sammy GS2 4g epic touch and my 3d doesnt even come close

= I look forward to seeing if the Epic Touch will be as good.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by benny3 View Post
    i have a sammy GS2 4g epic touch and my 3d doesnt even come close

Music to my ears!! Cant freaking wait! Almost want to go to sleep so I can wake up and it will be tomorrow. Tracking site says its at the distribution center. If i break in to steal my own phone is that illegal?

nah nvm I wont do that. Ill wait. I think I will get it and spend a few hours at the coffee shop then maybe a walk about to do some test photos and a few 1080 vids. Im giddy. LOL what a dork I am.
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Well i do you like so far? im not much into the cameras but i do know i like the sammys better than the 3d, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
    Music to my ears!! Cant freaking wait! Almost want to go to sleep so I can wake up and it will be tomorrow. Tracking site says its at the distribution center. If i break in to steal my own phone is that illegal?

nah nvm I wont do that. Ill wait. I think I will get it and spend a few hours at the coffee shop then maybe a walk about to do some test photos and a few 1080 vids. Im giddy. LOL what a dork I am.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by benny3 View Post
    Well i do you like so far? im not much into the cameras but i do know i like the sammys better than the 3d, what do you think?

As I fully expected the sgs2 is a superior piece of technology in most every way.

I describe it as such. A 67 Camaro with a brand new v8 425 engine. Brand new suspension and a $500 coat of primer and stock wheels.

IN other words the sgs2 is a solid state machine.

However, ironically my biggest complaint is the camera. Its a small complaint though. The camera take awesome awesome awesome photos. Dont get me wrong. The camcorder takes amazing HD as well. So great quality.

My small beef is the EVO had functions where I could adjust saturation, contrast and brightness. I could tweek and not accept a full fledged 'effect'. The phone and many many apps have 'effects'.

I want those options.

Also widgets are weak but app store makes up.

Lock screen is still old school?? really? I cant name a new lock screen at all. I could w my evo. (rooted)

So overall A. A solid A. Best phone Ive ever owned. No glitches AT ALL.

My rooted EVO 3d has beats audio installed n u can really tell the difference between a stocked E3D n a rooted 1 with beats.