Replacing out of warranty

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com
So, after talking with someone that has an Evo 3D has no trouble getting a 4G signal, I've come to realize my antenna is crap inside, and it's not a design flaw that everyone has.
I got it from the premier launch, back in June, so it's been many months.

What's my best course of action to get the phone replaced as cheap as possible? Just go to the store and ask politely? I'll probably have to flash back to the standard ROM, but if it means working 4G I'm fine with that, since I'm paying a forced $10 a month for it.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So, after talking with someone that has an Evo 3D has no trouble getting a 4G signal, I've come to realize my antenna is crap inside, and it's not a design flaw that everyone has.
I got it from the premier launch, back in June, so it's been many months.

What's my best course of action to get the phone replaced as cheap as possible? Just go to the store and ask politely? I'll probably have to flash back to the standard ROM, but if it means working 4G I'm fine with that, since I'm paying a forced $10 a month for it.

The warranty is really a non-issue, if you have TEP. If you drop it in the toilet, you have to pay the fee and they ship you a replacement. But if there is a physical problem, or an electrical problem, with the device, take it to a Sprint service center and they will attempt to repair it. If they can't (and I will assume they can't repair your antenna) they will ordere a replacement for you. No charge. Your other alternative is to go through Tech Support on the phone. While it takes some work to actually get a real tech on the phone, they can also order a replacement device for you through Advanced Exchange. The benefit of that is the device is shipped out that day, if you call early enough, and they overnight it to you. Through the store, it will take several days.

Thaty being said, if you don't have TEP and the warranty is expired... I would call and have TEP added to your plan and then wait for a month or so and then proceed with the claim. Otherwise you will be oin the hook for any repairs made by Sprint or HTC.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I had mine replaced 2 days after adding TEP, all it takes is for sprint to see that the phone has been active on your account.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeh HTC
Call them.you have a one year warranty with HTC. They will fix it for you. But you will be with out the phone for 2 weeks to a month.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
buyer beware. Sprint has the worst customer service for tech support that I have ever seen in my whole life. that's why I left them I have two htc evil 3ds :mad: I will sell to anyone here because I've moved on to Gnex with Verizon.
my new phone should be here today. I have to say if you don't live in a reliable 4 g network leave sprint as fast as possible it's not worth it as much is your payin to not get full 3g or only be able to download at 60 kilobytes per second that's not standard, and if it is...... Well then this is not the future :D
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
buyer beware. Sprint has the worst customer service for tech support that I have ever seen in my whole life. that's why I left them I have two htc evil 3ds :mad: I will sell to anyone here because I've moved on to Gnex with Verizon.
my new phone should be here today. I have to say if you don't live in a reliable 4 g network leave sprint as fast as possible it's not worth it as much is your payin to not get full 3g or only be able to download at 60 kilobytes per second that's not standard, and if it is...... Well then this is not the future :D

i have always thought sprint was pretty decent, you just need to talk to the right department . i mean i have had my share with an idiot but all in all not to bad

shoot me a PM with the Price on the 3d

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com
Well, I wiped my phone back to stock and unrooted, took it to Sprint, without going on TEP, and they confirmed it was bunk. Gave me a choice. Free replacement with HTC or $35 there.
Called up HTC and they said it'd be free unless they found neglect or damage on it. (One corner is a bit chipped because I dropped it.) Then it'd be $220. Regardless, it'd be 6-10 business days after shipping to them for them to repair it.

Free... but there's a strong chance they don't repair, and for 2 weeks without a phone? F THAT.
I paid the $35 at the store, and it's backordered, so when a replacement comes in, I get a phone call.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I do get 4G and very reliable 3G and have my original purchased-before-launch EVO 3D and still love it. Sorry your experience was so bad but wait 'til ol' Big Red hits you in the pocketbook. Ouch! ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1