ICS for EVO 3D

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
as a previous HTC Eris user; dates from anyone don't mean a thing. The Eris update was 9 months late. So I'll confirm a date the day after it shows up on my phone. Sorry that sounds bitter, but I've been stuck in the cogs of massive corporate maneuvers before.

campanth

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but HTC has been much more successful at updating Sprint phones than Verizon phones. The original EVO 4G had Gingerbread before the EVO 3D was released. HTC said quarter 1 and that is when I expect it. Now when within quarter 1 is another story. Hopefully closer to January 1st than March 31st, but we will have to wait and see.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
HTC has been pretty good about most updates. A few devices could have been better I am sure. But for the most part their track record is much better than other companies. Such as Samsung...Just saying :)

Either way I look forward to it. But I'd rather have WebOS on my device to be honest. So if they ever get a fully working ROM I will be moving back over! :p

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
ICS has some WebOS type gestures! There's no way (and I really did like WebOS) ICS with HTC's amazing Sense features should be mentioned in the same forum page as the college experiment that was Palm's last gasp.

Yes the app development has a big part of the disparity, but besides the 'cards' function, what did WebOS do even close to as well as Android?

To get back to the topic, I would give HTC the benefit of the doubt with updates. Since moving to Android from the Pre, I've had the Evo and Evo 3D and got updates whether maintenance or Android based, to be pretty well done and industry leading for non-nexus devices. I would vaguely guess mid January to mid February. They have a lot of APIs to update within a HUGE Sense file, and that'll take some time, but they'll get it out asap.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
ICS has some WebOS type gestures! There's no way (and I really did like WebOS) ICS with HTC's amazing Sense features should be mentioned in the same forum page as the college experiment that was Palm's last gasp.

Yes the app development has a big part of the disparity, but besides the 'cards' function, what did WebOS do even close to as well as Android?

To get back to the topic, I would give HTC the benefit of the doubt with updates. Since moving to Android from the Pre, I've had the Evo and Evo 3D and got updates whether maintenance or Android based, to be pretty well done and industry leading for non-nexus devices. I would vaguely guess mid January to mid February. They have a lot of APIs to update within a HUGE Sense file, and that'll take some time, but they'll get it out asap.

I agree 100%. People are still delusional about what webOS could have been and what it actually was. To put it bluntly it was a laggy, underpowered, slow, poorly coded and weak OS. All it had going for it was cards and Google now has that. I don't see what webOS could bring to the table today. You think Android touch sensitivity still needs work compared to iOS? WebOS was a disaster to use as a touch interface. It was just too laggy and slow. There I said it.

Reactions: TuffGong

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com
Yeah, every time people prop up WebOS on the software, I have to point out how lacking it was and still is.

I loved being unable to open a single webpage because of full memory. Games recommended a fresh reboot before playing, not cool when it took 4 minutes.

Then you had to deal with the lacking APIs and horrible horrible graphics on it.

The ONLY innovation was the cards AND the gestures below the screen. I would prefer that the capacitive buttons worked like that.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The cards view was amazing. It truly does multi-task as well. As far as being laggy on some devices yes it was. If you see the Pre3 in person there is no lag at all. So it was really the hardware holding it back. I think seeing a device like The Evo 3D would change all of that.

Does WebOS need work too? Sure it does. HP screwed that all up. The UI was awesome IMO. Not widgets but it was a nice in between iOS and Android. WebOS could have been something amazing. In my eyes it still could be. I miss WebOS on my phone. I liked it more than I like Android.

Android is still laggy. Even on the Evo 3D is slows down at times. Like any other OS it also has its down falls. I wont go any further into this because its not meant to be a flaming war. I like them both but for entirely different reasons. Having the choice of both would be pretty badass though IMO! So lets just put it on the Christmas list for next year yeah?

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing that also needs to be acknowledged about WebOS is/was the notifications system. You see influences of it in the new iOS and with ICS as well. Being able to swipe away a notification at a time is pretty big for me.

But be honest, your 'multitasking' was nothing more than a different visualization of 'recent places/apps.' Because you can have all the cards in the world that you want up and off to the side of the screen, but you focus back on them and they had to refresh/reload anyway. True multitasking would require you to split the screen with more than one card, and that is tablet/desktop type work, not even a normal techie need for a smartphone.

And let's also re-examine this idea about the 'lag' on the Evo3D. The true cause isn't Android, as much as the Sense UI. It's a HUGE file and has such a wide breadth of enhancements, most of which are not used much (Friend Stream, People app, Car Panel, etc) that it slows down the responsiveness. Take the HTC hardware and put a pure 'Nexus' ICS on it and there would be zero lag. But then you lose the animations (which are second to no other manufacturer in graphics) and don't forget the amazing lock screen!

All that being said, we are high jacking the thread now.

Another question besides when will we get ICS to be pondered: will we get all the enhancements featured in the Galaxy Nexus, such as zero shutter lag? I would assume lock screen stuff will still be controlled by Sense, but will that also mean that it'll be HTC's camera UI??? Any thoughts on what will be covered up by HTC's modifications?

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, every time people prop up WebOS on the software, I have to point out how lacking it was and still is.

I loved being unable to open a single webpage because of full memory. Games recommended a fresh reboot before playing, not cool when it took 4 minutes.

Then you had to deal with the lacking APIs and horrible horrible graphics on it.

The ONLY innovation was the cards AND the gestures below the screen. I would prefer that the capacitive buttons worked like that.

Was Android perfect when it first released?

Reactions: KnoxBNYC#AC

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
as a previous HTC Eris user; dates from anyone don't mean a thing. The Eris update was 9 months late. So I'll confirm a date the day after it shows up on my phone. Sorry that sounds bitter, but I've been stuck in the cogs of massive corporate maneuvers before.
What he said....^ Actually, sense 3.0 is working ok for me. I hope ICS don't come messing up everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678