Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default General Message on the state of Sprint and their Evo line

I don't completely agree with Sprint "having" to give us some sort of extra incentive in general (as nice as it would be), as they are a company like the rest of them trying to flourish. Let them get back on their feet.

That being said I do think Sprint should do something somewhat special for those early adopters who have had to deal with slower, intermittent or non-existent 4G signals, and less than stellar 3G signals. We of the Evo line of phones have had the best phones yet without the best throughput and coverage due to poor calculations on Sprint's part. Sure, I forgive them already (as long as LTE is implemented fast enough hehe) but I do think that some restitution should be had in lieu of the "smartphone" $10 fee (and don't you dare call it a 4G fee). I'd hate for it to get to class action status, but I fear it has potential to be which could impair Sprint's ability to climb the ranks and remain a contender with the other 3 networks. If this is not their year...who knows if they'll ever catch up.

I have confidence, not blind but loyal, and hope they make good on what they say they are going to do.
    cosmos0001 likes this.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Default Re: General Message on the state of Sprint and their Evo line

I've had both the Evo 4G and the Evo 3D within weeks of each coming out. I'm supposedly in an area with "4g" wimax, but the signal has been spotty. I just caved in last week and got myself the Galaxy Note. I really didn't want to go to AT&T, but with my 25% corporate discount and $150 for the phone, it was too good to pass up. Having tried LTE for a week now...it's pretty amazing. On the lowside, I get around 2.5mbps. I've gotten as high as 56mbps in several places.

I really like Sprint's customer service and hopefully in a year or so, they'll have a good LTE network up and running and I'd be more than happy to switch back(although I'm getting really used to this big screen). I would hold off on committing to a 2 year contract on any wimax phone at this point though.
    Thanked by:
    samboy 

I have to agree the service has not improved in the past year. 4G is not usable in a mobile situation. 3g is just getting pounded by new subscribers and data hogs (ok I know it's unlimited but it's really meant for phone data not hook you laptop up unless you pay to play).
    I suspect LTE is a long way off for sprint.

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

I can't speak for the rest of the nation but here in orange county, i get around 2mbps for 3g in certain areas that have had the recent tower upgrades.

ROM
    clean rom ics

I am in an area with 4g and I can get on it many places I go. We do not yet have EVDO.b but I am hoping we will soon. Once you get used to 4g, it is hard when you get on a 3g EVDO.a connection.
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky driving is not for you.

ROM
    stock

Don't sugar coat the issue everyone. Being nice doesn't get you somewhere. Making a valid factual point does. I never get 4g signals. I hate paying for something I'm not getting.
    famedflea likes this.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos0001 View Post
    Don't sugar coat the issue everyone. Being nice doesn't get you somewhere. Making a valid factual point does. I never get 4g signals. I hate paying for something I'm not getting.
    I totally agree with ya there. I have been wanting to call CSV and tell them to take off their so called 4G smartphone fee because we have like one 4G tower, if that, in our town and I do not live close to it much less ever use it often enough to pay any kind of Fee just cause my phone has the 4g antenna inside it. That's complete and utter BS. I don't even travel that much at all and have yet to use it in any city near mine that actually has 4g towers. Sprint needs to get their crap together and fast.. Cause Verizon is now implementing their LTE in our town and I might be switching, if needed.

Sent from my PG86100
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

Here's the thing, they've said time and time again that its not a "4G tax" so you really can't complain. With so many users on their cheap plans and old grandfathered plans like sero they're losing money all the time even when they add a huge amount of new subscribers like their last quarter. You can't expect them to have the capital to roll out a new technology, make improvements on current towers, and still keep the same low price.

All of their competitions have increased their prices and removed unlimited over the past few years, why shouldn't they? I'm all for the lower prices, i have a grandfathered plan myself, but i'm smart enough to understand that new tech/networks don't just appear out of thin air.
    VickMackey#AC likes this.
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

it was a 4g charge when it first started out, it only applied to phones that had 4g and now its for premieum data, what premeium data? here in Mich. there is only one city that has 4g and no plans to upgrade any where else

Quote Originally Posted by onesie13 View Post
    Here's the thing, they've said time and time again that its not a "4G tax" so you really can't complain. With so many users on their cheap plans and old grandfathered plans like sero they're losing money all the time even when they add a huge amount of new subscribers like their last quarter. You can't expect them to have the capital to roll out a new technology, make improvements on current towers, and still keep the same low price.

All of their competitions have increased their prices and removed unlimited over the past few years, why shouldn't they? I'm all for the lower prices, i have a grandfathered plan myself, but i'm smart enough to understand that new tech/networks don't just appear out of thin air.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

They really need to do a better job of getting up to "speed" (pun intended). The only place in Omaha is in a mile radius of the minor league ball park they co-sponsor. Not the biggest city but certainly larger than a lot of the smaller communities that have Sprint 4G elsewhere in the country, what gives in the planning/implementation department there. We've been #3 on the list for over a year to get 4G, must have misplaced the list.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

I do think it is wrong to charge this extra 10 fee for premium data when there is no premium data to be had, I purchased my Evo 3D in frustration to begin with I wanted to stay with WebOS. We all have seen how that has turned out. I purchased my current phone, anticipating 4 g would be available by now! I am 48 Miles away from Cleveland which has 4 g and there is still no movement out towards me here in Akron!! I do think Sprint should have had better plans to execute than this!! Now they are switching to LTE and I still have not even got to use 4g WIMAX!! I have been with Sprint for 12 years now, have been patient, but I am getting Tired! I am jealous of dcfella I want the Samsung Note also! lol and I am tempted to get the service myself just so I can get the faster speeds, and what can I say but Da*#!! The Phone is big, but I am trying to wait. I do hope it comes to Sprint if I am patient enough, Lord knows I have been so far lol.

Global Posts
    551 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Is Sprint continuing to add Wimax or have they stalled on it's development? We have 2 spots here in Madison WI that I am aware of that you can get a 4G connection. None of them are near me, so I never turn on my 4G radio. Verizon, AT&T and now US Cellular ALL have 4G either here now, or coming very soon. Very tempting to switch carriers if Sprint doesn't get moving soon.

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by benny3 View Post
    it was a 4g charge when it first started out, it only applied to phones that had 4g and now its for premieum data, what premeium data? here in Mich. there is only one city that has 4g and no plans to upgrade any where else
    Look, fact of the matter is everyone increased their rates and so did sprint. Everyone just gets better out of shape because it's called premium data on sprint. If they had just increased the base price of plans $10 it would've prevented alot of this whining. Sprint has been losing money for years, I don't know how you could've expected any "premium data" without them having any capital. Sprint is a business just like any other and without increasing their fees to match the competition they would go under.

I know it sucks that wimax rollout was terrible, that's what happen when you back the wrong kind of technology. I personally think they made the right choice in cutting their loses and stop expanding wimax and work on LTE since that seems to be way things are headed. I get 4g here but I never use it because it gets spotty depending on where I live and, but like I've said I've found their recent 3g improvements acceptable so I can live with that for now.
    VickMackey#AC likes this.

I think it's considered "premium data" because it is for any and all smartphones - whether they have a 4G antenna or not now - because smartphones have a constant data connection for push services, etc.

I live in Dallas, and just moved 10 miles and now have a WiMAX connection. I'm generally happy with 3G, but watching movies is much better with the faster connection. I'm looking forward to LTE, though, for tethering purposes (I pay for it - it makes more sense in my situation because I'm hardly ever home, so why have a dedicated home connection when 5gb is plenty for me?).

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

I hope there is a class action. Sprint has not delivered. I have had the 4 G and now the 3 D. I had the 4 G on day one. To this day sprint has not offically introduced 4 g to Indianapolis. Yet I have been paying that $10 per month extra all this time. In fact I am paying that $10 on two other phones. No 4g.
    Sprint has also restructured their billing. Now you percentage discount does not maximize your discount. Your bill will go up slightly, because they have lowered your overall bill for two lines by deducting the $19.99 out of the bill, putting it back in outside of the (discount won't apply to the second line) percentage discount and then taking the $19.99 back out.
    Sue them I say.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Coverage map shows my area has 4g but not really... I beraly use 4g....l agree they shouldn't chart that $10...

Quote Originally Posted by Makad View Post
    Sprint has also restructured their billing. Now you percentage discount does not maximize your discount. Your bill will go up slightly, because they have lowered your overall bill for two lines by deducting the $19.99 out of the bill, putting it back in outside of the (discount won't apply to the second line) percentage discount and then taking the $19.99 back out.
    Sue them I say.
    Yep I got that too. I started a chat to complain and they gave me a 6 month ($30) credit. But, I still plan to call the number they gave me (888-211-4727) and tell them that since what was two lines for $130 is now one line for $110 and a second for $20, which is not a plan that Sprint offers, they have broken the contract and I am entitled to cancel it without an ETF if I choose. I'll let you know how it goes.

Even if I didn't get 4G, which I do, I'd still pay the 10 bucks for premium data. Why? Because I used close to 20GB last month without tethering. That's about as premium as it gets.
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009

Keep in mind people, they charge that exact same fee to every iPhone user which beat us android users out two to one, trust me. No iPhone gets "4G" even if its available in the area. Think of it as an unlimited data fee and stop crying all over the forums. LTE will be here soon then you will cry you no longer have unlimited data lol...
    onesie13 likes this.

ROM
    stock

Thumbs down Re: General Message on the state of Sprint and their Evo line

here's the thing, they've said time and time again that its not a "4g tax" so you really can't complain. With so many users on their cheap plans and old grandfathered plans like sero they're losing money all the time even when they add a huge amount of new subscribers like their last quarter. You can't expect them to have the capital to roll out a new technology, make improvements on current towers, and still keep the same low price.

capitalistic greedy liar.

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Even if I didn't get 4G, which I do, I'd still pay the 10 bucks for premium data. Why? Because I used close to 20GB last month without tethering. That's about as premium as it gets.
    I second this. I average 12 to 16gb per month.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

ROM
    CleanRom 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos0001 View Post
    capitalistic greedy liar.
    Not sure how im a "capitalist greedy liar". I'm not employed by sprint nor do i get any profit from pointing out the fact. Are you implying in fact that sprint can have network improvements and install new LTE towers from thin air? I'm just tried of people still whining over the "4G tax" when its clearly been stated that it applies to all smartphones. Seems like a clear cut case of NIMBY, everyone wants improvements but they don't want to pay the price for it.

Three things to learn in any business.

1. People want it all.

2. They want it right now.

3. They don't wanna pay for it!

Now, calling someone a 'greedy capitalist liar' is sheer folly. Without incentives, people sit on their lazy cans and expect someone to give them what they want.

Sprint stepped in a pile of something warm and brown. They tried to tell everyone it was hot chocolate. Call it WiMax, but it was a bad business decision. With a proprietary network, you aren't open to cross carrier deals on roaming. You 'force' manufacturers to make devices that are limited in utility and resale value. Someone else's castoff is another's treasure.

Well, I'm getting ready to upgrade phones. Whether I choose BlackBerry, Android, or WP, There's gonna be a $10 a month bump in my rate because I'm buying a smartphone.

That's the price I pay to play. Yeah, the folks that got the 4G got the bite earlier. Was it fair? Yes, and no.

So we get two Photons, we're gonna pay the $10 extra a month, regardless. My wife won't have coverage, but being as I travel the country for my job, I'll at least get to use what 4G exists.

WiMax is dying in it's toddler stage. We will own the BetaMax of the smartphone data war.

Sometimes, you just don't have a good day. But, another is coming with the dawn.

And by the time LTE has a chance to propagate, we'll be ready for upgrades, with a system we'll actually be able to use, likely, in more than just our "local" areas.
    Wiley_11 and onesie13 like this.

No.. it is all BS.. first of all, they call it a 4G network/phone.. I'm in Arizona.. a state that never even had 4G announced. Especially hearing all of the lies from employees for years hearing them say "they are putting up 4G towers as we speak in Arizona" not only that, the 3g is slow too.. I really hope this becomes a class action lawsuit..

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Look, fact of the matter is everyone increased their rates and so did sprint. Everyone just gets better out of shape because it's called premium data on sprint. If they had just increased the base price of plans $10 it would've prevented alot of this whining. Sprint has been losing money for years, I don't know how you could've expected any "premium data" without them having any capital. Sprint is a business just like any other and without increasing their fees to match the competition they would go under.

I know it sucks that wimax rollout was terrible, that's what happen when you back the wrong kind of technology. I personally think they made the right choice in cutting their loses and stop expanding wimax and work on LTE since that seems to be way things are headed. I get 4g here but I never use it because it gets spotty depending on where I live and, but like I've said I've found their recent 3g improvements acceptable so I can live with that for now.
    Totally agree. Sad, but true.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast