ICS for EVO 3D

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com
Was Android perfect when it first released?

Do you remember all the broken WebOS promises? The missed updates? The horrid battery life?
It was a different beast altogether, being promised Adobe Flash in 2010.. then 2011, then denied it all outright.

The devices felt more abandoned than any Apple device ever. The Pre+ came out, on EVERY NETWORK EXCEPT THE ONE THE DEVICE LAUNCHED ON. That was more likely Sprint swearing off Palm, but that left me unable to upgrade IF I wanted to.

Then the company frigging announced the Pre3 LITERALLY the week before the Pre2's release. You don't do that, unless you're Palm, and you're about to release the the Palm V. Oh crap, remember that? Apparently they didn't.

Palm did EVERYTHING wrong. Everything.

250MB partition for apps. It would error out if you hit that limit and not tell you why, other than storage was full.
My favorite was how the device became a personal handwarmer right when an update was pushed, but wouldn't tell you unless you manually checked.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
as a previous HTC Eris user; dates from anyone don't mean a thing. The Eris update was 9 months late. So I'll confirm a date the day after it shows up on my phone. Sorry that sounds bitter, but I've been stuck in the cogs of massive corporate maneuvers before.
sad, but true. I bought the EVO3D out of necessity, and blind hope the modding community would pull through with custom ROMs. Unfortunately, that also means waiting a bit for a stable release that is mostly functional (4G and 3D I can live without) and a way around hboot 1.5 =)

One of the biggest things I miss from webOS though (aside from cards and swipe notifications)? WebOSdoctor... mess up? easy format and restore. I'm totally lost in the android world for something like this

rieford

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
that's the reason I came to HTC ..... Updates! Coming from being a Samsung user HTC updates a lot more frequently. Loving my E3D u can say what u want about it, but Im sticking with HTC.

ICS has some WebOS type gestures! There's no way (and I really did like WebOS) ICS with HTC's amazing Sense features should be mentioned in the same forum page as the college experiment that was Palm's last gasp.

Yes the app development has a big part of the disparity, but besides the 'cards' function, what did WebOS do even close to as well as Android?

To get back to the topic, I would give HTC the benefit of the doubt with updates. Since moving to Android from the Pre, I've had the Evo and Evo 3D and got updates whether maintenance or Android based, to be pretty well done and industry leading for non-nexus devices. I would vaguely guess mid January to mid February. They have a lot of APIs to update within a HUGE Sense file, and that'll take some time, but they'll get it out asap.

ElijahRain

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Another plus of webOS is that it's native email app has/had the most perfect implementation of an MS Exchange interface on any phone. I've tried every app on the Market to find something that works well and still I'm unsatisfied. I use Moxier - which I'm mostly happy with - until I need to update a contact. Major fail there Moxier.

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com
Another plus of webOS is that it's native email app has/had the most perfect implementation of an MS Exchange interface on any phone. I've tried every app on the Market to find something that works well and still I'm unsatisfied. I use Moxier - which I'm mostly happy with - until I need to update a contact. Major fail there Moxier.

That was the one saving grace of WebOS. The mail program WAS awesome. It detected IMAP/POP3 settings SO intelligently.

truk999

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I want ICS on my HTC EVO 3D!!!

I still do too, but after getting the vanilla ICS update for my WiFi Xoom, I'm not nearly as excited for it. There is just so much that ICS has exactly right, but most of it won't even matter as HTC is just going to splatter their Sense garbage all over it. I'm not really saying that I hate Sense 3.0, but now that I've seen what Google has done, it suddenly seems that it cannot be anything more than dated and redundant bloat.

At this point, unless a dev cranks out an ICS ROM that makes WiMax and the 3D camera 100% fuctional, things really aren't that bad on Gingerbread and I'd rather they take their time and get it out when it's good and ready, if at all.

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me if it's been over-asked; I didn't see it in this thread, how would the ICS 3 bottom-row buttons work on the 3d?
I can tell from the ICS emulator that the menu button gets added to the bottom right for the galaxy nexus compatibility with apps relying on the old 4-button layout, and I really like that actually, but going in the other direction, I don't want to see two sets of android bottom menus (the orig 4 plus the new ICS 3).. nor do I want those 4 capacitative buttons remapped to the ICS 3 in the wrong order..

I wonder how the ICS roms are dealing with this.

Hopefully they'll stick to a button layout longer than Microsoft sticks to an office interface.

tokuzumi

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if it's been over-asked; I didn't see it in this thread, how would the ICS 3 bottom-row buttons work on the 3d?
I can tell from the ICS emulator that the menu button gets added to the bottom right for the galaxy nexus compatibility with apps relying on the old 4-button layout, and I really like that actually, but going in the other direction, I don't want to see two sets of android bottom menus (the orig 4 plus the new ICS 3).. nor do I want those 4 capacitative buttons remapped to the ICS 3 in the wrong order..

I wonder how the ICS roms are dealing with this.

Hopefully they'll stick to a button layout longer than Microsoft sticks to an office interface.

Phone that had physical/capacitive buttons will still use the buttons. The "virtual" buttons will not be displayed.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Phone that had physical/capacitive buttons will still use the buttons. The "virtual" buttons will not be displayed.

I really hope this is the case for HTC phones but looking at the HTC flyer after Honeycomb update the capacitive buttons became disabled.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Honeycomb was designed to only have on screen buttons for tablets.

I've got a nexus a and there are no on screen buttons and the phones original buttons work just fine

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, ICS is suppose to provide a similar interface for both tablets and phones. Most tablets don't have physical navigation buttons, so on screen navigation is needed. Most ICS ROMs for the E3D that I have run all utilize the physical buttons and do not display the on screen buttons at all. There are way to enable them, but they are uneeded since the physical buttons work normally. I would imagine that an officail release of ICS from HTC will utilize the physical buttons and prevent the use of on screen buttons altogether.

axne123

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, ICS is suppose to provide a similar interface for both tablets and phones. Most tablets don't have physical navigation buttons, so on screen navigation is needed. Most ICS ROMs for the E3D that I have run all utilize the physical buttons and do not display the on screen buttons at all. There are way to enable them, but they are uneeded since the physical buttons work normally. I would imagine that an officail release of ICS from HTC will utilize the physical buttons and prevent the use of on screen buttons altogether.

I'm with you. We don't need the extra buttons

Sent using HTC Evo 3d Swype.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon