Evo 3d screen freezing and acting strange.

beekermartin

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been dealing with this for awhile now. I'll try to describe the problem the best I can.

Sometimes when I first turn on the screen it will freeze after I unlock it. I am not using a password just the normal slide to unlock. I then have to turn the screen off and back on for it to respond. Sometimes that will happen a few times before the screen works normally.

Besides the freezing it sometimes selects things by itself when I am not touching the screen. For example, I will unlock it, hit phone, then it will randomly do three things in a row without me touching the screen. Like selecting a name in my phone book and calling them! Then it won't let me end the call and I have to pull the battery! Sometimes it will suddenly open an app or switch to the camera. It is like I am touching the screen to select something but I am not touching the screen.

Basically the screen does something strange every third time or so that I use the phone. Usually turning the screen on and off gets it working again but not every time. Other times I can play Angry Birds for a half hour and it works perfectly.

I went to the Spring store and they told me they want to do a hard reset. I've been down that road too many times with other phones. That never works for a problem like this. I believe there is something wrong with the screen itself. I would like to get some more information to prove my theory so I don't have to deal with the back and forth at the Sprint store. I searched on google and found some information about the "digitizer" being a common failure issue with the 3d. I assume the digitizer is part of the screen.

Any help I can get I appreciate. I hate going to the Spring repair/store. It is complete torture!!!

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The screen is just the glass. The Digitizer is what actually senses your touch input. It does sound like yours is flaking out. My wife had the same issues with her Epic 4G Touch - the menu button was constantly being pressed by a ghost. That little menu would pop up and down 20 or 30 times before it would stop by itself.

You could always tell the store tech that you just performed the hard-reset yourself. Or call tech support on the phone and let them walk you through it and they will note in the system that a hard-reset had been done. Meanwhile, you just play some PS3 instead of actually completing the hard-reset. But the fact is the phone will probably get replaced so a hard-reset is a moot point. They may actually take care of it on the phone and ship a new one out to you.

beekermartin

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I will try to call Sprint tech support tomorrow and play the game. I have had enough issues with phones through the years to know when something is hardware related. I know that a hard reset won't fix this issue.

So the digitizer can't be replaced? They will have to replace the entire phone?

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to get a new phone and start over from scratch downloading and installing apps. If that is the only way then I guess I have no choice. I was hoping they could replace just the "digitizer" and that would fix it.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So the digitizer can't be replaced? They will have to replace the entire phone?
No, the digitizer can be replaced easily. I just don't know if the techs at a Sprint store actually do that. I doubt it, but they may. It usually gets replaced with the glass itself. I have an Epic 4G that had a cracked screen and they replaced that in store, new digitizer and all, so maybe they will. It's not that hard or time consuming, if you have the right tools. You can find them online at dozens of places for $20 or so. But since you have TEP (I assume), or certainly the balance of the mfg warranty, you wouldn't do it yourself anyway.

Last edited:

smr260

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem with my EVO 4G. It's manageable, but it makes me question the quality of HTC products (this is my second EVO, the first had to be replaced because of another issue).

apcmiami

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
You can buy the while LCD/digitizer on Ebay for probably under 100. Some guys even throw in the case. All you got to transfer over is the motherboard

Sent from my freshevo 3d on the now network

beekermartin

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
After three weeks I finally picked up a new Evo 3d today. They couldn't replace the digitizer so they ordered me a new phone. The new phone's screen is working great. Thats the good news. The bad news is it restarts every five minutes! I just got off the phone with Sprint and they are mailing me another one next week. I am completely feed up with this phone. This is my second droid and I have had nothing but problems with both of them. I guess I am just unlucky. Most people seem to have no issues. I owned a Shift before the 3d and I had to get that replaced twice because of issues. Now I am going on my third 3d! WTF!!!

I have removed the battery, checked for updates, and powered off and on countless times. After I remove the battery it seems to work well for a little while. Then it will suddenly restart. Once it restarts that first time after replacing the battery it will restart every 4-5 minutes. Even while it is just sitting on my nightstand not being used. It restarted @10 times while I was driving in the car and not using it. My bluetooth would lose connection and then reconnect when the phone restarted. What the hell could be causing this problem? I already applied a screen protector which I am obvioulsy going to lose on and I spent $40 for the replacement phone even knowing it is under warratny. Now I have to wait for another phone and buy another screen protector!

JulieB1112

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a question about them replacing the digitizer and/or replacing the phone.

Is that something that is covered under the warranty or is it a phone defect and can be done even if there is no warranty?

famhang

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
i have an htc evo 3d
its been thrown around a couple of times
the phone turns on and all and it works
but the touch screen is kinda messed up.
in certain areas it will work but in other areas it wont work
can you guys help me figure out the problem and what i need to buy to fix it or is it even worth it?