Why do only SOME of my text messages are dated 8+ hours wrong?

isallnotone

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's only for a few messages. They are off by like 8 hours sometimes! I am using the default SMS app (are there any better ones?)

Why is it doing this?!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why do only SOME of my text messages are dated 8+ hours wrong

Could be there was a tower issue in your area. I had this happen before and called Sprint on it, they confirmed they had malfunctioning towers that normally handled the SMS/MMS and secondary towers handled the messages which caused the delay/delayed time stamp.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm guessing you're in the Pacific time zone?

It happens when the phone is roaming and you receive a message. It can't get the correct network time reference, so it defaults to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) because that's the universal world time which all time zones reference (and the time that SMS uses).

It's not the app specifically, though there may be other apps that will reference the phones internal time when time stamping messages, but I don't know of any.

Davethebrewer

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

There is an app in the Market "SMS Time Fix" that can mostly fix the time stamp issue that seems to be caused by roaming. I installed it on both of our phones and have not had the problem since then.

Faint

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm using SMS Time Fix as well, it's fixed that problem as far as I know so far - there are still some problems with sequencing when messages are sent in the same minute though.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I have only seen this when I am roaming on a Verizon tower....Could this be your issue? Mine is 3 hours ahead for me when I roam in Vermont.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles